• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have been searching for a good while for one like this...even thought about a visit to oneshot

I will get more pictures later but here is a start

IMG_2561.jpg

When I got this to test fire my good friend and I went over it and he found the trigger group was dry and said some
    spots needed to be greased so he did. I got these 3 off before the sear engagement issue uncovered itself.

IMG_2562.jpg

not bad for 168 GMM and the first time I shot it. Whom ever monkeyed the trigger left it at a 2.75 1st stage and a 3.75 total.
    I need to order a new hammer.

I will get more pictures and the history that I know of it shortley

Attachments

• IMG_2561.jpg
      IMG_2561.jpg
      28.2 KB · Views: 597
    • IMG_2562.jpg
      IMG_2562.jpg
      58.4 KB · Views: 596

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The butthead I work for has me working 12-14 hours days...not much time for other things..here is a quick snapshot of the whole thing.
    IMG_2563.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2563.jpg
      IMG_2563.jpg
      16.4 KB · Views: 531

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    One of my good buddies and Hook Boutin were really good friends along with Nelson and Gene Barnett. Several of his rifles he competed in High Power matches he and Hook built and they shot together at Ft. Benning and Camp Perry. I missed a trip with him to meet Hook and I missed another trip with him for Hook's 90th birthday I think. I did send Hook a box of early '60s Match Ammo that I picked up somewhere for his birthday. I also supplied the .308 blanks used in the M1A's for his Honor Guard.

I have wanted one of Hooks rifles but was about to settle for one I was going to build from parts. I had my hands on a NIB double lug that my buddy has on hand. We have been in planning stages since Hook's passing. Then I had a wonderful opportunity to pick this rifle up.

Prior to the purchase my friend and I went through the rifle to check out the claims that it was built by Hook. My friend believed it was by the things he saw and I will point them out along the way. He also said the trigger needed some grease and did that with what I had on hand.

I can not see red targets with open sights at any distance. I fired these 3 rounds from holds that appeared to be in the center of the target from the border and before the sear issue popped up and I was nicely asked not to shoot it at the DNR range :D. The guy next to me got up and ran :)

It has a lugged flash suppressor and standard front sight not a NM.

IMG_2565.jpg

and a standard rear sight as well.

IMG_2569.jpg

not sure what the lettering is....well I get the left part anyway :)

It looks like it may have an H&R trigger group in it. 1st stage trigger pull measured 2.75# and a total pull of 3.75#. I think it should be 4.5#. Someone must have monkeyed with it after it left Hook's...about 40% engagement it looks like. My gunsmith friend says I should replace the hammer and fit it. My other buddy says he can fix that one. He also has a TRW hammer on hand...might try and find an H&R

IMG_2568.jpg

My buddy says that the trigger pin looks like the ones Hook made.

IMG_2572.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2565.jpg
      IMG_2565.jpg
      47.8 KB · Views: 490
    • IMG_2569.jpg
      IMG_2569.jpg
      59 KB · Views: 491
    • IMG_2568.jpg
      IMG_2568.jpg
      33.3 KB · Views: 500
    • IMG_2572.jpg
      IMG_2572.jpg
      39.2 KB · Views: 495

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The gas system has been pinned I think it is called (You can't turn it off to fire single rounds) It was screwed instead of welded. I hear it go both ways as to which is better...just know screws don't generate heat.

IMG_2574.jpg

it also has the pressure relief hole in the position Hook put it so it is not visable from the top of the rifle in the prone position.

IMG_2567.jpg

The barrel is heavy and Gene Barnett did a majority of barrels for Hook. I have heard it two different ways. Gene Barnett stamps his barrels on the bottom right in front of the receiver with his initials. Gene Barnett stamps the rifle builders initials on the bottom of the barrel...Gerald "Hook" Boutin. Either way this barrel most likely was done by Gene Barnett and I understand most of the ones he did for Hook were Douglas.

IMG_2570.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2574.jpg
      IMG_2574.jpg
      32 KB · Views: 496
    • IMG_2567.jpg
      IMG_2567.jpg
      33.4 KB · Views: 478
    • IMG_2570.jpg
      IMG_2570.jpg
      42.8 KB · Views: 491
    Last edited:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I kinda like the laminated stock. I am not fond of the gloss and may take an opportunity to refinish it and make it dull. There are a couple of runs and scratches...kinda want to make my own :D

IMG_2577.jpg

It is also bedded like Hook used to do it with Devcon

IMG_2575.JPG
    IMG_2576.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2577.jpg
      IMG_2577.jpg
      85.1 KB · Views: 480
    • IMG_2575.JPG
      IMG_2575.JPG
      37 KB · Views: 503
    • IMG_2576.jpg
      IMG_2576.jpg
      58.3 KB · Views: 475

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    IHC is for International Harvester Corporation
    DRC is for Druge Brothers Manufacturing Corp

IHC contracted out to other companies to produce parts for the rifles they made/assembled.

Sweet looking rifle.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When you said purdy thang, I thought you were referring lol to something like this.

Purdey shotgun

drifle-620x424-c-default.jpg

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yeah...but that is a Purdey thang...mine is just Purdy...that one really should have 2 or more es in it...Purdeeey

Gaterbaitii

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Sorry to hear about your friends passing. Nice M1A.

