• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Glock 37 (full size) chambered in 45GAP . . . that's what.
    Wondering what load they carry in the gun ?? Why GAP ??
    They could qualify easier if they shot a 380Auto. --- SAWMAN

bigbirney

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Glock offered to completely outfit FHP with the GAP pistols for free. They went with it. Worst “cost savings” ever. Have probably lost three times that money in inflated ammo cost. I recall them having trouble finding any ammo for them at all at one time. Dumbest new pistol cartridge ever - the solution to a problem that didn’t exist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Thanks for the link Nate. Good info although IMO kinda "slanted" in favor of the GAP.
    POWER - - -> IF the 45ACP is loaded up to it's potential it will put out more power than the GAP. Especially in the 200-230gr loads. And even using the 165's.
    Problem is . . . factory ACP loads have to conform to some of the extremely old guns that are out there. You will seldom see a ACP losd loaded up to SAAMI max.
    Even "MOST" of the 60 and 70 year old ACP's out there will handle the 45SUPER specs. Compare those to the GAP . . . you GAPpers.
    The weight difference thing is not even worthy of arguement . . . EXCEPT FOR . . . asking if you would rather carry a Glock 22 or a 17. And that would simply be a "more ammo . . more weight" thing.
    RECOIL - - -> I have shot the GAP in the mid sized Glock using a 185gr load. To me,the recoil was all of the ACP . . AND . . more snappy.
    IMO - - -> the GAP is an answer to a question that was never asked. And think about this. If the GAP never came to be,what would the agencies that carry it,be carrying now,and why ??
    I truly believe that the GAP was literally forced on some agencies. One of my reasons for this belief is this. How many different GAP's are chambered by how many different manufacturers ?? How many GAP's are used as range guns ?? How many people with a concealed carry permit actually carry a GAP ?? How readily available is GAP ammo ??
    Load your ACP up to it's potential,using the right bullet . . and . . whaaaah laaaaah . . you got a 45GAP+P. ---- SAWMAN

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Glock made a bet that the mag limit ban would stick around. They lost and the round didn't gain any traction.

All things being equal, a larger case will allow for more velocity but having 45 performance in a smaller package isn't a bad thing. Kind of line the aguila mini shells.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Let the caliber wars begin
    For combat shooting, the 9x19 parabellum that the germans issued more than 100 years is still the best combat load out there for killing men. It was issued in 1908 in the PO8 model of the luger and is still the best overall choice in 2019. If one accounts for recoil, penetration, wt of the weapon, magazine capacity, tissue damage it is the best pistol load choice. If the FL HP does change calibers, return to the 9x19 as many other departments are doing.
    When the US Army choose the original colt .45 revolver load of 40 grains of black power with a 255 projectile, pistols were used against mounted warriors. Both horses and men were targets. Ever since the Philippine fighting of 1905 and the failure of the .38 black powder long colt loading americans have had a love affair with the .45. When I was a kid people would tell me how .45 ACP goes so slow that it will knock a man completely off his feet and that the .30 us car was so fast it would go through a man and do minor damage. Variants of this thinking are still around.

I have 9's, .45's, and a .40. I can shoot the 9 faster and more accurately. This is what is being found out by a lot of people. For the HP I can see a use for the .357 sig since with the right bullets it should penetrate vehicle sheet metal better like the .38 Colt super was supposed to originally do.
    For a big bear, the 10mm seems a better choice.

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    SAWMAN, you need to go to Tally and school those guys before they go to .22mag.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jerry, the problem with the FHP is they just don't get the chance to shoot near enough people. --- SAWMAN
    I can send the FHP to places where they have my permission to shoot a lot of lowlifes. Do lowlifes count as people lol?

Last edited:

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The other reason for .45GAP was slightly smaller grip, which meant GIRLS could hold one.
    That's what is driving the 9mm thing in Gov't Agencies lately...Female Requirements.
    Smaller grip, doesn't weigh much, & any chick can hold one while being relatively accurate with it...so GAP really does answer a very important question for LEO Managers...can a chick carry & use it effectively?? .45GAP, in that setting, frankly excels over 9mm.

9mm is basically a .38special out of a semi-auto, that's all it is.
    Has the same headaches and benefits as the .38SPL had.

45 vs 9.jpg

only-9mm.jpg

Attachments

• 45 vs 9.jpg
      45 vs 9.jpg
      53.7 KB · Views: 305
    • only-9mm.jpg
      only-9mm.jpg
      37.5 KB · Views: 307

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One big difference between a k frame .38 and a full size automatic pistol is felt recoil. I have found it easier to fire 3-400 rounds of .45ACP in a 1911 than in a K frame .38 spl. A polymer 9mm glock is even easier on me than is a .38 spl.
    9mm being a .38 spl.
    You need to go +P in a .38 to get near what standard 9mm loads will do and I normally shoot +P+ 9mm in my glocks.

The big thing is with typical automatic pistols loads whether .45 or 9mm is you still have to be ready to shoot them multiple times to quickly put the goblins down with typical torso hits. One hit in the torso from a .45 ACP does not automatically mean instant devastation even if many people think that it does.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yeah but . . . just one 147gr out of my Glock 31 (357Sig) and . . . ka-blewieeeeeeeee . . . they explode. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah but . . . just one 147gr out of my Glock 31 (357Sig) and . . . ka-blewieeeeeeeee . . . they explode. --- SAWMAN
    There were people that use to drive real hot loads out of the N-frame .357's that with expanding bullets were putting them down beyond what is usually associated with pistols or at least that is what people were saying.
    There are some dillon cartridges that may be pretty hot also.
    The 9x25 dillon from the 10 mm case: 125 gr (8 g) FMJ-FP Match or Speer Gold Dot JHP 1,700 ft/s (520 m/s) 802 ft⋅lbf (1,087 J)
    I see that a 10 mm glock will accept a 9x25 barrel to function with the 9x25 cartridge.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One big difference between a k frame .38 and a full size automatic pistol is felt recoil. I have found it easier to fire 3-400 rounds of .45ACP in a 1911 than in a K frame .38 spl. A polymer 9mm glock is even easier on me than is a .38 spl.
    9mm being a .38 spl.
    You need to go +P in a .38 to get near what standard 9mm loads will do and I normally shoot +P+ 9mm in my glocks.

The big thing is with typical automatic pistols loads whether .45 or 9mm is you still have to be ready to shoot them multiple times to quickly put the goblins down with typical torso hits. One hit in the torso from a .45 ACP does not automatically mean instant devastation even if many people think that it does.

Precisely why I'm now exploring .45-SUPER :)
    Nice .45 size hole...but with more expansion & stretch of the wound channel due to the higher speed. On the upside, they'll bleed out faster from those torso hits, along with more of a chance to hit heart/lungs/liver/spleen with the cavitation...figure about 10-20 hogs will show if Super is significantly better than ACP...which will also show if it'll do more on burglars ;)

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The premier one shot stop is still the 125gr coming out of a 6" 357Mag at 1450.
    The 45Super is . . well . . super. Nothing has to be done to the gun. You could change the recoil spring upwards by a pound or two if you wanted to.
    The Super is best shot from 5 inches of bbl. A Glock 21 with a spring change would be my choice. But it is a huge gun for concealed carry. You will get added vels from any gun but the longer bbls gives you the best bang for your buck. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom