Join GulfCoastGunForum For Free

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Clubs can make their own rules and you join or not given those rules.
    For me . . . I am really glad that my club has the rules that it has re. speed drawing from a holster or pocket. If this ever changed without a dedicated place (with berm) to do this,I would be gone. (Same with 50BMG and full auto)
    Now . . . I have been a member for 16 years,and will be for life. --- SAWMAN

"Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A (MK-23 / XM-207)
    XM177E2

2. 2 Like SAWMAN's Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FrommerStop View Post
    Sorry to hear of this and hope there is a full recovery.

Drawing and holstering a loaded firearm is a dangerous thing to do. Especially if you are in a hurry when you do it. No details have been given if this was a mechanical failure or a shooter failure.
    When training or competing it is better to go a little slower to do these operations with skill even if you lose a little time doing so.
    I was at one IDPA event there a few years ago and a fellow had a defective safety on a copy of a browning HiPower pistol. It discharged in his holster, but fortunately he was not shot. That certainly scared the dickens out of him.
    I believe it was shooter error during the unload/show clear. Not during the draw/reholster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Deadly Threat Defense LLC - Your source for affordable firearms training near Pensacola, FL

4. 2 Like CESwartz07's Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    For me . . . I am really glad that my club has the rules that it has re. speed drawing from a holster or pocket. If this ever changed without a dedicated place (with berm) to do this,I would be gone. (Same with 50BMG and full auto)
    Competition/concealed carry requires practicing a fast draw. Iíll agree that doing so from so from a position other than strong side or appendix can be dangerous. Speed reholstering shouldnít be a thing unless your transitioning to a longgun. Thankfully ERGC allows drawing from a holster. If they did not, I would not be a member. Itís one of the benefits of a private club range.

Deadly Threat Defense LLC - Your source for affordable firearms training near Pensacola, FL

6. 4 Like CESwartz07's Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    From the current PRPC rules on those issues:
    When moving between firing lines, firearms will not be carried in holsters.
    Exception: A weapon carried concealed on the person is exempt from this regulation. However, the weapon must remain holstered and concealed at all times, drawing to fire is not allowed.

Weapons: Fully automatic weapons are not allowed on the property. Fully automatic shooting is terms for immediate dismissal from the Club. Bumpfire, Slidefire, any similar device or style of firing are not allowed. Bumpfire, Slidefire, any similar device or style of firing are not allowed. Caliber 50BMG firearms with muzzle brakes are not allowed on the range property.
    The holster draw: I understand the reasoning for banning. But the fact is one can not adequately use a concealed pistol in a reactive manner without training in its deployment from the mode of concealment that it is normally carried.

Apparently this incident occurred while showing clear-unloaded, the gun discharged. This is done at the end of the stage prior to holstering if they are not running the range with everyone loaded or IIRC a 'hot range'.

8. Likes FrommerStop's Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CESwartz07 View Post
    Competition/concealed carry requires practicing a fast draw. Iíll agree that doing so from so from a position other than strong side or appendix can be dangerous. Speed reholstering shouldnít be a thing unless your transitioning to a longgun. Thankfully ERGC allows drawing from a holster. If they did not, I would not be a member. Itís one of the benefits of a private club range.

That is one reason I retain my membership there. I aso belong to the PRPC

Reholstering after a gun fight is potentially quite dangerous and is something that people need to think out. If the police are on the way, you do not want to be there with a gun your hand. You certainly do not want to drop it on the ground. The goblin that you just shot to the ground may have friends and the onlookers may not be friendly. One obviously needs to keep their eyes on their surroundings in the aftermath also. The way I have been trained is to go to position sul first and check the surroundings and if safe to do so holster it and do not forget to check yourself for bullet or other wounds. There is more to it, and this all needs to be practiced.

10. 3 Like FrommerStop's Post:

http://www.northescambia.com/2019/08...KrKj6hHKV2n454

12. 2 Like CESwartz07's Post:

Never saw a LE pistol qualification course that did not require draw/shoot nor holstering an unloaded handgun except after final stage. I and many others practice holster skills at home just like dry fire, all prep in order to maximize range time. There are alternatives to shot timers, put the Wife or kids to work. Lol
    Wild Rider

Those that give up their guns are on a self destructive fools errand. Tyranny shall never take what it didn't provide: not by paper, not by Court and not by force.

14. Likes wildrider666's Post:

12 GA
    Yup nothing to do with drawing. At the" Unload and show safe " command is always conducted with the pistol pointed down range..always always . At no time is your weapon ever allowed to sweep you person, or anyone else for that matter.

16. Likes barebones1's Post:

Quote Originally Posted by barebones1 View Post
    Yup nothing to do with drawing. At the" Unload and show safe " command is always conducted with the pistol pointed down range..always always . At no time is your weapon ever allowed to sweep you person, or anyone else for that matter.
    The 1911 like a lot of pistols has a safety that must be disengaged to pull back the slide if one wants to check the chamber. But still the pistol should not have been pointing at his leg during the process if this is when and what happened. So it sounds like a failure on the part of the shooter.
    Demo of the process.

18. Likes FrommerStop's Post:

I wonder if he racked the slide before dropping the mag and pulled the trigger on the way back to the holster. Thatís the only scenario I can possibly think of.
    Regardless, itís a reminder to not get complacent due to familiarity.
    I hope he has a smooth recovery.

20. Likes Dan1612's Post: