• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Often the deer population goes up when subdivisions get built. The human population discourages gun hunting and yet there is still enough room for the deer to lay up for shelter and still forage for food.
    Connected to subdivision building we have a sales tax vote coming up for Santa Rosa County and Real Estate industry along with their allies are lining all of the major road ways with signs supporting the sales tax. This meant to make the citizens and also visitors in Santa Rosa County, FL pay the full social costs connected with a drastically increased population for new schools, roads, police-fire, etc.

Got a picture of this doe and 3 fawns early this morning, Ball property. On a funnier note though, the “Pro Penny” sign less than a mile down the road was knocked over, at the base. I’m also in for a big “No” to the tax. No taxation without representation...
    .... photo of the deer right at 7 am. She was definitely watching me though. As for the sign, looked like someone pushed it over. I think they used 1 x 4’s. I didn’t do it, dashcam will back me up on that, just thought it was kind of amusing.
    doe 3 fawns wd bine.jpg

Screenshot_2019-09-09 Group forms to oppose Santa Rosa's sales tax initiative.jpg

Attachments

• doe 3 fawns wd bine.jpg
      doe 3 fawns wd bine.jpg
      89.5 KB · Views: 296
    • Screenshot_2019-09-09 Group forms to oppose Santa Rosa's sales tax initiative.jpg
      Screenshot_2019-09-09 Group forms to oppose Santa Rosa's sales tax initiative.jpg
      149.1 KB · Views: 237

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    LOL, SRC is going to penny us to death. .1 cent tax extra for roads, really? What are they doing with the local gas tax now, besides Mismanagement of funds? Seems like Woodbine road gets resurfaced every 5 years whether it's needed or not.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Wouldn' t the increase in more housing and increase in land cost increase more taxes bring in more revenue, may be we need to vote for more respective that knows how to manage the funds better, I know this is new idea. I saw 5-6 about the same time beside 98 on several times they come op in people back yard in the point Washington area. just my 5 cents jj

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tax revenues from property and similar has gone up. The problem for Pace, FL due to the population increase they need 4 lanes instead of two on woodbine road. And they like need to get started on it now. The local schools are at maximum capacity and so they need to start building now.

Many of us say the population increase is due to the residential housing boom and that the builders should be required to pay impact fees as was the law until about 2008. BOCC member Sam Parker for Pace, FL is a realtor and close friend of one of the major builders. They pray together at the same church. Impact fees make it harder for them to sell houses at a profit. Fact is the impact fees by themselves will probably not pay for everything that is needed, but would be a fair contribution from the building industry. If they reinstate the impact fees most of us will vote for a sales tax if it is still needed.
    The sales tax may pass anyway since they are promising some groups a bit of pork from it and many are not aware of the issues.

nitro

Tired and retired.
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I'm not voting for it unless they include impact fees on new construction. We're getting taxed to death.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Then why pray tell why they resurfaced woodbine like a year ago if they need to 4-lane it? Why not use that money to widen it instead of wasting it? Especially since it didn't need resurfacing and it was done not too long ago before that. And how far do they need to 4-lane woodbine, up to Quintet? They have or are told this ideology of, If you don't spend what you have in your budget, then you won't get more the following budget. So they WASTE it to get it off their books.
    And have you really ever known a County Commissioner who wasn't in office for himself and for his good ole buddies? If I was a realtor and a Co. Comm., I wouldn't want to lose any of "MY" profits either, but not by stealing from others to keep it. But that just goes to show you, you're bocc man isn't looking out for you or anyone but himself and his good ole realtor buddies.
    If they'd stop taking funds from 1 project to divert it to another and stop wasteful spending, then maybe things wouldn't be so bad. As it is now, they spend without care and when they get short, they say oh well, we'll just raise the millage on property tax, .15 more cents on gas or this or that.
    And I love hearing their "I inherited" this budget shortfall from the last C. Comm.,, BUT they Never try and fix or solve the problem while in, but to pass the burden off on the tax payer.

And I'm voting Against the penny tax.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    from what I've been told, the roads are on a rotational resurface depending the amount of traffic. A road like Woodbine, with the amount of traffic may get resurfaced/reworked once every 5 years (I have no idea of the actual time periods...). compared to a county maintained road in a subdivision, may be scheduled for every 25 years. its budgeted funds for projects, they get resurfaced regardless if you think it needs it or not.... Thats how it was explained to me anyways...

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The rebuilding of a road from 2 to 4 lanes is more complicated is what I have read and I do not understand it. It is much more expensive than resurfacing and in the case of woodbine little more has been done then to note it needs to be done. Fact is at 5 points there are quintet, berryhill, and chumuckla that tie into it. The populations on all of these roads is also going up. Quintet has one of the three bridges over the escambia river in FL and is an evacuation route out of Santa Rosa County. It is currently just two lane and also connects to US hwy 29. The increasing population and resulting traffic will likely need another expensive bridge and 4 laning of it as well. It is a lot of building that has not been well planned and the required infrastructure financing of it will cost.
    When ever one builds a lot of houses, planning is needed beyond just selling the houses and getting the building permits from conspirators on the BOCC.

Last edited:

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    $$$$ has to come from somewhere.... I am continually surprised by the LARGE amounts of what things cost...

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    $$$$ has to come from somewhere.... I am continually surprised by the LARGE amounts of what things cost...
    Just the financing of building a subdivision is a lot of money. After the housing bubble burst building slowed down here and probably in a lot of other places and the SRC BOCC die away with impact fees to help out the housing industry that is a major source of income in this area.
    The builders seemed to have secured the loans or what ever financial backing is needed and have been building and plan to build a lot more. They must sell the houses and pay back the loans and everyone is happy.
    Highways are important and if possible the builders want someone else to pay for it. There is a group in Escambia Country FL that has purchased a lot of land around the pensacola rifle and pistol club. They are called the exit three group because they wanted some work done on I-10 and also going north from there into molino. They want the PRPC gone. They currently plan to build subdivsions that will circle around it. The Escambia BOCC was backing them and why? The BOCC also has people that are Realtors. The exit 3 group has not yet built any houses and my guess is they do not have the money.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "The rebuilding of a road from 2 to 4 lanes is more complicated is what I have read and I do not understand it."
    Frommer, lots of things come into play when you add lanes. Underground utilities have to be moved over, right of way is always a problem as people and businesses have built up next to the road and the new road may have to be built to a higher standard than the old road due to code changes. Intersections have to be changed so adding lanes is not as easy as it seems.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    from what I've been told, the roads are on a rotational resurface depending the amount of traffic. A road like Woodbine, with the amount of traffic may get resurfaced/reworked once every 5 years (I have no idea of the actual time periods...). compared to a county maintained road in a subdivision, may be scheduled for every 25 years. its budgeted funds for projects, they get resurfaced regardless if you think it needs it or not.... Thats how it was explained to me anyways...

I'm not so sure that holds true in SRC. It really depends on the suck buddies, as Willard Norris Hwy has not been resurfaced that I know of since the mid 70's. When they were resurfacing woodbine this last time, there was not even any tire ruts (sagging/dipping) on either lane. The Pace CC just had extra funds in his district and needed to be cleared off his books, that's it.
    And IF they do 4-lane woodbine, they'd need to 4-lane it from hwy 90 north up to quintet and continue north on chumuckla hwy to around willard norris rd. Also 4-lane Pace Chumuckla rd from woodbine back east to hwy 90. Then 4-lane quintet west up past the 102.7 radio station.
    But if they hadn't allowed publix to build near the intersection area and the strip mall, the traffic wouldn't be as bad as it currently is.

lees way2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I think the current 1/2 cent tax will go away in Dec if this one passes so it will be only a 1/2 cent that we will be paying over what we are now. We are going to pay and I would rather others help out than it showing up on my property tax at the end of the year, trust me we are going to pay one way or the other.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Woodbine should have been done 5 years ago.....as in completed. Started 7 or 8 years ago. That traffic in the mornings and the evenings is insane. I wouldn't live out there. No sir.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think the current 1/2 cent tax will go away in Dec if this one passes so it will be only a 1/2 cent that we will be paying over what we are now. We are going to pay and I would rather others help out than it showing up on my property tax at the end of the year, trust me we are going to pay one way or the other.

If they could put it all on the property tax they would. The sales tax is the easier way for the BOCC to get the money. If the sales tax proposal fails there will be a big infrastructure mess and likely they will get put out of office in the upcoming election. If you have a homestead exemption in FL, there is a 3% cap on property tax increases.

Last edited:

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Looks like the facts have come out. The PAC funding all those signs and billboards advocating for the additional "penny" sales tax are mostly aligned some way with the construction industry. According to a PNJ article the PAC has raised $78,900 as of Aug 30 "almost entirely by individuals and entities who have economic interests in the home building, engineering and development industry".

Good ole boy politics hard at work here. Line the pockets of select persons/groups at the expense of the general public.

Yeah right. Tax goes for parks, sheriff, fire drainage improvements, bike paths. Never have I seen a defined allocation where all of the extra money will go. I believe that nearly all the dollars will go towards building/improving roads and infrastructure so that the building industry can expand and make more profits. No way will I ever consider any additional sales tax increase until imact fees are institutes.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

That"s what they want you to believe. They'll keep that extra 1/2 cent until it expires and most likely will quietly extend it. Just like the 1st time when gas prices fell extremely low, bocc added a tax to the gas then, saying it was needed and since the gas was so low it wouldn't be too much of a tax burden on citizens. Then not too long after, they hit/taxed it again somewhere around 12.5 total.
    After the gas went back up, did they remove that tax, hell no, left it there and now wanting more.
    Another one was not long ago they took monies from the north (milton area) and funneled those monies to the south end for some huge multi million dollar bs construction idea. Most milton residents won't be down there to benefit from it, but milton area paid for it. Totally bs.
    They just need to restructure their expenditures, express to departments to stay within their budgets, stop over spending and wasting, they'd see they can operate on the current budget and still get projects done.

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Does any one know the Hoffman fellow in Pace that is openly opposed to the penny sales tax increase? He was quoted in the PNJ article. I would like to talk with him since I am opposed to the tax also. If any one know him will you please PM me his contact info. Or, if you are concerned with doing that PM me and I will provide you with my contact info that you can give to him.

Somehow we need to get organized to oppose this increase or the voting public will only see the signs and billboards and vote the tax in. If that happens we will never see impact fees put on the developers that are causing most of our current problems.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Does any one know the Hoffman fellow in Pace that is openly opposed to the penny sales tax increase? He was quoted in the PNJ article. I would like to talk with him since I am opposed to the tax also. If any one know him will you please PM me his contact info. Or, if you are concerned with doing that PM me and I will provide you with my contact info that you can give to him.

Somehow we need to get organized to oppose this increase or the voting public will only see the signs and billboards and vote the tax in. If that happens we will never see impact fees put on the developers that are causing most of our current problems.

He is on this site FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/srcvoters/ This is an organization to oppose the tax and BOCC
    He also posts on next door for pace and if you join that you can pm him also. https://nextdoor.com/news_feed/ It was on next door that I found out about all of this. Nxdoor really does not want too much political stuff and so they started a FB page for it.

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    He is on this site FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/srcvoters/ This is an organization to oppose the tax and BOCC
    He also posts on next door for pace and if you join that you can pm him also. https://nextdoor.com/news_feed/ It was on next door that I found out about all of this. Nxdoor really does not want too much political stuff and so they started a FB page for it.

Thanks for the info. I went to their Facebook page and asked to join their group.

Looks like all that money from the developers is being spent "informing" (mis-leading)) the the voters of the need for the tax increase. Saw a commercial on WEAR this AM with the sheriff saying he endorses the tax increase.

Top Bottom