• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • garryj

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I went to the range this morning even though the temperature was going to be in the 90’s with the heat index reaching 103-111. I figured I could at least check my new Dan Wesson Vigil CCO for function if not accuracy, which is exactly what I wound up doing. At my age, heat is not your friend.

I set up an 8” steel plate and a few targets at 12 yards. I figured I would fire 100 rounds at the plate to loosen the DW up. The problem was that, with the heat and my age, I was worn out after 100 rounds and couldn't really do any conclusive accuracy tests. I do know that, for me, it shoots low at 12 yards. There were no malfunctions that I could attribute to the gun, but I did have one very peculiar magazine issue. I had four 7-round magazines and two 8-rounders. Two of the 7- rounders were the DW ones that came with the gun and two were Wilson Combats that I’ve had for years. The two 8-rounders are so old that I don’t know or ever knew who made them. All functioned flawlessly for the first two sets(a set being one firing of all full magazines or 44 rounds). On the third set, with one of the Wilson Combat magazines, the first round fired and the second—click!-nothing. Upon checking the gun, I noticed the magazine was not fully seated. Thinking this was human error, I re-seated the magazine and racked the slide and the magazine unseated itself. I tried this a few more times with the magazine and chamber empty with the same result. Every time the slide went into lockup, the magazine unseated and dropped about 1/2”. Needless to say this magazine is out of the rotation until I figure out why it is doing this.

Other than the magazine problem, there were no malfunctions in all 172 rounds I fired today. 150 were Winchester white box ball target and 22 were some old Federal Hydra-Shoks that I do not use since I switched to Federal HSTs. Next range trip, I will start with accuracy testing and post the results here.

Pictures here: https://www.gulfcoastgunforum.com/showthread.php?52818-Dan-Wesson-Vigil-CCO-1911

Garry

Max Flatus

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the write up. I’ve lusted after a cco for a while. The DW is one of the best, maybe THE best.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With the "bad" mag: Does it truely lock in? Watch the mag catch lock opposite the release. While inserting mag, does it raise then return to flush?
    Is there a Pad or floor plate issue preventing it from fully seating?
    Is the area around the mag catch hole depressed/dented?
    Remove Slide and gut bad mag. Watch insertion in frame at catch. Any obstruction to seating? Pull on mag: Positive lock? Repeat with assembled mag.
    Assemble 1911 and mag. Do these with slide locked open and closed in Battery
    Mag Empty, seat it. Without depressing mag release, can it be pulled out?
    Mag Loaded, seat it. Can it be pulled out?

I wouldn't tune the Mag release assy for an issue with 1 old mag. If the mag seats but can be pulled to overide the catch: I would gentĺy tweak the upper edge of the mag catch hole slightly outward: providing a better lip/edge to rest on top of the Catch.

garryj

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dan Wesson Vigil CCO Range Report 2

I went back to the range this morning to do some accuracy testing of my Dan Wesson Vigil CCO in .45ACP. The weather was much more cooperative at 75-81 degrees with the heat index only getting up to 87. The first 49 rounds on 4 targets were Winchester white box 230gr ball target loads. I then tried two of my own target reloads on the next 4 targets. All targets were placed at 12 yards.

1&2-top targets
    3&4-2nd targets
    5&6-3rd targets
    7&8-bottom targets

Targets 1, 3 and 4 are 14 rounds of WWB 230gr ball target loads
    Target 2 is 7 rounds of WWB 230gr ball target loads
    Targets 5 and 6 are 7 rounds each of 230gr Berry’s plated with 5.0gr of American Select
    Targets 7 and 8 are also 7 rounds each of 230gr Berry’s plated with 5.2gr of W231

The dropped rounds on targets 1 and 3 are on me-once because my rest became unstable and once because I flinched as the guy next to me lit off his 7mm Remington Magnum hunting rifle just as I was firing.
    I am very pleased with the way this gun shoots. I shoots very close to POA, maybe slightly low. So far, with only about 250 flawless rounds through it, I’m predicting this one is a keeper. I need to shoot at least 250 more to be sure.

Garry

Attachments

• DWV1L.JPG
      DWV1L.JPG
      40.6 KB · Views: 188
    • DWV1R.JPG
      DWV1R.JPG
      39.1 KB · Views: 192
    • target1.JPG
      target1.JPG
      21.9 KB · Views: 186
    • target2.JPG