• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Forester says gauges are precision ground to + -.00015. If the gauge was long by +.00015, thats 1/26 of an average human hair (.004). Can't see that turning into a .25 (1/4) headspace error. Wrong marking/bin: okay. Let Forester sort that out, get a refund.
    Perhaps the 1/4 inch is referring to the bolt carrier closing since it is a camming mechanism that magnifies a failure of the bolt to rotated to the fully closed position. Also if the the gauge is out of spec the + error is likely greater than 0.00015. Maybe it is really a field or no go gauge and was mislabeled.

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Perhaps the 1/4 inch is referring to the bolt carrier closing since it is a camming mechanism that magnifies a failure of the bolt to rotated to the fully closed position. Also if the the gauge is out of spec the + error is likely greater than 0.00015. Maybe it is really a field or no go gauge and was mislabeled.
    Yes the 1/4 is referring to the BCG being flush with the back of the upper.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I got the barrel back yesterday with a signed letter that basically says it is good to go. Forster wants me to send the gauges back to them so they re-check them. I had been emailing Forster's technical department, and one of the owners actually got in on the email. He sent me a postage label and asked if I would send them in, so they could get to the root of the problem. I mailed them today.

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Don't shoot your fingers off...does the go no go gauge work now? I would try it
    No the GO gauge still doesn't work. I ordered a different brand gauge, but haven't gotten it yet. I will wait until I try the one from the different company, or hear from Forster that theirs was wrong.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes it would always chamber ammo.

I would go ahead and shoot it and carefully inspect the fired cases. At worst you have a minimum chamber and it should not be dangerous with factory loads that freely chamber in it.
    It has been back to manufacturer and they have given their ok.

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    For those who have been keeping up with this post it is close to the end. Forster should receive my gauges back on Monday to recheck them. Today I received the other set of gauges I purchased. They are from Pacific Tool and Gauge. Their Go gauge chambered with no problem, and the NoGo and Field did not chamber. I am anxious to see what Forster will say when they check their gauges.

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I haven't heard back from Forster yet, but I did get to the range this morning and fired 20 rounds of target ammo. No failures of any kind, but all casings had this flattening on the top. After I left I started thinking about it, and I am not sure if all the casing were hitting the wooden wall beside me before they hit the ground. It could have been the wall, or the gun.
    3ee2ac9ba3a3e543ea55b6bb1e164272.jpg

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I haven't heard back from Forster yet, but I did get to the range this morning and fired 20 rounds of target ammo. No failures of any kind, but all casings had this flattening on the top. After I left I started thinking about it, and I am not sure if all the casing were hitting the wooden wall beside me before they hit the ground. It could have been the wall, or the gun.
    3ee2ac9ba3a3e543ea55b6bb1e164272.jpg

From the gun at what o'clock are they ejecting. You can regulate 12 to 3 o'clock ejection by increasing buffer wt or venting some the gas off. 4:30 to 6 by lighting buffer wt if applicable or having a larger gas flow likely from opening up the gas port.
    ARejectionpattern.jpg

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Are there any "brass" contact marks to the rear of ejection port or on case deflector if equipped? All my Sig fired cases have case mouth/neck flattening to some degree. You can add a square of self adhesive velcro (soft side) to the contact area. Its not an uncommon issue. Reloaders don't like it, a lot of non reloaders aren't concerned about it.

Aggressive extraction is over an gassed system verse buffer weight and buffer spring tension. If its not "battering", its not critical IMHO. Before I'd play with parts, I'd check cycling with low velicoty sub-sonic load. There is a wide gas pressure range between Subs and full power loads with the 300AAC BO. In order to cycle both, the flattened necks could just be the cost of doing business.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    i know if I shoot hyper in my BO (pistol length) you will find the brass 20' or so away @ 2-3:00...subs 6-8' @ 3-4:30

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I guess I have a few things to look at next time I get a chance. This is a Pistol setup with a Pistol gas system.
    - Federal American Eagle Target ammo
    - 9.5" barrel
    - Pistol Buffer Spring/Carbine
    - Standard Carbine Buffer
    - Griffin SNACH 15 Charging handle
    - Toolcraft Nickel Boron (AR15/M16) BCG

Last edited:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IIRC mine is carbine spring and buffer 10.5"...on the edge of wanting to change it to rifle

Top Bottom