• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I know what the forward assist does, but I just don't understand how the reference had anything to do with checking headspace.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm sorry, I really should have stayed out of this conversation. Looking forward to your report, after your tool arrives. Good luck.

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I'm sorry, I really should have stayed out of this conversation. Looking forward to your report, after your tool arrives. Good luck.
    There is no reason for you not to be in this conversation. I wasn't trying to be rude. I understand what a forward assist does, but was just confused with your post. I appreciate all responses including yours.
    Hopefully I can report later this evening.

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I took out the Extractor and Ejector, but it still will not close on the GO gauge. I sent updated info to the manufacturer. Waiting on their response.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wonder if you will get the same deflection as was posted on the other Site, the one I disected as two bad answers. The third wrong answer is they use gauges from a different Mfg. Who's gauges and what is the "actual length"? Being yours are New measuring(?).

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I wonder if you will get the same deflection as was posted on the other Site, the one I disected as two bad answers. The third wrong answer is they use gauges from a different Mfg. Who's gauges and what is the "actual length"? Being yours are New measuring(?).

Okay -earlier in the thread, you said something along the lines of "it may work with that ammo, but what about other ammo"? Why doesn't the same hold true for gauges?

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Check you barrel extension and make sure you dont have a burr or machining defect on the inside of the extension causing the bolt to not seat. Also check you bolt lugs for the same. Ive had extensions in the past that had such sharp burr like edges from the quick machining process that I had to file/smooth them bad edges down. Maybe the tooling wasnt sharp.

25guszsAR Barrel extension.jpg

Attachments

• 25guszsAR Barrel extension.jpg
      25guszsAR Barrel extension.jpg
      116.7 KB · Views: 275

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Okay -earlier in the thread, you said something along the lines of "it may work with that ammo, but what about other ammo"? Why doesn't the same hold true for gauges?

SAAMI Cartridge Specs on some dimensions have Minimum and Maximum measurements sometimeswritten on the same index line while othes are in the Keys like "Unless otherwise noted all Dia +.002 "which means they can deviate Larger or -.005 deviate Smaller. Cartridge manufactures build them leaning towards the Minimum Spec so the cartridges fit chambers from a wide range of manufactures. As Tooling wears the cartridges "grow" slightly until QA takes them out of service. So there is size variables by Mfr and within a Mfr line of production over time. When there is a Tight/Short Chamber condition: a In Spec but "small" cartridge my fit but a bigger still In Spec cartridge will not.

Gauges are made to a single Spec (no + or -). That's why there is a Go (1.0789), No-Go (1.0889) and Field gauges. In OPs case, the SAAMI Spec MINIMUM Chamber length GO gauge will not allow the bolt to close with light finger pressure on the bolt. NOTE: SAAMI Specs also contain Specs for Gauges, page 214 Lists 300AAC BO but there is no data. Its a relatively new cartridge and similar data is missing from new and old cartridges.

The conflict arises when chambers are below minimum size and cartridges are larger (in Spec won't chamber) and others are small (below Spec) enough to fit. OPs GO gauge is Failed Headspace but a "smaller" cartridge fit but that isn't Headspace. It is still a "Chamber" issue but cartridge mfg variations may allow some to chamber and other not, depending on how Tight/short the chamber is.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    SAAMI Cartridge Specs on some dimensions have Minimum and Maximum measurements sometimeswritten on the same index line while othes are in the Keys like "Unless otherwise noted all Dia +.002 "which means they can deviate Larger or -.005 deviate Smaller. Cartridge manufactures build them leaning towards the Minimum Spec so the cartridges fit chambers from a wide range of manufactures. As Tooling wears the cartridges "grow" slightly until QA takes them out of service. So there is size variables by Mfr and within a Mfr line of production over time. When there is a Tight/Short Chamber condition: a In Spec but "small" cartridge my fit but a bigger still In Spec cartridge will not.

Gauges are made to a single Spec (no + or -). That's why there is a Go (1.0789), No-Go (1.0889) and Field gauges. In OPs case, the SAAMI Spec MINIMUM Chamber length GO gauge will not allow the bolt to close with light finger pressure on the bolt. NOTE: SAAMI Specs also contain Specs for Gauges, page 214 Lists 300AAC BO but there is no data. Its a relatively new cartridge and similar data is missing from new and old cartridges.

