• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Metal Storm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Request suggestions for 6.8 spc upper or upper kit, Suppressor and magazines. I was researching 308ar and happened to read an article about the 6.8 and then I read some more.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    While you are at it you could also look at the 6.5 grendel that will also as an upper install on an AR15. For the grendel Alexander arms is the route I went and I can purchase wolf practice ammo for it at about 30 cents a round. Check the prices on ammo prior to purchase of any of the 'improved' calibers.
    The 6.8 is based on the old 30 remington case that was used in the model 8 semiauto and also in a remington pumpgun.
    Based upon the .30 Remington cartridge,[6] it is midway between the 5.56×45mm NATO and 7.62×39mm in bore diameter. It uses the same diameter bullet (usually not the same weight) as the .270 Winchester hunting cartridge.

Metal Storm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Tons to read and understand. I was hoping to see the rig you guys use and start from that point.

Gaterbaitii

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    FrankT,

You ever have any feeding problems w/ the 6.8? I've seen a lot of people have mag feeding problems and they said to get the barrett mags. Not sure if there were any other problems that may contribute?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Never heard of feeding problems with the 6.8 unless you try to use some fake or "other than" mag.
    I use ASC mags in 5 and 10 shot capacities. I even have some ASC brand 6.5Grendel mags (5&10 shot) that work fine in my guns.
    I have even used the MagPul 10 shot 223/5.56 mags. They will hold 5-8 rds of 6.8 before the mag body starts to expand.
    I own a 10.5" pistol,18" Bison Armory rifle,and a Ruger Mini-14,all chambered in 6.8. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Gaterbaitii

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Thx SAWMAN.

If you google: AR-15 6.8 feeding problems you will see what I am talking about. I have a buddy that is having the same problems for FTE/FTF. He has went through a several mag manufacturers and the malfunctions still exist. He is looking into different recoil buffers and will change out the bolt ejector etc.

I didn't know if anyone else was having the same problems in the AR platform and maybe the OP would be aware if it is a potential problem he might need to consider.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    FrankT,

You ever have any feeding problems w/ the 6.8? I've seen a lot of people have mag feeding problems and they said to get the barrett mags. Not sure if there were any other problems that may contribute?

I use CPD mags, now they are Duramag and ASC, both are good to go and I have never bent lips or had any issue. Sometime cheap uppers, feed ramps, gassing or buffer or off brand lowers are the cause. I had 5 6.8 ARs and never had a feed problem or had to tweek mags.

Top Bottom