• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have a list of names and bio's of people in the witness protection program. --- SAWMAN

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Buy bigger than you think you'll need... I have a 48 gun fatboy jr and I am now looking at needing another by next year... they realistic hold 1/2 of advertised load if you have scoped long guns...

As far as ammo in the safe... if it gets hot enough to cook off loose rounds, everything in there is fucked anyways. Even in a safe I still have a separate insurance policy for my firearms (as well as the wife's jewelry in the safe).... a few thousand rounds sitting in the bottom makes an already heavy safe, that much heavier.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

darellruda21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    lol man you guys are hilarious. I told my wife that today and she just gave me this look. LOL i'll probably butter it up before moving all of our important documents in that safe.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Also . . . I some cases your safe may get you a reduction on your insurance premiums and/or your taxes. --- SAWMAN

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Unless that house is burnin down: there is ZERO chance ammo is going to "Cook-Off" in a Safe.

I keep about 250 rds of .45ACP and 500+ 9mm behind the seat in my truck...it seems to go bang everytime I pull some out and fire it.

I also have a little experience with fire damage in safes. Here is one.
    IMG_1815.jpg
    IMG_1820.jpg
    IMG_1818.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1815.jpg
      IMG_1815.jpg
      79.5 KB · Views: 168
    • IMG_1820.jpg
      IMG_1820.jpg
      57.6 KB · Views: 156
    • IMG_1818.jpg
      IMG_1818.jpg
      79.1 KB · Views: 168

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don’t think that’s going to buff out. That had to have been a hot fire with a long burn time.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    1) Did that safe have a fire-rating?
    2) Did your mechanical lock still work? (Seems like you didn't have to cut open the sides of the safe)

Kinda makes another argument for all-steel weapons vs plastic or even aluminum. Though, I'm not sure what the temps of a fire might do to the steel as far as strength, warping, etc.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    the house was rural and a total loss. This may have been 3rd generation in the family farm house IIRC

1) Did that safe have a fire-rating?

don't remember...there was also another fire box on the top shelf and the bonds inside were intact

2) Did your mechanical lock still work? (Seems like you didn't have to cut open the sides of the safe)

the dial and handle had melted, I was able to install an emergency dial, dial it open on the first attempt, and turn the handle spindle with vise grips.

Garyf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    had a buddies kitchen catch on fire. The fire department went through the garage saw the gun safe they hacked a hole in it filled it with water! I have two gun safes with “NO AMMO INSIDE!” With big white letters across the top on both of them a third safe with “AMMO” on it. haven't tested it with a fire in the house yet but i would hate to have my gun safes filled with water and what ever else is in there!

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    had a buddies kitchen catch on fire. The fire department went through the garage saw the gun safe they hacked a hole in it filled it with water! I have two gun safes with “NO AMMO INSIDE!” With big white letters across the top on both of them a third safe with “AMMO” on it. haven't tested it with a fire in the house yet but i would hate to have my gun safes filled with water and what ever else is in there!
    That's ridiculous. Must have been volunteer FD...

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You can provide a Fire Hazard Plan to your Fire Dept. Basically: normal occupancy: 2 adults 1 child, a floor plan including Home, Street (rear Street also if there is access), and out buildings. Separate Floor Plan for each Level with type rooms, hallways, doors and storage closets/spaces. Identify Main Water Shutoff, External Power Boxes, connected generator, Natural/LP Gas Tank & Shut off, Hazardous Storage: fuel/chem/material (type: unlead, diesel, LP Bottles, fertilizer, ammo), bed rooms with occupancy (two adults, one child DOB 2017: include closets and crawl spaces were children may hide). Add notes for unique features (Loft with ladder only access, hidden doors. If it's important enough to consider, it's important enough to add.

There are Fire decals for windows that note "Child" but some see that as predator advertisement.

Call your servicing Fire Dept and find out if they accept and use Residential Fire Plans. You could also provide a Copy to a trusted close neighbor .

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    i would hate to have my gun safes filled with water and what ever else is in there!

it is going to get water, steam, and smoke in it if it is in a fire. The one I posted isn't the only one like this I have had the pleasure of entering. If the safe you purchased doesn't have a fire seal on the door it will be worse off inside than if it did. Even then the seal has to heat up enough to melt. Not many tell you they are flood resistant...look for it. The door has play in it so if it expands in a fire you may still be able to get it open.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I hope I don’t ever have to deal with a house fire. Storm damage was hard enough , I could salvage some things after the storm passed . A house fire can’t leave much of anything.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    had a buddies kitchen catch on fire. The fire department went through the garage saw the gun safe they hacked a hole in it filled it with water!

That sounds ridiculous. LOL

I would like to see them try that on my Fort Knox safe. LOL Double deluxe package and stainless steel liner. You can try to torch a hole that will take a very long time and then you get to the liner that will dissipate the heat and even slow you down even more... Good luck :) but this safe is not cheap and it weights over 1800lb empty.

I will replace the other two later and I will by nothing but Fort Knox. I like them also because you can custom design it how you want.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Flood: I put silicone sealer around anchor bolts and sealed other mount & A/C ports. If I'm planning to bugout for a hurricane: I'll run a bead of silicone in the door seam (internal hinges). Great barrier but easy to remove.

Last edited:

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's ridiculous. Must have been volunteer FD...

Nah, that's Career Guys kind of dippery...and there are
    several in ECFD that are capable of that level of anti-gun idiocy.
    The sad thing is how many Career guys started out as Volly's,
    then turned into utter liberal bungholes as soon as they got hired on...
    which is why ECFD is screaming for Volly recruitment now,
    but can barely find any because they ran off the old guard.
    I better stop before this turns into a full on rant...

That being said, both types are liable to do anything for a laugh...
    tumblr_inline_o2ta0ipFEi1s6r07r_540.jpg

Attachments

• tumblr_inline_o2ta0ipFEi1s6r07r_540.jpg
      tumblr_inline_o2ta0ipFEi1s6r07r_540.jpg
      29.4 KB · Views: 90
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom