• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RevFisch

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been researching rifles and I still don’t see much difference between the .308 and 6.5 creedmoor. I would be using the rifle for deer hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The deer will never know the difference. Either one is more than adequate for the job.

bowfreak

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    I do think 308 would have more of a choice for ammunition and therefore far more of a versatile rifle

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    OH GOLLY !!
    This oughtta be a good one.
    Let the tongue fight begin between the ol' farts and the 6.5 fanboys (cool doodes). --- SAWMAN

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    either have enough ammo choices to kill deer
    I am a 6.5 fanboy...just not Creedmoor

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I assume that for longer ranges the 6.5 C has a flatter trajectory and retains velocity better. So for specialized long range shooting in the AR10 it seems to be a good solution
    I would only be interested in it for a rifle like the AR10. For a bolt gun I would look at other 6.5 cartridges.
    For a fighting rifle I would go 7.62x51 nato over the 6.5 C. Fighting rifles need to have good performance when shooting into materials like auto sheet metal and house walls. One can more readily find 30 cal ap projectiles for handloading than is the case with 6.5 caliber. By the way I am not loading up 308 AP ammo, but just saying what is possible. Also around my area I tend to favor buckshot because of the lesser range and lower penetration at any distance compared to rifles.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have been researching rifles and I still don’t see much difference between the .308 and 6.5 creedmoor. I would be using the rifle for deer hunting.

Since the 6.5 CM is the "new and improved" kid on the block brought to you by "Madison Ave. type hype" it isn't on this list but you can use either the 260 Rem. or the 6.5 X 57 and compare either against the 308 and the ammo you would probably buy. Also, be honest in the range you will be shooting at.
    http://http://gundata.org/ballistic-calculator/
    The CM will offer slightly less recoil, but in the moment you take your shot recoil won't even be a thought

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Generally/often, 6.5CM will come with longer bbls (to get the most velocity for longer distances) than the .308, so the overall length of your rifle and weight might be a factor for you.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Since the 6.5 CM is the "new and improved" kid on the block brought to you by "Madison Ave. type hype" it isn't on this list but you can use either the 260 Rem. or the 6.5 X 57 and compare either against the 308 and the ammo you would probably buy. Also, be honest in the range you will be shooting at.
    http://http://gundata.org/ballistic-calculator/
    The CM will offer slightly less recoil, but in the moment you take your shot recoil won't even be a thought
    I would go for the 6.5x55 swede since there is more of it around and do not know the 6.5x57 that sounds like a necked down 8x57.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I would go for the 6.5x55 swede since there is more of it around and do not know the 6.5x57 that sounds like a necked down 8x57.

the OP said he was researching rifles, which probably means he will by buying ammunition for his choice of rifles.
    While the 260 will produce more FPS and the 6.5CM will produce a little less I listed both as a comparison for the 6.5 CM against the 308.
    And while the CM's rifle may come with 2 more inch's of Bbl. length, the hunting distances in this area a hundred FPS won't matter to the deer. And the difference between both might only matter if the OP plans to "hunt" over fields, then what the military refers to as Max. Effect range which = ME or his ability it hit a deer at 200 yds + and far less about the round he is using

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I love this kind of stuff, it’s all most as entertaining as a religious discussion . In the end you can pick any of the calibers mentioned and have a perfectly adequate deer rifle.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    you or the deer will never know the difference, probably more common and cheaper ammo in the 308 , proven for a long time and more than adequate..good luck

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Allow me to put all this in prospective.
    Was a deer ever killed or a 1000yd target ever hit BEFORE the 6.5Creedmoor came along ??
    What is the difference in the trajectory,between a 24" 6.5C and a well loaded 26" 308Win ??
    What is the difference in recoil between a 140gr 6.5 and a 140gr 308 ??
    How many high B.C.,ELD type bullets are available in .264" vs .308" ??
    What is the REAL difference between the 6.5Creedmoor and the 260Rem ??
    For the reloader,is there any difference in the price or availability in powder,bullets,or brass ??
    For the non reloader,what are the differences in factory ammo as far as availability,price,etc. ??
    What complete bolt guns are available to the buyer ?? How about AR's and/or complete uppers ?? --- SAWMAN

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The difference between 308 and 6.5CM, is... well

The dead deer was either shot with 308 or 6.5CM.

both will kill them just fine, with proper bullet selection and you doing your part.

This question reminds of that scene from My Cousin Vinnie... let me see if I can find it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

AND, WHERE IS the OP, he started this "kicking a sleeping dog"

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I think he is probably in church right now, since he is a preacher. He also might not have realized there were such strong feelings about selecting a chambering. Now he has to pick a side - might take him a few days, and some deep soul searching...

RevFisch

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was at church haha. And I am just reading and gathering information. Y’all are making great points, a lot of things to think about.

And no, I didn’t know that there was so much love/hate for certain chambering of rifles.

I was just wanting to know the difference in performance etc. I like the Ruger precision rifle and I know it comes in both, so was wanting to do research in case I saw a good deal on one vs the other.

Top Bottom