• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bowfreak

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    I was at church haha. And I am just reading and gathering information. Y’all are making great points, a lot of things to think about.

And no, I didn’t know that there was so much love/hate for certain chambering of rifles.

I was just wanting to know the difference in performance etc. I like the Ruger precision rifle and I know it comes in both, so was wanting to do research in case I saw a good deal on one vs the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Another thing to consider is barrel life.The ONLY reason we went with 308 when building my wifes long range rifle was barrel life. it's around 2000 rounds for a 6.5 and 10,000 for a 308

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Another thing to consider is barrel life.The ONLY reason we went with 308 when building my wifes long range rifle was barrel life. it's around 2000 rounds for a 6.5 and 10,000 for a 308

I won't argue that the 6.5 will wear out a barrel quicker than a 308 but I'd point out that most people don't shoot near enough for that to matter and that a long range precision barrel being "worn out" will probably still provide usable accuracy for most people's needs, especially at shorter distances.

Unless you have a specific need and/or shoot "a lot", either will be fine. The advantages of the 6.5 are diminished the shorter the distance you're shooting.

Tried and is fine but don't let the old guys tell you that everything new is a waste.

bowfreak

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    I won't argue that the 6.5 will wear out a barrel quicker than a 308 but I'd point out that most people don't shoot near enough for that to matter and that a long range precision barrel being "worn out" will probably still provide usable accuracy for most people's needs, especially at shorter distances.

Unless you have a specific need and/or shoot "a lot", either will be fine. The advantages of the 6.5 are diminished the shorter the distance you're shooting.

Tried and is fine but don't let the old guys tell you that everything new is a waste.
    Very true... 2000 rounds is A LOT for a deer rifle lol. I don't think most people will ever shoot that much out of their deer guns

RevFisch

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Very true... 2000 rounds is A LOT for a deer rifle lol. I don't think most people will ever shoot that much out of their deer guns

Agreed, I have a 30-06 deer rifle I bought in college and I haven’t put many through it. It has killed a decent number of deer/hogs but it isn’t even at 100!

bowfreak

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Agreed, I have a 30-06 deer rifle I bought in college and I haven’t put many through it. It has killed a decent number of deer/hogs but it isn’t even at 100!

Are you a reloader?

RevFisch

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Are you a reloader?

No, for my purposes it is not needed. I just find ammo as needed and when on good sales. So reloading does not come into play in my decision.

However, I am hearing that if we hit an amok shortage like we did in 2012/2013 then it would be better to have .308......possibly.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    No, for my purposes it is not needed. I just find ammo as needed and when on good sales. So reloading does not come into play in my decision.

However, I am hearing that if we hit an amok shortage like we did in 2012/2013 then it would be better to have .308......possibly.

More popular rounds are more likely to go out first. .40S&W was available well after 9 and 45 went away.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

A quality 6.5 C AR barrel that is chromed or nitrided will last much longer than 2,000 rounds relative to retaining accuracy. IMHO this cartridge is intended for the AR10. For a bolt gun get a 6.5 cartridge that was intended for bolt guns.
    Barrels chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor tend to require replacement a bit more frequently. It’s not unusual to see a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel replaced in the neighborhood of 2,000 – 3,000 rounds with an untreated barrel. As with the M118LR chambered .308 AR barrels, chrome lined or nitrided models will last considerably longer. https://criterionbarrels.com/media/what-sort-of-barrel-life-can-i-expect-from-a-criterion-barrel/

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    A quality 6.5 C AR barrel that is chromed or nitrided will last much longer than 2,000 rounds relative to retaining accuracy. IMHO this cartridge is intended for the AR10. For a bolt gun get a 6.5 cartridge that was intended for bolt guns.

Semi auto/AR10 in the below articles about development aren't at the top of the list for considerations for development of the round. My comment is that much more valid as barrel life increases for the 6.5.

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2018/11/8/history-lesson-65-creedmoor-cartridge-origin/

https://www.outdoorlife.com/evolution-65-creedmoor/

https://blog.hornady.com/the-6-5-cr...s-senior-ballistician-dave-emary-19d67388f2fc

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Semi auto/AR10 in the below articles about development aren't at the top of the list for considerations for development of the round. My comment is that much more valid as barrel life increases for the 6.5.

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2018/11/8/history-lesson-65-creedmoor-cartridge-origin/

https://www.outdoorlife.com/evolution-65-creedmoor/

https://blog.hornady.com/the-6-5-cr...s-senior-ballistician-dave-emary-19d67388f2fc
    Fact is that this 6.5 being based on the 7.62x51 will work well in the mag of the standard AR10 rifles. In the articles they refer to magazine length and NRA highpower Matches. Some of these matches are done with bolt guns, but many are also done with AR type rifles so the articles are not really clear on the rifle type. If you want a full power 6.5 round in the AR10 you are going to have to use the 6.5 C. If you have bolt gun you can use what you want. They claim in the articles that the 6.5 C has less recoil. I am not sure why that is so if we are comparing it to cartridges of similar velocity and bullet wt.
    Photo below 260 R, 6.5 g (edit to 6.5 C), and 6.5x55
    260 Remington vs 6.5 Creedmoor vs 6.5×55 Swede
    The case of the 6.5 G is shortest that means that longer bullets can be more readily used in an AR10 mag. I think you could still use the 260 R in an AR10 if you wanted, but it is not that commonly done.
    The fact that the 6.5 G (edit it should be C for Creedmore) wears out barrels suggests that pressure are very high.
    The OP was about hunting and not handloading or long range target shooting and so the .308 seems to be the most logical choice.
    picture-of-260-Remington-vs-6.5-Creedmoor-vs-6.5x55-bullets.jpg

Attachments

• picture-of-260-Remington-vs-6.5-Creedmoor-vs-6.5x55-bullets.jpg
      picture-of-260-Remington-vs-6.5-Creedmoor-vs-6.5x55-bullets.jpg
      69.2 KB · Views: 282
    Last edited:

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Fact is that this 6.5 being based on the 7.62x51 will work well in the mag of the standard AR10 rifles. In the articles they refer to magazine length and NRA highpower Matches. Some of these matches are done with bolt guns, but many are also done with AR type rifles so the articles are not really clear on the rifle type. If you want a full power 6.5 round in the AR10 you are going to have to use the 6.5 C. If you have bolt gun you can use what you want. They claim in the articles that the 6.5 C has less recoil. I am not sure why that is so if we are comparing it to cartridges of similar velocity and bullet wt.
    Photo below 260 R, 6.5 g, and 6.5x55
    The case of the 6.5 G is shortest that means that longer bullets can be more readily used in an AR10 mag. I think you could still use the 260 R in an AR10 if you wanted, but it is not that commonly done.
    The fact that the 6.5 G wears out barrels suggests that pressure are very high.
    The OP was about hunting and not handloading or long range target shooting and so the .308 seems to be the most logical choice.
    View attachment 76366

Are there 6.5 rounds that aren't "full power" in the AR10? You mention the 6.5g but that's a small frame round. Are guys running that in AR10s? Are the Swede and PRC "extra power" rounds?

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Are there 6.5 rounds that aren't "full power" in the AR10? You mention the 6.5g but that's a small frame round. Are guys running that in AR10s? Are the Swede and PRC "extra power" rounds?
    I meant to write 6.5C and not G.
    I did more reading and the military really likes the 6.5C because their semiauto sniping rifles in 7.62x51 only require a barrel change to go to 6.5 C or creedmoor.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I really cannot see the military switching from 7.62 to 6.5G for snipers.
    Would still require too much equipment,manpower,time,and most of all . . . MONEY !!
    What would the change get you (the sniper) ?? How far are the military shots taken at ?? What is the 75% of shots,distance ?? How about 90% ?? The scopes DO have target turrets . . . right ??
    As mentioned somewhere here before . . . what would happen if the 7.62 bullet were dropped down to a 135gr,ELD type ?? Would it be better ballistically at <600yds ?? <800yds ??
    THEN . . . . . . there is the 50BMG. It's already here. If I were a dedicated long range (600+yds) sniper,I would gladly carry the Barrett around. --- SAWMAN

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I was at church haha. And I am just reading and gathering information. Y’all are making great points, a lot of things to think about.

And no, I didn’t know that there was so much love/hate for certain chambering of rifles.

I was just wanting to know the difference in performance etc. I like the Ruger precision rifle and I know it comes in both, so was wanting to do research in case I saw a good deal on one vs the other.

A Ruger PRS as a first time deer rifle, well, to each his own

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I really cannot see the military switching from 7.62 to 6.5G for snipers.
    Would still require too much equipment,manpower,time,and most of all . . . MONEY !!
    What would the change get you (the sniper) ?? How far are the military shots taken at ?? What is the 75% of shots,distance ?? How about 90% ?? The scopes DO have target turrets . . . right ??
    As mentioned somewhere here before . . . what would happen if the 7.62 bullet were dropped down to a 135gr,ELD type ?? Would it be better ballistically at <600yds ?? <800yds ??
    THEN . . . . . . there is the 50BMG. It's already here. If I were a dedicated long range (600+yds) sniper,I would gladly carry the Barrett around. --- SAWMAN
    Just what are the costs involved? It is the barrel that is changed for an AR type rifle and different dope for distances and wind drift. Also there is the cost of the ammo that might be more than for continuing to use the 7.62x51.
    Barrel life might be different also.
    But as you ask what is the gain vs what is the pain or cost of dong the change out.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    What would the change get you (the sniper) ??

I think the BC of a 6.5 130gr is a shade over 500 where the like in .308 would be in the .300 range. The lower trajectory would also be a good thing in my view. They most likely would not drop the use of the 7.62 bullet since they use it in .300 Win Mag...then they have the other intermediate caliber to the 50..the .338LM. I think that is what C. Kyle set his records with.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I haven’t shot at a game animal at more than 300 yards in the last 30 years. I don’t doubt the 6.5 c has better trajectory, but I can’t justify changing calibers for the slight increase.

96EEC9DE-82F2-4670-BF49-7A18AAAD7D99.jpg

Attachments

• 96EEC9DE-82F2-4670-BF49-7A18AAAD7D99.jpg
      96EEC9DE-82F2-4670-BF49-7A18AAAD7D99.jpg
      175.7 KB · Views: 165

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    How much do you think that it would cost for a "simple" bbl change out ?? What all is involved ?? You tell me.
    I already know.
    I will respectfully comment after your cost assessment. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How much do you think that it would cost for a "simple" bbl change out ?? What all is involved ?? You tell me.
    I already know.
    I will respectfully comment after your cost assessment. --- SAWMAN
    The question is not what it would cost you or me, but what it would cost the military and I really do not know so I can not tell you. Such things are bid out after the specifications have been put out in the proposal and those determine the costs.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    How many guns are we talking about here ?? In the least . . in the hundreds.
    These guns would have to be taken out of service on a rotational bases. A few at a time.
    These guns are sniper rifles so nothing could be done in the field or even at some rearward base. These weapons (the Navy and USMC guns) would have to be sent back to Crane,Indiana.
    The scopes,bases,and rings would have to be removed. The bbl and gas system would have to be removed. Then the 6.5 bbl would have to be fitted,gas system added and headspaced. If called for,a new muzzle device would have to be added.This work would most likely be done by the civilians working for the military at Crane.
    The weapons would most likely have to be tested for reliability and accuracy. Load testing would have to be done. This alone could take awhile. Snipers do not grab a handful of ammo out of some green ammo can.
    Depending on bullet chosen for the 6.5,mags could have to be modified or newly produced,depending on how the internal ribs were located to support the 6.5 bullet chosen.
    Then . . . the return to the fleet. The end users would need training. They would have to shoot their weapons in order to compile their crib notes of drops and wind drifts.
    So . . . depending on the distances of my targets ( all these 1000yd shots that people love to talk about are few and far between),if it were my choice,and I have gotten used to my 7.62,I just might stick with it.
    You will never hear . . the military will never release the info . . for obvious reasons . . but take a guess how far the AVERAGE of the last 1000 sniper shots were. Think about it. ---- SAWMAN

Top Bottom