The conflict arises when chambers are below minimum size and cartridges are larger (in Spec won't chamber) and others are small (below Spec) enough to fit. OPs GO gauge is Failed Headspace but a "smaller" cartridge fit but that isn't Headspace. It is still a "Chamber" issue but cartridge mfg variations may allow some to chamber and other not, depending on how Tight/short the chamber is.
    As was mentioned it is possible to reload ammunition for a chamber that is shorter than saami spec by adjusting how far the cartridge case is thrust into the resizing die. If one had to one could even shorten the sizing die. It is better to have the chamber correctly set up than to start producing undersized ammunition.
    I once fired a few test rounds in a barrel that needed a pass from a finish chamber reamer to complete the cutting of the chamber. I used an odd die that I had to push the shoulder back on a factory load round. It worked, but not really something one should make a practice of doing. The action was a mauser with a military chambering.

Then of course there is nato spec 5.56 and 7.62x51 vs .223 and .308 Winchester. same basic round but different spec.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Thanks - OP is at the stage with his build, that someone like me gets a bore mop bigger than the chamber, applies a mess of Flitz, hooks it to the electric drill somehow, and polishes until whatever I'm trying to fit in there, fits good enough to get a pile of brass for that chamber. I see what you mean about choosing to view this a technical, or non technical.

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    This is the response I got from the manufacturer of the barrel. I am going to send it to them tomorrow.

"It's possible, that the gauge is off. I just had a custom run into the same issue with the Forster Go Gague. We measured his gauge and it was closer to the No Go than a Go. If you would like to send in the barrel, we can double-check the headspace."

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is the response I got from the manufacturer of the barrel. I am going to send it to them tomorrow.

"It's possible, that the gauge is off. I just had a custom run into the same issue with the Forster Go Gague. We measured his gauge and it was closer to the No Go than a Go. If you would like to send in the barrel, we can double-check the headspace."

Hmmm. Shifting responsibility: barrel probably good and your new gauges "could" be wrong? I mentioned measuring the gauge a couple pages back in order to eliminate that possibility. Keep moving forward, I concur with sending the "Go" gauge and list it in the Letter accompanying the Upper, Bolt & Carrier. The goal remains the same. Hope it works out well.

I'd put a small mark on each piece, see what comes back. You may not get a very detailed findings or corrective action report.

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Hmmm. Shifting responsibility: barrel probably good and your new gauges "could" be wrong? I mentioned measuring the gauge a couple pages back in order to eliminate that possibility. Keep moving forward, I concur with sending the "Go" gauge and list it in the Letter accompanying the Upper, Bolt & Carrier. The goal remains the same. Hope it works out well.

I'd put a small mark on each piece, see what comes back. You may not get a very detailed findings or corrective action report.
    I remember you mentioned measuring it, but I don't have anything accurate enough to do it. Hopefully they will confirm it for me.

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Just little bit of info while I wait on the manufacturer to check out my barrel. I contacted Forsters to let them know what problem I was having getting their gauge to go into battery. They told me I should be using the Forward Assist to test the gauge. I told them I was under the understanding that I needed to be gentle with the gauge. Their response was using the Forward Assist is not the same as slamming the bolt. They of course think it is a problem with the barrel or BCG. I told them it will chamber a live round, but with the gauge the bolt sticks out like a 1/4 inch.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Use Fwd Assist. Lol. Bet you won't find that in the instructions, but you will find: Gently close the bolt on the GO gauge. Never force a bolt closed on a gauge. A rifle with a correct chamber should close easily and without "feel" on the GO gauge. Using the FWd Asst. infers using force to overcome resistance. Very contradictory.

Back to wait and see.

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    a 1/4" is a long way!
    I agree. I am not sure what the deal is. I know it will easily chamber a live round by hand with the Extractor and Ejector still installed. I did remove the Firing Pin for safety.

Last edited:

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Update:

The barrel manufacturer call me back today to give me the status. He said that my Forster GO gauge was out of spec. He said they checked it with some kind of digital optical measuring device. I can't remember what he said exactly. He said they tested the barrel with their gauges and two different bolts, and they all worked fine. He said none of their bolts would work with my gauge.

I contacted Forster to see if they will replace my gauges, but haven't heard back yet. I did purchase the set of off Amazon, so they are going back one way or another.

Any suggestions on a different brand of gauges?

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Update:

The barrel manufacturer call me back today to give me the status. He said that my Forster GO gauge was out of spec. He said they checked it with some kind of digital optical measuring device. I can remember what he said exactly. He said they tested the barrel with their gauges and two different bolts, and they all worked fine. He said none of their bolts would work with my gauge.

I contacted Forster to see if they will replace my gauges, but haven't heard back yet. I did purchase the set of off Amazon, so they are going back one way or another.

Any suggestions on a different brand of gauges?

If you get the gauge back, can see if it will chamber in other rifles of that chambering?

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Forester says gauges are precision ground to + -.00015. If the gauge was long by +.00015, thats 1/26 of an average human hair (.004). Can't see that turning into a .25 (1/4) headspace error. Wrong marking/bin: okay. Let Forester sort that out, get a refund.

Top Bottom