• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Deer Hunters: QDMA Escambia Field Day Program Set For Saturday
    July 18, 2019

The Quality Deer Management Association Escambia Branch Field Day will be held Saturday, July 20 in Cantonment.
    The free event will feature speakers Keith Swilly on 12 Years of Quality Deer Management and Ben Westfall on QDM Coops, research from UF/IFAS and regulation updates from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

The event will take place from 8 a.m. until 1 p.m. at the Langley Bell 4-H Center at 3730 Stefani Road. Admission is free, and there will be door prizes

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Same day as the gun show.
    Yeah,right.
    QDMA is for the rich northern boys that can afford to plant a 12A food plot,with that seed that has a picture of a deer on the bag,using equipment that is worth a half million dollars. Down here . . . not for me.
    We will never (EVER !!) have any better deer than what we have now. Especially with the redneck mentality towards hunting and the craziness coming from FWC. --- SAWMAN

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Same day as the gun show.
    Yeah,right.
    QDMA is for the rich northern boys that can afford to plant a 12A food plot,with that seed that has a picture of a deer on the bag,using equipment that is worth a half million dollars. Down here . . . not for me.
    We will never (EVER !!) have any better deer than what we have now. Especially with the redneck mentality towards hunting and the craziness coming from FWC. --- SAWMAN
    I'm sorry but you're wrong. On multiple points.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sorry for being wrong John.
    May I please ask . . . which "multiple points" ?? ---- SAWMAN

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sorry for being wrong John.
    May I please ask . . . which "multiple points" ?? ---- SAWMAN
    That we will never have big deer, or the craziness coming from FWC...

I agree with the redneck mentality, that is the main reason why we don't see a lot of "big" (antler size, not body weight) deer.

3 things needed for big deer (antlers)

Old age
    Food source
    Genetics

Most importantly, old age... you are never going to have mature whitetail bucks if you shoot them at 2 years old (this is where the redneck mentality comes in, brown and down)

Food sources, and genetics play a role, but not as big as most think...

St. Andrew's park in downtown Panama city beach is a great example... obviously no hunting is allowed.... deer die of old age. Genetics are the same pine goats we have all over NW florida... and, as for food, sea oats? Pine cones? Left over hotdogs from campers?

Yet there are still deer in the 130s-140s out there...

Let em grow and you'll see big deer.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The only things these deer have going for them is age... same crap genetics and garbage food as the rest of NW Florida.
    166ae7bb80b7f4fa397c9ff42d49f591.jpg
    65d15b9fe9556804cd6a2dc19d68695f.jpg
    e466fbcfc76434a3e35a17971558d098.jpg
    33ea8b7fa6399b11bf956b07f9954e4b.jpg

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IMO,the following are just a few of the "problems" that keep NW Fla from EVER having a huntable population of the bigger bodied and antlered deer.
    "Redneck" mentality. ---> Dog hunting. Shooting anything being chased by your dogs. Buck,doe,fawn,1.5 year old bucks,etc. Most hunters use buckshot at running deer. This alone produces many,MANY,wounded deer.
    Hunting clubs that will shoot anything Fla. legal. Hunting clubs that profess to be deer managers but will allow the younger shooters to shoot Fla. legal deer. Hunting clubs that allow bow hunters to wound deer after deer . . . year after year . . . without consequences. Hunting clubs that think it's "cute" to allow little 5,6,and 7 year old boys and girls to hunt with an illegal compound bow or to handle a crossbow. And/or to shoot paw-paw's turdie hought zix.
    Soil nutrients --> Down here we have red clay and white sand. Great for pines and yopon and not much else . . UNLESS . . you add more fertalizer and lime than most can afford. Even the hunting clubs plots are mostly fairless sparce. They will bring some deer,but nothing like the clubs in Iowa, Missouri, Michigan etc,etc, even Maine.
    Frorida's deer are what they are. If you (John) feel that one day we will have the above name states deer,IMO,your dreaming. Keep supporting QDMA. They do some good. BUT - -> I am sure they will finally convince NW Fla's hunters that they actually live in Missouri. --- SAWMAN

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I spent about a month in Missouri and Kentucky last year and I assure you there are no shortage of small bucks.... the difference is you can only shoot one buck a year... you're not going to waste your tag on a 3yr old basket rack... you're going to wait for a mature deer.

The liberal limits in Florida is a lot of the reason why we don't see decent bucks, (and a lot of the reasons you stated as well) and I'm just as guilty as anyone for taking advantage of them (I shoot 5-10 deer a year)

These new limits are a good start... there may not be a 130" behind every pine tree... but let me tell ya, contrary to what outdoor TV leads you to think, it's not like that in the midwest either.

Top Bottom