Join GulfCoastGunForum For Free

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Striker Lube?

  1. #11
    50 CAL ChrisC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    1,039
    *post deleted*

    Last edited by ChrisC; 08-21-2019 at 11:07 AM.
    “Shooting is simple, simple does not mean easy” -TGO

  2. #12
    12 GA mtbbrewer74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Milton
    Posts
    965
    My question was about the Striker and Striker Channel. Thanks for all the responses. I was not trying to start an argument.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  3. 2 Like mtbbrewer74's Post:


  4. #13
    50 CAL CESwartz07's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    1,043
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    thats cute. the OP asked if I use lube in the striker channel. my answer was yes.

    since you have been a Glock armorer for over 4 years, let me ask you this. what is the main reason why Glock does not recommend lubing the firing pin channel? if you say gunk collection, that is the wrong answer.

    since we are preaching the Glock manual, what does Glock think of modifications like this?

    Fill your own with 30w for all I care, but it is bad information to tell others to do so. If you want the by the book version of why not, then I’ll look it up in my Armorer’s manual when I get home. Lube attracting debris I’m sure is part of if, but the main reason in my informed opinion is the lube slowing down the movement of the striker from hydro lock.

    I’m not preaching the manual in all respects, I mod the crap out of my personal guns. And when I do recommend modifications I have personal experience with, I don’t do it from an Armorer’s perspective.

    Hope that clears up any of your questions. I’m not trying to hurt feelings.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #14
    12 GA mtbbrewer74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Milton
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by CESwartz07 View Post


    I try hard to stay out of the Internet forum opinion based pissing matches, but it is a FACT that you do not lube the striker assembly/channel on a Glock. See picture for reference. I only interject because this is likely to cause a malfunction, and bad info can put good people at risk if they depend on that gun to save their life.

    I’ve been a certified Glock Armorer for over 4 years.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for that info.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  6. 2 Like mtbbrewer74's Post:


  7. #15
    50 CAL ChrisC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    1,039
    *Post deleted*
    Last edited by ChrisC; 08-21-2019 at 11:08 AM.
    “Shooting is simple, simple does not mean easy” -TGO

  8. #16
    50 CAL CESwartz07's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    1,043
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    no hurt feelings here brother. this is actually an informational discussion.

    the real reason why Glock does not recommend lubricating the firing pin channel or anywhere near it, is because the firing pin liner inside the channel is held in place by friction. If oil seeps underneath it, the liner can slide out. when this happens, the pistol is still operational but you will wonder why all of the sudden the trigger pull feels weird. its because the liner moves back and forth with the pull of the trigger. I have shot enough rounds to replace a number of worn out liners on Glocks. I mentioned using the right kind of lubrication earlier. I use a very thin film of Milcomm TW25B in that area. this also smoothens the trigger pull by a big margin. if you apply it in the right places, it will also lighten up the trigger pull. as with everything else, to each their own.
    So, not from the most current manual, but here is every mention of the firing pin channel I can find in an old gen3 manual (channel liners are universal parts across most every model and generation):

    “Caution: When cleaning the slide, the muzzle end should be pointed down so as to prevent debris and solvents from entering the firing pin channel.”

    “Caution: Do not put oil inside the firing pin channel or magazine tube. Firing pin channel, magazine tube, and breech face should be wiped dry before reassembly. Leaving solvent or lubricant in these areas could cause contamination of primers and failure to fire.”

    “The firing pin channel liner is located inside the firing pin channel and normally should remain in the channel. Should it separate during cleaning, simply insert with beveled edge toward breech.”

    “Wipe the firing pin spring with a clean dry cloth to remove any lubrication or solvent, including inadvertent lubrication…”

    Troubleshooting:
    “No primer strike…..obstructed channel…..clear”
    “Light, centered strike…obstructed firing pin channel…..remove, inspect and clean firing pin and firing pin spring. Clean firing pin channel.”
    Inconsistent trigger pull or will not release (nothing mentioned about firing pin, spring, spring cups, channel liner, or channel)


    That said,
    In my experience, the factory installed channel liners tend to not easily budge, and require special tools or a lag bolt to remove. Removal is usually only needed for guns being re-coated and going into an oven.

    Now if you completely strip your slide and clean with a dedicated heavy duty cleaner that strips away all oil and not a CLP product, I would wipe down the parts with a rag that had a little metal protectant/lubricant on it afterwards.

    So long story short, I’ve never heard of or encountered that type of malfunction, and not sure it could happen since the spacer sleeve wouldn’t allow the channel liner to move while the slide is assembled. But crazy crap can happen. Every mention in the manual refers to lubricant or debris causing the channel to become obstructed and light strikes due to slowing the firing pin.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. 3 Like CESwartz07's Post:


  10. #17
    50 CAL ChrisC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    1,039
    *Post deleted*
    Last edited by ChrisC; 08-21-2019 at 11:08 AM.
    “Shooting is simple, simple does not mean easy” -TGO

  11. #18
    50 CAL FrommerStop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    NWFL
    Posts
    1,717
    I have not lubed a glock striker assembly. But in other designs like some .22 semi auto rifles if you lube the exterior of the bolt, the firing pin does get lubed. I do not think this is a one size fits all.
    At low temperatures for bolt guns people often de-grease the bolt to prevent the grease from congealing and freezing up the firing pin.
    Striker assembly for glock. Are there coatings out there that lower friction and such might be the way to go?
    Last edited by FrommerStop; 08-28-2019 at 09:09 AM.

  12. #19
    50 CAL FrommerStop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    NWFL
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by CESwartz07 View Post
    Fill your own with 30w for all I care, but it is bad information to tell others to do so. If you want the by the book version of why not, then I’ll look it up in my Armorer’s manual when I get home. Lube attracting debris I’m sure is part of if, but the main reason in my informed opinion is the lube slowing down the movement of the striker from hydro lock.

    I’m not preaching the manual in all respects, I mod the crap out of my personal guns. And when I do recommend modifications I have personal experience with, I don’t do it from an Armorer’s perspective.

    Hope that clears up any of your questions. I’m not trying to hurt feelings.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is there any benefit to using the marine cups to prevent hydrolock?

    Name:  cupsglock.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  24.6 KB

  13. #20
    50 CAL CESwartz07's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    1,043

    Striker Lube?

    Quote Originally Posted by FrommerStop View Post
    Is there any benefit to using the marine cups to prevent hydrolock?

    Name:  cupsglock.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  24.6 KB
    Yes, that’s what they are designed for. Only reason Glock won’t sell direct to consumers is too many people putting holes in there pools during “testing” lol, aka potential liability. They also wear out faster. I believe they are factory in the 19x now, since it was designed for military and they want OTB capability. Ghost Inc sells the OEM ones and their own design. Some claim they can make trigger feel lighter, but I’ve also seen them make a trigger feel heavier in a gun with a worn channel liner. Also have to make sure when you install the that they sit level.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. Likes CESwartz07's Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •