• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I am flying out on business From Pensacola to Austin Texas on United Airlines. I have read their policies on traveling with firearms and I have no problems with complying. I wanted to find out if anyone of you have traveled to Texas with a firearm in the checked baggage. I haven't traveled on an airline with a gun in many years so I wanted to see if it going to be a big hassel.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Comply with the TSA & Airline Regs, check what boundries exist as firearm prohibited zones at your arrival airport. Gear up outside Restricted Zones. Happy Trails.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Good to know. I have been researching the PCola Airport and Austin Airport. Didn't know if there were some other hoops that I may encounter.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nonstop flight is better. Reduces the risk of a stop-over in a communist state like NewYorkistan. Luckily, Florida to Texas, you'd have to divert well out of your way to land in one of those. Although, I've seen some 2-stop flight routes that almost back-tracked completely, so you gotta double-check.

Edit to add: and nonstop would "probably" reduce the risk of lost baggage, but I have no confidence in the airline industry's baggage handling competence. Too many clown-shoes shady incidents witnessed. I haven't checked a bag in almost 20-years, unless it was for a military "trip".

Last edited:

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can't speak for a trip to Texas but I flew to Montana with a gun and followed the published procedures and had absolutely no problem. I was jumpy at first but the airline people acted as if it were no problem and handled it professionally. The only thing they did was put a seal on the case and it went immediately to the back. Ammo was sent separately in its own box and everything arrived in perfect shape. More weapons are checked than a person would think.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Easy stuff. I fly all over with my handgun. Good locked container, unloaded. I take the slide off just so they can really see that fact! Only you can have the key. Ammo in the factory box, not in the magazine! Or ammo in a container that does not let them get loose rounds in your bag!!!

Ammo and gun go in the same case me and the airline I fly. May be different on yours. But TSA minimum says ammo and gun can be in same locked container. I take one extra step and use a cable lock to lock my case to my suitcase!

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm pretty sure TSA allows cartridges to be loaded in magazines as long as the mags are not inserted in the firearm. The no loaded Mags may be an Airline restriction.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm pretty sure TSA allows cartridges to be loaded in magazines as long as the mags are not inserted in the firearm. The no loaded Mags may be an Airline restriction.
    Most airlines require it to be in an original type box or plastic box specific for ammo

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Top Bottom