• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The local TV Media is having a great time talking about Invest 92L that may get a name as a tropical system tonight or tomorrow when it finally gets an eye and better organization. Seems early in the season and hopefully it seems to be passing us by, but people to the west of us will get at the very least from this slow moving system a lot of rain.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    I was off-shore fishing this past Fri. Water temp 12 miles off-shore was 87 degrees. Plenty of fuel for a tropical system.

Sure gonna mess up "Blues" week-end!

Oh didn't think about that! I'm flying out for vacation. Hope it doesn't hinder my plans.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Looks like I may get an "all inclusive, paid vaca" out of this...or as other would call it, a storm trip

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can do without this, we are still having repairs done from Hurricane Michael and will be for some time it seems. One house across the street is getting gutted starting today. Our next door neighbors house is gutted and has been since May and is forecasted to have repairs completed in December maybe. The house nextdoor to them hasn't had any work started yet, and are still dealing with temporary repairs and tarps.

Last edited:

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    New Orleans had roughly 8" of rain in a 3 hour period that caused street flooding as the rain just came down too fast for it to drain out. New Orleans is a precarious position right now, the mighty Mississippi has been in flood stage for a long time and currently sits at just 3-4 feet below the levee in New Orleans, it wouldn't take much of a storm surge or additional tropical rains to push the Mississippi over the levee! Check out this blog on it from Weather underground, goes into detail about the current problem.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/N...ng-Mississippi-River-Flood?cm_ven=cat6-widget

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    New Orleans had roughly 8" of rain in a 3 hour period that caused street flooding as the rain just came down too fast for it to drain out. New Orleans is a precarious position right now, the mighty Mississippi has been in flood stage for a long time and currently sits at just 3-4 feet below the levee in New Orleans, it wouldn't take much of a storm surge or additional tropical rains to push the Mississippi over the levee! Check out this blog on it from Weather underground, goes into detail about the current problem.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/N...ng-Mississippi-River-Flood?cm_ven=cat6-widget

To add an important fact water does not drain out of new orleans. Without a single drop of rain and if the pumps shut off, new orleans fills with water. But 8 inches of rain is a lot and the news is saying the river is up requiring the opening of at least one spillway. The Bonnet Carré Spillway was opened to lower the pressure of the river on the levees and I assume that lake Pontchartrain is also high. High river and high lake means faster infiltration of water into the city and along with the rain, maybe that explains the flood.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Good site you posted there Viking. As of 7AM this morning the MR was at 16.16 feet on the NO gauge with flood stage at 17 feet. A quick spike is forecast for the 13th of July for 20 feet on the gauge with a quick drop back to around where it is now.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good site you posted there Viking. As of 7AM this morning the MR was at 16.16 feet on the NO gauge with flood stage at 17 feet. A quick spike is forecast for the 13th of July for 20 feet on the gauge with a quick drop back to around where it is now.

When the water gets that high there has to be a constant watch on the River Levee. Sometimes currents will undermine it. Perhaps over the years it has been hardened to the point that can not happen. when I lived there many years ago in the early 70's there was a small breech that was quickly dealt with. There is another spill further upriver that sends water into the Atchafalaya River drainage. but I assume that river system is also now filled. There is also another spillway IIRC correctly below new orleans. All of these are designed lower the level of the MS River.

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    To add an important fact water does not drain out of new orleans. Without a single drop of rain and if the pumps shut off, new orleans fills with water. But 8 inches of rain is a lot and the news is saying the river is up requiring the opening of at least one spillway. The Bonnet Carré Spillway was opened to lower the pressure of the river on the levees and I assume that lake Pontchartrain is also high. High river and high lake means faster infiltration of water into the city and along with the rain, maybe that explains the flood.

So if the power goes out, the city floods. I will not be moving to that city anytime soon. Maintaining a home his hard enough without having to fight gravity and Mother Nature.

bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Why are the taxpayers on the hook to rebuild these people who return to this area after one of these disasters? Stupid decisions should have painful consequences.

Top Bottom