• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If you could have a gun engraved, which one would you choose and what pattern?

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you could have a gun engraved, which one would you choose and what pattern?
    Probably what people call barbecue guns and most likely a 1911. You want it to be a gun that is all steel and the mostly regular surfaces of a 1911 lend themselves well I would think to engraving.
    The scene, for a 1911, some sort of battle scene.

828d2577e6c74808c5eee2edcffbb0f4.jpg

Attachments

• 828d2577e6c74808c5eee2edcffbb0f4.jpg
      828d2577e6c74808c5eee2edcffbb0f4.jpg
      36 KB · Views: 257

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I see what you mean about the 1911 having surface that is fairly flat with space to make the engraving.

I am hoping to meet an engraver later this month. He is delivering several guns to folks in Pensacola. I have seen some of this work and it was also on a 1911 and a revolver. I was thinking about dressing up one of mine but never really thought about which gun.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I see what you mean about the 1911 having surface that is fairly flat with space to make the engraving.

I am hoping to meet an engraver later this month. He is delivering several guns to folks in Pensacola. I have seen some of this work and it was also on a 1911 and a revolver. I was thinking about dressing up one of mine but never really thought about which gun.
    I would ask the opinion of the engraver as to what gun is the better format. Since art is presentation and there are things about it that i do not understand. The revolver has that cylinder that presents some surface.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    An engraved gun is worth less to me than a plain gun but I don’t like tattoos either so to each his own.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    On other people ,tattoos are ok. It makes identifying them easier. :peace:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey while I am not into engraving my own guns, I can respect it as an art. After jewelry, weapons were one of the first items to be engraved or otherwise decorated.

Spatha, an Ulfberht sword, from the Rhine at Mannheim, 1st half of the 9th century, displayed at the Germanisches Nationalmuseum, Nuremberg.
    Ufberht_gerade.jpg
    Or this wheel lock.
    Wheel lock, Wheel lock made entirely of iron, the rooster is completely engraved with rocaille work. 'SEBASTL.' SCHEIDTOGGER IN SALZBURG ', the name is surrounded by curly motifs, the pivot comes through the center of the lock plate. The bag is engraved with curly motifs., anonymous, Austria, c. 1600 - c.
    wheel-lock-wheel-lock-made-entirely-of-iron-the-rooster-is-completely-engraved-with-rocaille-wor.jpg

Attachments

• Ufberht_gerade.jpg
      Ufberht_gerade.jpg
      587.5 KB · Views: 229
    • wheel-lock-wheel-lock-made-entirely-of-iron-the-rooster-is-completely-engraved-with-rocaille-wor.jpg
      wheel-lock-wheel-lock-made-entirely-of-iron-the-rooster-is-completely-engraved-with-rocaille-wor.jpg
      78.9 KB · Views: 155

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    An engraved gun is worth less to me than a plain gun but I don’t like tattoos either so to each his own.

Value is dependant on the quality of: the firearm, the skill of the engraver, the engraving chosen and ultimatly the end result. Laser engraving is cheap and shallow, machine engraving is deeper but mass production offsets rarity and desirability. True Artisan hand engraving can add significant value to a firearm. A floral, western, hunt or animal should be appropriate for the "firearms common usage". Quail and pheasants blend on a shotgun but not well on a revolver. Trump Rules on a SAA probably won't have wide appeal but wester patterns do. The more specifically focused (Wars, States, military units, people and such) the narrower the field of appreciation and its value. Mass produced (even in low numbers like 1K or 2K) "tribute firearms" are very focused. I would be very hesitant on engraving a gun with vivid charcoal/bone case hardening as the engraving may not contrast well and end up conflicting each other.

Bottom line is if its for you and you want it: do it, the value is in what it mean to you. If your priority is market value and resale refer to above info. IMHO

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    A floral, western, hunt or animal should be appropriate for the "firearms common usage". Quail and pheasants blend on a shotgun but not well on a revolver. Trump Rules on a SAA probably won't have wide appeal but wester patterns do. The more specifically focused (Wars, States, military units, people and such) the narrower the field of appreciation and its value. Mass produced (even in low numbers like 1K or 2K) "tribute firearms" are very focused. I would be very hesitant on engraving a gun with vivid charcoal/bone case hardening as the engraving may not contrast well and end up conflicting each other.

Bottom line is if its for you and you want it: do it, the value is in what it mean to you. If your priority is market value and resale refer to above info. IMHO

Your comments are very instructive regarding matching the type of engraving with the type of firearm. To my eye, proper engraving seems to enhance the basic lines of the gun and communicates that it is valued by the owner. I can understand the warning that the value can be decreased by a poorly executed engraving. As always, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Top Bottom