APOD Firearms

How stupid can a private security guard be?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Very hard to believe. The deputy that was threatened last I read was suing this idiot and his company. At the site where I found this, several said they would have shot this idiot and gone after the other idiot that called 911 with out bothering to state the man with a gun was an uniformed LEO.
    An armed security guard at an IRS office in Toledo, Ohio points gun at a Lucas county deputy sheriff in uniform. Stupidity can come in waves, as another IRS employee calls 911 with a MWAG report, failing to mention that the man is a uniformed police officer:

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are signs posted that state no guns allowed , there are no exceptions for any branch of law enforcement, If you are there on personal tax business.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are signs posted that state no guns allowed , there are no exceptions for any branch of law enforcement, If you are there on personal tax business.
    I am not sure of the legality of the LEO wearing his weapon there. You will notice that the only one that is facing charges is the security guard. At highly secure federal installationd that I have been there are lock boxes for the guns of LEOs that have business there.
    It will interesting to see where the criminal charge and civil case go.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The security guard appears to have been fired.
    The issue is quite complicated and Eklund may be able to claim self defense since he claims that the deputy was resting his arm or hand on his gun.

Mr. Eklund was reportedly terminated, and is facing two counts of aggravated menacing. He pleaded not guilty and is scheduled for pretrial Aug. 26 in Toledo Municipal Court.

Deputy Gaston has not been charged related to the incident.
    More at:
    https://www.toledoblade.com/local/p...e-service-paragon-systems/stories/20190724121

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You can tell the security fool was a professional mall cop by his "full time use of "black pat down gloves". Vid clearly shows Deputy walking out with his hands/arms freely swinging. The "hero wanna be" follows the Officer out the door with His gun drawn and pointed at Deputy's back. No Threat/Self Defense there.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    How dare this deputy walk in after hours and disturb the Call of Duty tournament.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IMO . . that is too damned weird.
    ANYBODY that points a gun at me . . . i'm gonna do something besides get a "give a shit" attitude,turn my back on a loaded gun,and casually walk away.
    Not sayin' that I would immediately resort to violence but just walk away . . . NOPE !! --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    IMO . . that is too damned weird.
    ANYBODY that points a gun at me . . . i'm gonna do something besides get a "give a shit" attitude,turn my back on a loaded gun,and casually walk away.
    Not sayin' that I would immediately resort to violence but just walk away . . . NOPE !! --- SAWMAN
    Maybe one could talk the private guard down.
    The LEO was doing the overall smart thing. He wants to do his retirement years and if he was killed his family should be well taken care after civil payments and suing the pants of the private security firm. There was certainly a training and also psychological failing relative to the guard's performance.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I see the race baiting media is quick to frame it as a White IRS Security Guard pulls gun on Sheriff's Deputy: a Black Officer. I'm so tired of this crap, they relate the story and not a single race issue.

Mall cop pled not guilty. Deputy says he suffered extreme emotional and psychological distress (but not enough to keep relating the story to the media), on medical leave and filed a Civil Lawsuit.

I'd bet the frail looking civ in the vid with all the Cops is called 911. If Caller could see the Deputy and didn't convey that information, especially after the Operator/Dispatch asked for more information: that could be endangerment. That Admin pouge needs a pink slip too.

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Anybody can order a police uniform and walk around with a loaded weapon. Security guard did a good job in my book as he was ready to defend the employees of that building and risk his own life in doing so which is more than some of us keyboard heros. I'm not an expert on if the guard broke any rules and Im glad that it turned out to be a real cop and not some nut job on a mission.

Imagine a crazy person wearing a uniform of any legitimate state or government gun carrying agency and going into any building they want to shoot whomever they want whenever they want.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anybody can order a police uniform and walk around with a loaded weapon. Security guard did a good job in my book as he was ready to defend the employees of that building and risk his own life in doing so which is more than some of us keyboard heros. I'm not an expert on if the guard broke any rules and Im glad that it turned out to be a real cop and not some nut job on a mission.
    Imagine a crazy person wearing a uniform of any legitimate state or government gun carrying agency and going into any building they want to shoot whomever they want whenever they want.

But it wasn't a fake cop and it wasn't hypothetical. It was a guy one step above mall cop and one step below armored truck duty that made a shit decission far exceeding use of force norms. He asks a cop to put his firearm in his car (which is against Dept policy due to inadequate security), cop says no, can't do that, and tries to leave (proper action) when itchy finger clown draws on the Officer: follows him outside his zone of control (IRS Lobby/Offices) to public unrestricted hallway under gun point and prevents his departure by physically blocking elevator door: all without power to arrest above a ñormal citizen. I would have charged him with kidnaping plus the aggravated menacing. IMHO

chibooey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would have no problem with the Security Guard telling the police officer he could not be in those offices while armed, but he had absolutely no justification to point a firearm at the officer. The officer made no gesture to make anyone believe he was any type of threat but perhaps there was a threat made to the office and they were at some form of high alert status. Guard being fired was appropriate in my opinion. Sued? Guess that will go to the courts and let the judge decide what the guards orders were, if they were to point firearms at anyone entering the office while armed the guard should get off and the office manager fired and sued. I do not believe there was any type of threat, there was no absolutely no reason for the guard to draw his weapon let alone point it at the LEO. Somehow I believe some common sense on the guards part is missing.

Last edited:

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Once a Security Guard leaves his/her appointed post, they are considered terminated. I ran into the leaving ones post issue when I did security for a few weeks.

We were told, that if working a beach condo job and a guest was drowning, getting mugged, raped etc , my only requirement was to call 911. I was not to leave my post to conduct a rescue, or to prevent a crime from occurring. I asked if I watched and don't act to prevent the death, or crime, or rape, etc, could I not be charged by the law. Was told again, that is not your job, if your morals and conscience make it necessary for you to make a rescue. Then understand you are fired as soon as you do. I quit not long after that, guess I had morals and a conscience afterall.

Did the SG overstep his bounds I believe he did. But then again that is my opinion and some might not agree with me.

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    The security guards in this case are more than mall cops or armored truck drivers. They are actually only one step below sworn law enforcement. Now, Im not excusing his course of action. But these protective security officers are on a federal contract which is run by homeland security. They do play by different rules than the walmart security or other armed security around here. Being on this contract they are not even subject to state of florida inspectors for security licenses

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The security guards in this case are more than mall cops or armored truck drivers. They are actually only one step below sworn law enforcement. Now, Im not excusing his course of action. But these protective security officers are on a federal contract which is run by homeland security. They do play by different rules than the walmart security or other armed security around here. Being on this contract they are not even subject to state of florida inspectors for security licenses
    Interesting and just the entire federal thing is likely different. But, it did not stop the responding LEOs from hauling off the gun toting dough boy to the slammer and facing criminal charges.

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Its always a constant pee match between those guards and local leo due to this very issue of not allowing local leo’s to carry inside even in uniform. Especially when they find out the guards make as much or more per hour with less headache

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Its always a constant pee match between those guards and local leo due to this very issue of not allowing local leo’s to carry inside even in uniform. Especially when they find out the guards make as much or more per hour with less headache
    There was no lock box or other means for LEOs to secure their weapons and so it becomes a catch 22 for the LEO. They basically are prohibited from entering in jurisdictions where full time carry is required and securing the weapons in the car is also prohibited. Fact is I know for civilians one can not even possess a firearm in the post office parking either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom