Join GulfCoastGunForum For Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    45 ACP

I need help identifying this sword

Recently was given two swords by my dad and he had no clue what era or even what kind of swords they were other than saying something along the lines of Landsnecht. My first guess was I thought it was a zweihander but the blade is way too broad so I thought maybe it was an executioners sword but executioners wouldnt have a point or be as long. I really have no idea and am just drawing blanks at the moment as it seems to be a blend of a bunch of different sword designs. What I can tell you is that it is a higher carbon steel and it it hand forged. You can see the hammer marks up and down the blade where it was widened, the hilt is wrapped in leather wrapped silver wire and the cross guard was hand made and twisted as you can see the raw imperfections from hand tools. Any more info given will be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

the other looks like a katana..

any markings on the blade, at the base, or along the top of the blade?
    John 15:13 "Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

You live and learn or you don't live long....

3. Likes fl57caveman's Post:

45 ACP
    None that I can see, if I was to guess, there might be one under the leather wrappings on the hilt but for obvious reasons I don’t want to check. There are no obvious markings anywhere on the sword that I can find at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylemr11 View Post
    None that I can see, if I was to guess, there might be one under the leather wrappings on the hilt but for obvious reasons I donít want to check. There are no obvious markings anywhere on the sword that I can find at least.

that is a good sign, as most older authentic swords had the makers mark under the handle.. more modern swords have blade markings..
    John 15:13 "Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

6. Likes fl57caveman's Post:

45 ACP
    Any idea where I could take it around here to have it appraised or just gain more info about it?

the gun knife show at the hadji shrine on 9 mile rd tomorrow...

9. Likes fl57caveman's Post:

45 ACP
    I’ll try to make my way out there after work if I can get off early enough lol!

if it is a katana you remove the handle to see the markings. Take better and close up pics and send off to someone that knows swords
    Vietnam Vet...Vets Helping Vets...To ALL who Serve: Thank You for your Service!
    The 6.8SPCII is the #1 choice for hunting deer and hogs with an AR15

VETS for TRUMP 2020 ** KEEP AMERICA GREAT !! "VICTORY"

13. Likes FrankT's Post:

The first Blade: the two ring plus cross-guard is a Long Sword design. However, longsword blades are narrow and slightly wider than the grip, compared to the much wider and long taper (like yours) Broadsword. I didn't notice the protruding rings in the first pic and was pretty sure it was a Scottish Claymore. Merging technology from two designs? Early 11th Century design cross-guards were straight and long, later they angled or curved foward and/or shorter. There's no hard and fast connection between designs, dates and geographical area as they progressed at their own pace and influenced by what they encounter and when. It could be origional or an old movie prop, I wouldn't sell it till I knew for sure. The Braveheart guy William Wallace was excuted in 1305, the Sword alledged to be his has the two ring cross-guard (bent tips) is in a museum Google: Two Ring Longsword and Claymore sword for examples, add Museum to look at origional/partials.
    Wild Rider

Those that give up their guns are on a self destructive fools errand. Tyranny shall never take what it didn't provide: not by paper, not by Court and not by force.

15. Likes wildrider666's Post: