• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I'm going to start my first AR9 build. It will probably take me a year or so to complete because I research my arse off first so I don't get an expensive paperweight. I know that it will use Glock mags, will probably be a 5.5" or 6" barrel and eventually suppressing it. But during my research, I see that there is a "Glock feed ramp" that I may need. I understand logically the need for it, but it requires that I mill the lower to install it. I am not fully retarded when it comes to working on metal (milling), but spending a couple of hondo's on a lower and then me milling it out to put this part in kind of makes me wonder, do I really need it. Anyone here have any idea if I need this or not? If I do, does it make it more reliable?

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That’s a new one on me, I’ve been using a PSA Glock lower for a couple years now and it seems to be as reliable as the colt factory carbine that I shoot.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    That’s a new one on me, I’ve been using a PSA Glock lower for a couple years now and it seems to be as reliable as the colt factory carbine that I shoot.

There were a couple of sites that referenced it. Everytime I read an article about bullets jamming, they would reference installing it. All it is a piece of metal that has a ramp...

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm gonna follow this to find out what the forum experts say on it. I too have been pondering on building one too. But what I have found in my past research is there is a mag insert that goes into a regular multi;cal ar lower, which holds and positions the glock mag (or whatever 9mm mag brand you;re going with) in the magwell. I saw once or twice about the mag not feeding right, but more problems with the gas tube mostly causing feeding problems. Then I found designated ar9 lowers which are blow-back designed and is supposed to work properly. It's this lower I will most likely go with to avoid the problems using a multi ar lower.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Paging Little Jacks...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I did a ton of research on a 9mm carbine as well, and in the end it just seemed like too many problems with the AR platform... I decided on something that's been working for 60 years. Mp5.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not to mention, the cool factor. Everyone has an ar , the same can’t be said about the mp5. :peace:

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I'm gonna follow this to find out what the forum experts say on it. I too have been pondering on building one too. But what I have found in my past research is there is a mag insert that goes into a regular multi;cal ar lower, which holds and positions the glock mag (or whatever 9mm mag brand you;re going with) in the magwell. I saw once or twice about the mag not feeding right, but more problems with the gas tube mostly causing feeding problems. Then I found designated ar9 lowers which are blow-back designed and is supposed to work properly. It's this lower I will most likely go with to avoid the problems using a multi ar lower.

That was the same conclusion that I came up with that is why I decided on a dedicated lower. Right now, I'm looking at a few lowers on the market. The usual suspects like Spike's, PSA, New Frontier, etc. I am looking at some more expensive ones too. I found a company called American Resistance Gear and they have a dedicated Glock 9mm Lower with LRBHO that I keep going back to. Anyone ever deal with American Resistance Gear? They seem like they are pretty good lowers with good customer service. I emailed them about the Glock Feed Ramp and Michael replied back "We don't use or need feed ramps for ours. Glock feed ramps are for the cheaper level lowers. Our lower is set up to run perfectly out of the box. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be glad to help. ". They emailed back within the day, so it was a pretty quick response time. He sent over his Email, Cell# and Office # so he ain't afraid to talk. Still hunting down a dedicated lower with LRBHO, but will most likely get the American Resistance Gear one, unless someone has some bad reviews with them.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Looking at FoxTrot Mike's lowers....it has LRBHO and about $30 cheaper then the American Resistance Gear lower....anyone have any experience with the Foxtrot Mike (FM9) lowers?

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have a Spike's Tactical dedicated 9mm Glock lower with LRBHO. I haven't shot it much, so still to early to know if there will be problems. The MP5 is a much safer but for reliability, but it cost more. Dan1612 made a suggestion to me in the past on the AR9 to only run Glock 17 round or Glock 33 round mags with extra power springs. That is good advice, and make sure they are Glock brand.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Okay, I found this adapted 9mm insert for $29.99. Converts a gen 2/3 magpul mag into a 9mm mag, works in any ar15 lower using either Glock or Colt mag 9mm builds. Certainly beats the $100 magwell insert for the Colt mags and extremely cheaper than the $160 magwell insert for Glock mags. Dang sure cheaper than buying a designated 9mm lower too and then be confined to either the Glock or Colt mags.

https://www.meanarms.com/products/detail/endomag-9mm

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Okay, I found this adapted 9mm insert for $29.99. Converts a gen 2/3 magpul mag into a 9mm mag, works in any ar15 lower using either Glock or Colt mag 9mm builds. Certainly beats the $100 magwell insert for the Colt mags and extremely cheaper than the $160 magwell insert for Glock mags. Dang sure cheaper than buying a designated 9mm lower too and then be confined to either the Glock or Colt mags.

https://www.meanarms.com/products/detail/endomag-9mm
    That's interesting

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I've heard good things about the endo mags. Even at $30 a piece they're cheaper than mp5(good ones anyway) and MPX mags.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Just found out that Primary Arms as FoxTrot Mike stripped AR9 lowers on sale for $135.79, not too bad. It has the LRBHO too.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    For the past few weeks, I got bits and pieces together and now I have a completed AR9. Took it out last weekend and was pretty happy with the results. Used Winchester White box and Tul ammo..mostly 115 grain. Everything went pretty smoothly. The lower held open on the last round, no FTF or FTE. It was pretty quiet and a soft shooter. At one point the RO asked if I had a suppressor on it, told him in a about year.

Went with the Foxtrot Mike lower, had a spare slick side upper, a Spinta BCG, Ballistic Advantage 5.5" barrel, 3" muzzle brake, and the rest was pretty much what I had laying around.

For my first PCC I couldn't be happier with the FoxTrot Mike lower. The only thing to note on the lower is that it came already assembled, the Mag Release and Bolt Catch are already installed and pinned in. Don't really mind that, so no big deal.

59097796891__A0285C83-BA1E-49BB-AE65-CDF344E329C4.JPG

Attachments

• 59097796891__A0285C83-BA1E-49BB-AE65-CDF344E329C4.JPG
      59097796891__A0285C83-BA1E-49BB-AE65-CDF344E329C4.JPG
      119.3 KB · Views: 199
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Looking at FoxTrot Mike's lowers....it has LRBHO and about $30 cheaper then the American Resistance Gear lower....anyone have any experience with the Foxtrot Mike (FM9) lowers?

For the past few weeks, I got bits and pieces together and now I have a completed AR9. Took it out last weekend and was pretty happy with the results. Used Winchester White box and Tul ammo..mostly 115 grain. Everything went pretty smoothly. The lower held open on the last round, no FTF or FTE. It was pretty quiet and a soft shooter. At one point the RO asked if I had a suppressor on it, told him in a about year.

Went with the Foxtrot Mike lower, had a spare slick side upper, a Spinta BCG, Ballistic Advantage 5.5" barrel, 3" muzzle brake, and the rest was pretty much what I had laying around.

For my first PCC I couldn't be happier with the FoxTrot Mike lower. The only thing to note on the lower is that it came already assembled, the Mag Release and Bolt Catch are already installed and pinned in. Don't really mind that, so no big deal.

View attachment 77263

I've had a FM9 lower for the last year'ish and have about 2K rounds though it with only issues being mag related. Other than a handful of failures to LRBH, I've been very happy with it.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    For along time I wanted an AR in 9mm. As soon as ruger released the pc9 I bought one! Glock magazine, +p ,takedown,threaded ect what's not to like? Now if they would build some caliber change kits!

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I've had a FM9 lower for the last year'ish and have about 2K rounds though it with only issues being mag related. Other than a handful of failures to LRBH, I've been very happy with it.

Did you ever figure out what the issue was with the LRBH? I didn't experience any out of the couple of hundred rounds that I ran. Also, I didn't have hollow points with me during that trip, I want to make sure that those run too. Got any experiences with running HP through your AR9?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Did you ever figure out what the issue was with the LRBH? I didn't experience any out of the couple of hundred rounds that I ran. Also, I didn't have hollow points with me during that trip, I want to make sure that those run too. Got any experiences with running HP through your AR9?

Not sure, I assume it was mag related (go figure right). But it was random and as far as I remember never the same mag. It was only 3 or 4 failures in i'm not sure how many mags I've ran through it. I never could replicate it running caps either, so IDK. But it's not FTE or FTF, so to me it's not a battle rifle so I'm good.

Top Bottom