• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Precisely why I'm now exploring .45-SUPER :)
    Nice .45 size hole...but with more expansion & stretch of the wound channel due to the higher speed. On the upside, they'll bleed out faster from those torso hits, along with more of a chance to hit heart/lungs/liver/spleen with the cavitation...figure about 10-20 hogs will show if Super is significantly better than ACP...which will also show if it'll do more on burglars ;)

I believe I posted it here elsewhere. You need velocities of 2200 fps or better for the stretch cavity to be effective. I am sure on hogs the super will be more effective than the is the standard .45 ACP. Especially for a carefully placed shot. If the hog is charging and precise shot placement is very difficult, I would just would not want to be there regardless of what firearm I had. Some of the male hogs are said to have a cape that is tough. The more powerful handgun could be important there.
    Apparently hogs can stop the cheapo FMJ 7.62x39 rifle loads according to autopsy photos I have seen of dead hogs. The deformed FMJ bullets are often found in the off side.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The premier one shot stop is still the 125gr coming out of a 6" 357Mag at 1450.
    The 45Super is . . well . . super. Nothing has to be done to the gun. You could change the recoil spring upwards by a pound or two if you wanted to.
    The Super is best shot from 5 inches of bbl. A Glock 21 with a spring change would be my choice. But it is a huge gun for concealed carry. You will get added vels from any gun but the longer bbls gives you the best bang for your buck. --- SAWMAN

The pistol in question is a Star Megastar 45. 4 & 1/2" barrel.
    Unfortunately nobody ever made a longer threaded barrel...I'd sure buy one!
    It likes .45-SUPER at the range, just haven't hunted with it yet!
    Wanted to make sure it was reliable before messing with hogs...
    Megastar 45.JPG

I bowhunt hogs usually, so making sure a tree is nearby to zip up is always in my mind...it has saved my kneecaps more than once!

Attachments

• Megastar 45.JPG
      Megastar 45.JPG
      384.6 KB · Views: 205

Bjstone

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Isn’t that what government does? Creat problems where there isn’t any? If it ain’t broke they fix it until it is. Lol

m4a1sof

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just glad I never bought anything chambered in .40S&W. I was recently looking for a now discontinued pistol that was sold in either .40&
    W or 9mm. Found a bunch in .40S&W but the 9mm's were scarce as hens teeth and were priced about one and a half to two times as much as the .40S&W. Funny how times change, I remember when the .40S&W was all the rage.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Wondering . . . If the 40Short&Weak is so damned great,why in the hell did they choose the 45GAP ??
    Multiple people got rich on this "deal". --- SAWMAN

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It’s been great for the guys that like .40 , the 9mm fanboys have talked themselves into having to pay more. I’ve just about changed over to the 357 sig entirely. I can’t find a thing that 9mm does that a 357 sig can’t do better , other than cost less to shoot.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is you handgun selection and caliber based on a popularity contest or your choices? There's no perfect choice that fits everyone, finding one perfect for you is what matters. Remember the FBI went to the 10mm/.40S&W because the 9mm was ineffective. In the most recent FBI Tests the 9mm has edged out .40S&W primarily due to: wear, recoil, frame size and capacity were noted but what tipped the scales was a new specific 9mm cartridge (magic bullet) that raised 9mm performance. Without that magic cartridge, the 9mm goes back where it was when the .40S&W replaced it originally. Any bullet, even magic ones: can fail to work as advertised. That leaves a level playing field where cartridge preformance is based on Ball projectiles. IMHO.

Most LE Agencies/Depts decide what their Officers will carry, you have a choice: make it for your reasons.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is you handgun selection and caliber based on a popularity contest or your choices? There's no perfect choice that fits everyone, finding one perfect for you is what matters. Remember the FBI went to the 10mm/.40S&W because the 9mm was ineffective. In the most recent FBI Tests the 9mm has edged out .40S&W primarily due to: wear, recoil, frame size and capacity were noted but what tipped the scales was a new specific 9mm cartridge (magic bullet) that raised 9mm performance. Without that magic cartridge, the 9mm goes back where it was when the .40S&W replaced it originally. Any bullet, even magic ones: can fail to work as advertised. That leaves a level playing field where cartridge preformance is based on Ball projectiles. IMHO.

Most LE Agencies/Depts decide what their Officers will carry, you have a choice: make it for your reasons.
    Is that the kind of bullet that is self guided and hits the goblin between eyes every time. People are always looking for Excalibur rather than hard training to have skill.

Max Flatus

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That is the plan but new handgun acquisition is on hold. Word is Glock threw a fit at not being selected.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is that the kind of bullet that is self guided and hits the goblin between eyes every time. People are always looking for Excalibur rather than hard training to have skill.

A quick search shows the FBI magic 9mm is: found two different answers! May 2018 Article says Winchester's PDX1 9mm cartridge with 147-grain bonded jacket hollow-point bullet. Oct 2018 Article said Hornady Critical Defense 9mm 135 grain. I believe Hornady got the primary contract.

http://www.bluesheepdog.com/2018/05/31/f-b-i-selects-winchester-9mm-ammunition/
    https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/the-story-behind-the-fbi-new-duty-load/325989

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A quick search shows the FBI magic 9mm is: found two different answers! May 2018 Article says Winchester's PDX1 9mm cartridge with 147-grain bonded jacket hollow-point bullet. Oct 2018 Article said Hornady Critical Defense 9mm 135 grain. I believe Hornady got the primary contract.

http://www.bluesheepdog.com/2018/05/31/f-b-i-selects-winchester-9mm-ammunition/
    https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/the-story-behind-the-fbi-new-duty-load/325989
    The school of thought that I belong says: Pistols is pistols and rifles is rifles.
    Most common police and military loads are not really that effective for taking someone down with one shot unless you hit them in some particularly vital spot. While this may be heresy for some, the difference between a 9x19 parabellum load or from .45 ACP is not so dramatic. To stop an armed foe is to continue to shoot them to ground until they are no longer a threat. A bullet in the face is more effective in stopping as compared to one through the torso.
    None of these common pistol loads, 9mm, 40, .45 acp are in the same league with a 55 grain expanding bullet at 3000 fps when it comes to tissue destruction.

Max Flatus

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Everything I have learned and all the studies I’ve seen support frommerstops statement. As hard as it is to believe, there’s little difference in power between a 45 and a 9 mm if they use similar bullet designs. Shot placement and multiple hits in the kill zone are all that really count, barring a lucky CNS hit.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Everything I have learned and all the studies I’ve seen support frommerstops statement. As hard as it is to believe, there’s little difference in power between a 45 and a 9 mm if they use similar bullet designs. Shot placement and multiple hits in the kill zone are all that really count, barring a lucky CNS hit.
    The only proviso I can make is relative to hitting major elements of the skeletal system and breaking them. Some people claim that a .45 will break a femur or pelvis in contrast to the 9mm. I do not know, but if true it would make the goblin fall down.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Off the grid concepts motto(probably not theirs originally but the first place I heard it)....

Two to the chest, the face gets the rest.

Top Bottom