• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ewgannaway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Have you looked longingly at that shiny new (or used but new to you) treasure in the store gun case and come to the conclusion that it is just what you need to make your life complete....only to find out after its maiden voyage to the range that you can't seem to shoot it worth crap? Then, thinking it must be defective (because you can shoot your other toys well enough) ask your buddy to give it a go and watch as he repeatedly perforates the bullseye?

I had a Sig P320 that I just could not seem to shoot well. I sold it and bought a CZ 75 and never looked back. Just recently it happened again with a Kimber Micro 9. I couldn't group with it to save my life. Thinking I had lost my edge, I picked up my trusty CZ and reaffirmed that I actually do know how to shoot. Was it the gun? Nope! My buddy shot it and proceeded to knock the bull out of the target.

Last edited:

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We have a CZ-83 we bought new in 92, while in Germany. Everytime I shoot it, it looks like I used a shotgun on the target.

My wife, the first time she shot it and the first time she ever shot a gun, put all 13 rounds (12 in the mag, 1 in the pipe) all in a 1 1/2 inch grouping at 25 feet. That was in 1993, she still to this day shoots the bullseye out of a target with it.

We were at the range once, and the RSO thought he needed to give her and all the women pointers. When the line went hot, she did her magic and asked him if he had any pointers to help tighten her group up. He just looked at her target and walked away. One fellow male range patron said "The only way you're going to tighten that pattern ma'am, is to put the barrel against the target", then he said "Remind me not to p**s you off".

I on the other hand, have my rounds all over the place with it. Now my PT111 G2 I pretty damn good with, but me and the CZ-83 don't get along.

xenscott

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    HK P30, P30L. Felt like a million bucks, couldn’t shoot them at all. Had a P2000sk that had a crappier Trigger than both of those and it was a laser beam. Seemed like the more I practiced the worse I shot. I think the ergo were too comfortable. The didn’t seem to wedge in my hand.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    I've never shot one but I've owned four. Glock 19. I'm scared to shoot one. Doesn't fit my hand at all. I don't know if I could keep it pointed straight lol. Shot a 17, 20, 21, 22, 26, 27 fit well. Something about the length of the grip is just completely wrong for me

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Glock 43. No matter what I did, couldn’t get comfortable with the grip. I really wanted to like it, too. Maybe I need to try a 43X.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Glock 43. No matter what I did, couldn’t get comfortable with the grip. I really wanted to like it, too. Maybe I need to try a 43X.
    Same here... I added Taran tactical extended baseplates to my mags and it much better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Joebob2

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Had problems with a Glock 17. Couldn't hit the side of a barn with it, even from a rest at 15yds. I didn't keep that one long.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0

Springfield xds is similar. Something about the single stack doesn't feel right to me.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Animism: Some guns like you, others don't. But then you would need to believe the same about bullets too.
    Metaphysics and there is a conflict between your Aura and the firearms Aura.

On the serious side: It's not the handgun, just how you interface with it and that's where the sum of the parts drive your results. Ergonomics isn't specific enough.

GRIP: size, shape, angle, fit and comfort. Sights: radious, contrast, size, plain, "U" outline , dots, night, hi-vis. Bore axis and Balance. Does it point naturally or do you fight with it just to get close? Trigger: type action, "reach", curve-cresent-flat, wide, thin, smooth or ridged, "the Pull". Steel/alloy doesn't Flex polymers do: handgun materials=weight/mass with caliber affect recoil: sensitive? Same caliber can have a different percieved recoil: sharp or mild: it has bearing on your following shots.

OP: The Sig P320 and Kimber Micro Nine are vastly diffrent but if you really think about them, you may recall specific things that you didn't like on each one by fit, feel or function (including the bang but not the grouping). Conversely, what makes your CZ 75 so good in you hands?

All this aside, shooters are pretty adaptable and given enough time and practice can improve handling and accuracy.

ewgannaway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    OP: The Sig P320 and Kimber Micro Nine are vastly diffrent but if you really think about them, you may recall specific things that you didn't like on each one by fit, feel or function (including the bang but not the grouping). Conversely, what makes your CZ 75 so good in you hands?

All this aside, shooters are pretty adaptable and given enough time and practice can improve handling and accuracy.

You are correct, those two are vastly different which is why I decided to give the Kimber a try after my disappointing experience with the P320. It was the nightfall edition that came with the Hogue grips and Truglo TFX Pro sights from the factory. I really wanted to like it but I just could not group with it reliably at all. The last day I gave the Kimber a chance I had the opportunity to shoot a Taurus Spectrum. What really shocked me was that my first 30 rounds out of the Spectrum were better than any I had sent downrange from the Kimber. Given what I paid for the Kimber I really, really....REALLY wanted it to work out but the universe decided I would walk a different path.:Cry:

The CZ, on the other hand, felt like an extension of my hands. I have half-jokingly told others that I didn't know my hand had a g-spot until I put a CZ 75 in it. I have since expanded my CZ collection and none of them have disappointed me...even the polymer models! The only pistols to come close to the CZ hammer fired variants in my hands are the HK VP9SK, Canik TP9SFX, and Walther PPQ.

I agree that shooters are adaptable and can become better regardless of the tool they use. I have more fun with the ones that start off putting a smile on my face though.

Last edited:

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've always struggled with full size Glocks, I shoot left and my groups aren't tight. I can out shoot my G17 and G34 with my G26 anyday.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The list of pistols I don’t shoot well is long, and some what less than distinguished.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The list of pistols I don’t shoot well is long, and some what less than distinguished.

Well, at least 2 of us are in the same boat. To me a pistol is something you use till you can get to a rifle.

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a couple that fit the description.. a Beretta M9 and oddly enough a Walther Colt 1911-22. I'd also put my HK USP Compact close. I also find that if I really bear down, concentrate and practice enough, I will eventually shoot them better. Practically speaking though, I've accumulated enough pistols that I just don't shoot any one of them a whole lot. On the other end of the spectrum, I shoot my XD mod 2 compact 9mm extremely good for the short striker fired pistol it is...the trigger doesn't even seem particularly good either, but I shoot it just about as well as any gun......my best gun; a Ruger Mk II with target bbl...lightest trigger, crisp, no recoil...just pew pew pew followed by the sound of a gong, gong, gong

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think there is another "truth teller" as far as accuracy goes. We have what I'll call Match accuracy where you take you time, stage trigger appropriately and then the break when all is as perfect as we can get it. The other is Practical accuracy which is time/situation driven, point, aim, shoot without delay.

When we have a handgun that does both with great results: Nirvana. If you can't shoot the handgun with acceptable accuracy for it's intended use/purpose, that's a problem. Reminder: were talking about handguns that others shoot well but we don't, not a handgun that shoots poorly for everybody. It may be remedied by dedicated evaluation of dry fire, range time and several boxes of ammo. After that you keep or cull it.

There is also a weight or number you can individually assign by your priorities of handgun features you interface with. If you know your priorities, you can recognize trade-offs much clearer than generic broad complaint. These same identified priorites should be your shopping checklist too. For me its:
    1. Natural Pointability {grip, balance, extention of hand intersecting with eye(s)}. Feel it.
    2. Sights {speed of acquisition, ease of alignment, definition (glare/contrast, high-vis, night-dots-U}). See it.
    3. Trigger, all action types {Reach, Contact area, Break & Reset}, Basics but I give extra credit for good ones). Touch it.
    4. Preparatory controls {slide serrations, lever/button position & reach, Safety: on/of force: w/o changing your grip}. Ready it.
    * Tiny "GET OFF ME" BUGS get some slack due to intended use, CC usage handguns do not.

We normally get reliability & basic accuracy info from other sources, so those are not mentioned above as you probably wouldn't be considering the purchase without that info. For a lot of folks "it's all about the Trigger", but I think we must have the other things first and fast or pulling the trigger (good or bad) is slower (getting sight allignment on the target) or rushed (trying to stay on the target). Peoples priorities differ AND you can have it all when you look for it or modify it to your needs.

All IMHO, your mileage and experience may vary.

nobucks

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can't hit the broad side of a barn with my H&K USP 40. On the other hand, on target all day with the FNX 9 and my Para Ordnance 1911 . Go figure...

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can't hit the broad side of a barn with my H&K USP 40. On the other hand, on target all day with the FNX 9 and my Para Ordnance 1911 . Go figure...

I'm not poking at you, just taking the general "can't hit the broad side of a barn" in context. What is the true grouping you get with the USP .40? Could be paper plate size, 18 inches (+-) or what and at what distance? I don't disagree that folks shoot some guns better than others but how much difference exists?

Top Bottom