Yeah your gas system is unitized using screws and hand guard most likely glued to the front band. If the hand guard is glued, it shouldn't not move or have very minute movement. This was the AMU (Army Marksmanship Unit) way of unitizing their gas systems for improved accuracy.

Is the double lug a receiver or complete rifle?

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yes, Hook was AMU. The hand guard isn't glued but tight, we talked about attaching it with silicone. Thank you for the sentiment, however Hook and my friend were good friends. I have heard enough stories from him to feel like I knew Hook, and I failed to take advantage of two opportunities to meet him.

the one my friend offered me for the build is a receiver only

Gaterbaitii

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    I have a SAI built Supermatch from 2007 and smoothed over by smith Enterprises that has yet to be shot. My hand guard has been siliconed and seems to do the job. One of these days I'll see how she shoots unless I sell it off. If you have time and find the magic recipe hand load, I'm sure that "Purdy Thang" will shoot lights out!

I know the feeling, I have family overseas that I have yet to meet and procrastinated on things I want to do. I guess 23 yrs in the military and 10 duty locations kept me busy, along with my young kids. I just recently retired from the Air Force and I gotta get on the ball and knock out stuff I've been putting off before I regret it.

If you ever get around to building that double lug into a rifle, keep us informed.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    He has those 2 and also has 2 receivers he got from Glenn Nelson, they are numbered Nelly 1 and Nelly 2. He couldn't get the Garand receiver from him that had Nelson as its number. I have been kinda blessed lately it would seem. I have seen an M14 with the ser# 308 that a friend has and where this rifle came from, he has a Garand I think with the ser# 761

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I did get to meet Hook a couple of times when I was shooting at FB, didn;t get to talk to him much, got to meet Nelson and talk to him a lot, all ways went by his shop when I went to FB too shoot made a point to go a day ahead go by and see him , he all ways had time to talk with you and show you around, had him build about 6 rifles for me during the time had two con. # SP. they have been a long gone wish I still had one of them , still have a M1 in 308 HB, that had Nelson do. Just my 10 cents jj

Gaterbaitii

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    He has those 2 and also has 2 receivers he got from Glenn Nelson, they are numbered Nelly 1 and Nelly 2. He couldn't get the Garand receiver from him that had Nelson as its number. I have been kinda blessed lately it would seem. I have seen an M14 with the ser# 308 that a friend has and where this rifle came from, he has a Garand I think with the ser# 761

Pretty cool!

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I did get to meet Hook a couple of times when I was shooting at FB, didn;t get to talk to him much, got to meet Nelson and talk to him a lot, all ways went by his shop when I went to FB too shoot made a point to go a day ahead go by and see him , he all ways had time to talk with you and show you around, had him build about 6 rifles for me during the time had two con. # SP. they have been a long gone wish I still had one of them , still have a M1 in 308 HB, that had Nelson do. Just my 10 cents jj

He has stories about Nelson as well :) and you may have shot with my friend at FB as well.

Gaterbaitii

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    I always wanted a Glenn Nelson M1A Match/Super match. I see them quite often GB, but I need to see it in person before I bought one....especially what people tend to ask for them.

One of my prized rifles is a U.S. Gov't and USN SATU (Navy Small Arms Training Unit...like AMU) marked Remington 40X HB .22lr from the 70's. It's in very good shape w/ a Unertl 14x scope. It was accurized by two well known armorers Don McCoy and Art Luppino. Don has since passed and his M1 Garands are very collectable. This 40X rifle was used for the shooting team and was owned by Art Luppino the sole owner of this rifle, besides the Gov't. Art is in his 80's, and I made sure that I was able to talk to him via email and phone to ensure I got the history of this rifle before it gets lost. The gun is stamped "USN SATU" with the serial number. It would be one of those guns you would buy going off of hearse and stories etc. I made sure I got some provenance on the rifle for this reason. I have been on multiple forums and NO ONE has seen another. Art mentioned the same thing as most stuff was demilitarized when SATU closed in the 70's due to funding. The Navy Marksmanship Team is now called USNMT.

My rifle has history and I am very proud to own it, just like you and your M1A!

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Not sure if this should go under What Gun Stuff Did You Do Today or not

Had a whole bad news good news thing today....turns out that the TRW hammer was in pretty bad shape after all. He put my hammer back in and started on it with emery cloth. I got distracted and he announced he thought he had it. It looks like it is a from parts GI trigger group, which is fine. H&R safety, Winchester hammer and I forgot what he told me the trigger was. I ran 3 two shot groups and felt a strong trigger reset in between each round...whew glad that's behind me. No more 3-4 round bursts before I can let the trigger go. Trigger pull weight is 3.5# first stage and 4.5# total.

We ran a throat gauge in it...a 1 feels odd but a 1.5 will not go. Bolt will not close on a +.002 headspace gauge but will on a +.0015. Fired brass measures .00225...that's tight.

I also measured that group I shot up top that I thought for some reason was about 1MOA...it measured .571...bet that will neva happen again...but I'll try.

Top Bottom