• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joebob2

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have an old Japanese Nambu that my dad gave me when I was a kid. Apparently, when he got out of the Army in 1945, someone told him he wouldn't be able to bring his .45 home, so he traded it for this pistol. It's been sitting around since then, and as far as I know, has not been fired since he came home. Lately, I've been thinking about maybe getting it back in working order. Was wondering if any gunsmiths here have ever worked on one, or if they would be willing to get it going again. Pretty sure it needs new springs, but not sure what else may be involved. The grips are wooden, and are in bad shape, too.

I've read there are two types, a 14 and a 94. Not sure which type this is.

Thanks,

Joebob

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Easy to tell the difference between the 14 & 94, they look completely different. The type a and type 14 are very similar though. Google the nambu 14 and nambu 94 and you'll see what I mean. Ruger copied the 14 for their .22 pistols.
    As for firing, getting ammo might be the hardest part. I'm sure someone makes the 8mm ammo. I'm definitely not an expert on the nambu, but my dad has a few guns brought back from ww2 by his dad and uncles and a type 14 is part of that collection. Not sure he's ever fired it though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Joebob2

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks. It's definitely a Type 14, now that I looked up pics. Found a couple of places that had the ammo. Definitely not cheap, but this isn't something I'd take to the range every trip! Would just like to get it in working order as a tribute to my dad. I lost him almost 37 years ago. Still have his old JC Higgins 12ga pump, as well as the Springfield single shot .22 and a Remington 742 Woodsmaster in .243 he gave me when I was a kid. None of those will ever leave my posession!

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There used to be a good old gun guy in Crestucky,
    but he passed and his daughter closed down his shop...
    The guys at Tactical are competent gunsmiths,
    but I doubt any are old enough to have worked on a Nambu.

Don's Guns in Pensacola on 9-mile road just down from the Cash America Pawn,
    next to the railroad tracks on the north side of the road.
    is the only one I know by name with WW2 weapon experience these days.
    He worked on my Ballester Molina and did a great job, it goes BOOM! :)

The other guy on Hwy 29 near the old Gateswood place I can't remember
    the name of his shop, or his name, but it's just north of the Barber Milk depot, west side of the Highway.
    He specializes in Antiques...and he's good, but had a stiff backlog the last few times I was there.

Buck & Bass used to have a pretty good old guy there, but he's passed
    and I have no idea if anyone ever replaced him.

So, except for Don's, probably not real helpful ;)
    Good Luck!

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Why is it assumed that the old nambu is broken? Get a diagram with all of the parts with labels and go through your gun. Clean it up and see if there is anything obviously wrong. Especially check that it has a functioning firing pin. Bring backs at times had those removed.
    Do a little reading up on the topic. Join this forum for some basic information and from thetr you likely can go elsewhere to get more https://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?52-Firearms-Of-The-Rising-Sun

Joebob2

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the info, Big Shrek. Frommer, I honestly don't know for sure it's broken, but I seem to remember someone years ago telling me the spring was weak. However, I'll do like you said and get it all cleaned up and see exactly what the condition is. Just a little skittish about firing it without someone with some experience with old guns giving it a thumbs up.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Type this into youtube: type 14 nambu pistol and many instructional videos popup.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    8 mm nambu ammo making and loading

Eventually, Huntington had basic 357 Sig cases necked to 8mm and had their headstamp applied: HDS 8mm Nambu. These cases have identical water capacity to necked down unfired 357 Sig cases and a great bonus is that it requires no forming dies, which are very expensive, to alter them to fit the 8mm Nambu loading dies. I have loaded and fired thousands of them using my load data listed below.
    These loads are intended only for T-14 and T-94 pistols in good condition that have been properly assembled.
    I use the 100 grain copper plated lead 8mm Nambu bullets sold by Huntington with excellent results. DO NOT USE lighter bullets with this powder charge. The listed load is just barely sub-sonic; the same load with a lighter bullet would make it super-sonic and most probably highly erratic.
    I use W231 powder and load 4.6 grains behind the 100 grain bullet. I only use Winchester small rifle primers.
    Rifle primers should always be used with bottle necked pistol cartridges to insure uniform point of impact at 25 and 50 yards.
    This loading gives a velocity of 284 meters per second in the T-94 and 334 meters per second in the T-14. Precisely what the post 1929 Japanese loading produced.
    https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/col...nambu-cartridge-to-post-1929-stand-t2326.html

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After watching this video, I'm not sure I still want to fool with it! Looks like it's a pain in the butt. Not reliable at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk2XMWQigu4
    A former marine that got his hands on one during WWII during fighting in the south pacific using issued japanese ammo said it was a sweet firing pistol. I watch enough of MAC I can see that there are some basic things missing from his understanding of firearms even though he is in the business.
    But for sure with ammo that he was able to obtain along with the wolff springs you may very well get malfunctions.
    I would get in touch with dedicated collectors. But it will be a lot of work to maybe get a nambu to function and so such a gun is for someone that likes to experiment and likely you will be required to handload to find a load that works.
    Not for the faint of heart. I would not likely do it.

Joebob2

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is starting to turn into a pipe dream. Maybe the best thing to do is leave well enough alone and keep it on the shelf. Thanks for all the info and advice.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    nambu ammo sept american rifleman 2019
    Steinel 8x22 mm
    Nambu Ammunition
    For collectors of military small
    arms, the Type 94 Nambu is an
    ever-popular choice.Steinel
    Ammunitionhas released acartridge
    specically for use in these