• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gamegetter

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    On the east side of Yellowstone National Park lies Cody, Wy. A friend knows how much I like museums and guns (not necessarily in that order) and he told me about the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody which is a complex of five museums. It costs a whopping $19.00 per person and it covers all five museums. If you haven't been there you should go at least once in your lifetime. In the complex is the Cody Firearms Museum which has on the order of about 7,000 rare and modern firearms on display, all of which are in excellent condition. They have flintlocks from the French and Indian War, The Revolutionary War, Spanish American War, War of 1812, the Civil War and firearms from every major war thereafter up through modern warfare. Yes, they have Gatling guns, machine guns and submachine guns. What they don't have on open display they have in slide out drawers for revolvers and slide out rifle displays, I was there the last week of August and let me tell you it was nothing short of jaw dropping the firearms they had there. if you love rare firearms and modern weaponry like we all do, you owe it to yourself to see that place. A fellow that I met there during lunch told me that he had been to the Remington Arms Museum (disclosure: I have not) and he said it did not hold a candle to the Cody Firearms Museum. If you have a rare firearm that you don't know where it was made that is the top place in the country to research firearms I am told.

To make it even sweeter, they have an excellent Plains Indian Museum, the Draper Museum of Natural History with assorted big game animals of the west, the Whitney Western Art Museum, and the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum-all top notch and it is a Smithsonian Institute affiliate. If you haven't been there, go there. You will thank me later. Do that the first day of your trip, you can then hit Yellowstone the next few days. I throw this out to our forum because I never knew this place existed and then when I found out about it, I had to go see it and I am so glad that I did!

Last edited:

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Ever been to the firearms museum at the NRA Headquarters in VA (outside of D.C. in Vienna)? I thought that it was amazing. I'm wondering how they would compare?

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I visited the Cody museum in 2018.
    Its everything you say!

Also on display of interest to me was Annie Oakley’s weapons and costume she wore during her shooting displays.
    She was much taller than I imagined since it struck me that a Indian Chief (crazy horse??? No that ain’t it....) named her Little Sure Shot.
    Also, the Army Colts of the TV cowboy’s were on display.
    My favorite was Paladins of “Have Gun,Will Travel”.

Gamegetter

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Cody Firearms Museum

Ever been to the firearms museum at the NRA Headquarters in VA (outside of D.C. in Vienna)? I thought that it was amazing. I'm wondering how they would compare?

No, I've never been to the NRA firearms museum so I couldn't say how they compare. If it is anything like the one in Cody, I'd like to see it one day. The Cody firearms museum also has a research area in the basement along with drawers and drawers of all makes of handguns and rifles in pullouts. Down there also were 1800's air rifles-real cool! If anyone goes to the one in Cody, don't overlook the basement area.

Gamegetter

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes, I particularly liked the Annie Oakley display. I noticed in the Plains Indian Museum they had Sitting Bull's tomahawk which I thought was awesome among all the rest of the artifacts they had there. I really enjoyed the whole complex, but my favorite was the firearms museum.

Top Bottom