• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Is there a way to find out where a car is, based on the VIN?
    I would love to find the ‘67 Mustang I drove in college for possible purchase if available.
    I found some on-line sites that claim to be free VIN lookups but when I put the number in, it just says “information not available “.
    I don’t know if that means the car is no longer on this earth or if the site just isn’t that great.
    Anybody know of a source?

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    DO NOT DO THOSE ONLINE VIN LOOK UP SITES.... repeat... DO NOT DO THOSE ONLINE VIN LOOK UP SITES (nothing is free)

they are total BS. I tried that with the 78 vette I got this past spring. complete shit show... took money to tell me they could not find my VIN.... Got it back, but had to jump through my own a$$ to do it...

The DMV is the only place, but thats hard because of privacy issues. The DMV told me my Car left the state in 1996 with 100 miles on it. No additional information (and that was verbal) would they tell me.... You can fill out paperwork, but I gave up for a while...

DO NOT DO THOSE ONLINE VIN LOOK UP SITES.... repeat... DO NOT DO THOSE ONLINE VIN LOOK UP SITES (nothing is free)

Last edited:

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    glad this topic came up, I think I'll restart the research.... car fax is only if the car is in that system though? right?

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    i think carfax may be for newer cars, my VIN has 13 digits carfax wants 17 digits can't find my plates either... Interesting how you got the names of the other owners. the DMV was really, really stuck on the privacy thing. I told them I didn't care about names, I just wanted dates, mileage and car information. nothing personal... they weren't gonna tell me crap....

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I checked the Florida VIN lookup - nothing. Must be either scrapped or out of state.
    I traded it into Kendrick/Myers Oldsmobile in Panama City in June 1979.

StorMay05

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The standard style VIN used today wasn’t used back then. Like mentioned above a VIN for a 67 mustang will come up short for modern VIN searches. Your best bet is to post on pages all over the web with all the info you have and see if anyone has any extra information.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Your best bet is to post on pages all over the web with all the info you have and see if anyone has any extra information.
    This can work I was able to find my father Bill Smith who I had only met once in 1975 by posting what little I knew about him all over the web
    Took a couple of years but I found him in 2009

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    my brothers girl found her old truck via carfax. They did a VIN search and found the truck being serviced at a faciltiy in Illinois. They contacted the service center and asked to pass along her info to the owner. Owner contacted her and just so happened they were looking to sell. She flew up north and drove the truck home. Pretty neat story. Her dad had given her the truck as her 1st vehicle. She sold it and a few short years later he had passed. Well, she wanted the truck back as it was sentimental to her. Pretty neat.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The standard style VIN used today wasn’t used back then. Like mentioned above a VIN for a 67 mustang will come up short for modern VIN searches. Your best bet is to post on pages all over the web with all the info you have and see if anyone has any extra information.

There are a couple great Mustang groups that are happy to help with stuff like that :)

And if ya know any cops...they have the ability to do searches normal folks can't...

One other thing tho...memory is sometimes better than the reality.
    Those 60's cars are pretty rough in comparison to modern versions...
    The comfort available then doesn't hold a candle to a new Mustang now...
    not to mention the speed, power and handling now are MUCH better.
    I've had to wrestle with the demon of my first car...
    guy over on 9 & 1/2 mile road is letting it rust away...
    and wants stupid money for it in horrible condition...
    after that it would require Rotisserie Restoration...
    might as well buy a new one & enjoy all the benefits AND a warranty!!

Top Bottom