• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How many guns are we talking about here ?? In the least . . in the hundreds.
    These guns would have to be taken out of service on a rotational bases. A few at a time.
    These guns are sniper rifles so nothing could be done in the field or even at some rearward base. These weapons (the Navy and USMC guns) would have to be sent back to Crane,Indiana.
    The scopes,bases,and rings would have to be removed. The bbl and gas system would have to be removed. Then the 6.5 bbl would have to be fitted,gas system added and headspaced. If called for,a new muzzle device would have to be added.This work would most likely be done by the civilians working for the military at Crane.
    The weapons would most likely have to be tested for reliability and accuracy. Load testing would have to be done. This alone could take awhile. Snipers do not grab a handful of ammo out of some green ammo can.
    Depending on bullet chosen for the 6.5,mags could have to be modified or newly produced,depending on how the internal ribs were located to support the 6.5 bullet chosen.
    Then . . . the return to the fleet. The end users would need training. They would have to shoot their weapons in order to compile their crib notes of drops and wind drifts.
    So . . . depending on the distances of my targets ( all these 1000yd shots that people love to talk about are few and far between),if it were my choice,and I have gotten used to my 7.62,I just might stick with it.
    You will never hear . . the military will never release the info . . for obvious reasons . . but take a guess how far the AVERAGE of the last 1000 sniper shots were. Think about it. ---- SAWMAN

Probably in line with your response is why the military has been reluctant to change our the 5.56 for something even though they have talked about and even tested out such rifles.
    I will not be getting a 6.5 creedmoor. I do have a 6.5 grendel for the ar15. It did and will cost me more for sure.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I also forgot to add . . . depending on what the military thought they needed,monies alloted,and who knows who,they just might want to use a different scope and different and/or upgradesd rangefinders,and ballistic computers.
    That . . . obviously,would be an added expense and training before deployment.
    Remember,training is translated into a monetary figure by the civilian bean counters.
    Tooling up to reload the final round would also be an added expense over the bullets,powders,primers (?),and brass. Even the different storage containers,as far as size and markings would be an added expense.
    Most likely lots more stuff that slips my mind. --- SAWMAN

B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    You know the federal budget is huge. To refit ARs to 6.5 Grendel and issue AR 10s to replace 308 M14 s and convert 240s to 6.5 Creedmoor is nothing. 6.5 is superior to 308. Even if it’s only measured at the margin

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I really cannot see the military switching from 7.62 to 6.5G for snipers.
    Would still require too much equipment,manpower,time,and most of all . . . MONEY !!
    What would the change get you (the sniper) ?? How far are the military shots taken at ?? What is the 75% of shots,distance ?? How about 90% ?? The scopes DO have target turrets . . . right ??
    As mentioned somewhere here before . . . what would happen if the 7.62 bullet were dropped down to a 135gr,ELD type ?? Would it be better ballistically at <600yds ?? <800yds ??
    THEN . . . . . . there is the 50BMG. It's already here. If I were a dedicated long range (600+yds) sniper,I would gladly carry the Barrett around. --- SAWMAN

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...h-their-bullets-for-this-new-round-next-year/ Stats don’t lie. The hit probability increases with a .620 BC over a .496 BC at all distances when environmentals are a factor

RevFisch

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks to everyone that gave their input. I ended up getting a Ruger precision .308 today. Was on a 50% off deal and couldn’t pass up my dream gun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Thanks to everyone that gave their input. I ended up getting a Ruger precision .308 today. Was on a 50% off deal and couldn’t pass up my dream gun!

You dun messed that up.

You should have gotten one of each for that price.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I like the RPR (308) also . . except for that darn short bbl. If it were a 24" with 8.5 or 9 twist,I would have one. ---- SAWMAN

B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well I didn’t need two and they only had .308.....

We don't like people using 4 letter words with guns. Don't Need a gun or that gun. Do you kiss your mother with mouth?

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

I think you made a good choice.

RevFisch

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Now I need to find a good scope mount that fits. I bought and high and extra big weaver, but both were too short. Need some help. Have a bushnell prime 6-18x50 scope.

Top Bottom