• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TrintCole

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Opinions wanted for deal gone wrong

A buyer agreed on a price for a pistol i was selling. Told me he was law enforcement repeatedly in several messages. Then said he wanted a pistol i had in another listing. We agreed on a price for it. Then he asked if i would trade a third pistol I’m selling.

The deal is set up, he wanted to meet at an interstate exit halfway between us. Problem is there is no store or anything at that exit. I offer to drive to an exit closer to him and meet at a zaxbys. I drive 40 minutes to meet this guy.

I sent him a pic of my ccw and asked for his. He sent it and told me for the 4th time he’s law enforcement.

He asks what my car is so he can park next to me. I tell him. He says he has his wife and daughter with him. That’s ok, i brought my brother. He texts he's here. I said come inside so we can meet exchange info and do the bill of sale. He said he can’t because his wife and kids are with him. I said leave the car running and come inside. He said if he does , he’ll have to buy his daughter chicken and his wife wants to go somewhere else. I tell him to go somewhere else then. He leaves. Truck has Alabama plates and his ccw was Florida.

From the time he arrives until the time he leaves 10 minutes total.

Did i almost get robbed?

Why would this guy not come into the restaurant?

There were multiple people in the car with him.

I can’t think of any logical reason to not come into a safe public place with cameras.

TrintCole

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The ffl i use said to only sell to people with ccw. To get a picture of their ccw and info on the bill of sale. The fact he has mine now has me concerned. This is the first time I’ve tried to sell a firearm. I was a bit nervous as it is, that’s why I was trying to make the deal as safe as possible for both of us. The dude wouldn’t come in the restaurant and I wasn’t going outside with him refusing to come in.

I researched the guy and he has sold stuff on here and has been a member since march 2018.

TrintCole

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have already contacted the sheriff. Sent all the info I have on him to them. He may just have a pic of someone else’s ccw. May use mine to try something on someone else

TrintCole

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I hope I’m wrong about this guy. I hope for whatever reason he was sketched out by me and he isn’t a bad guy. I’m thinking if i sell anything I’ll just go through gun broker. I don’t even like selling stuff on craigslist.

This guy has other sales and purchases. I researched that. I don’t, so maybe he is thinking i was going to rob him. Although it still doesn't make sense for him to not be willing to come into the restaurant.

TrintCole

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Make a feedback thread. Give him his opportunity to explain. Maybe others have dealt with him and could chime in. And the rest of us can be aware.

Meanwhile, I'd follow up with the sheriff to make sure it all adds up.

Ok I’ll do that now.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    I would never send a picture of my license or permit. So many things can go wrong and may in the future. Hopefully it's nothing. We're you carrying at the time?

TrintCole

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    He agreed on a price for a pistol i was selling. Told me he was law enforcement repeatedly in several messages. Then said he wanted a pistol i had in another listing. We agreed on a price for it. Then he asked if i would trade a third pistol I’m selling. I wasn’t interested in the trade.

The deal is set up, he wanted to meet at an interstate exit halfway between us. Problem is there is no store or anything at that exit. I offer to drive to an exit closer to him and meet at a zaxbys. I drive 40 minutes to meet this guy.

I sent him a pic of my ccw and asked for his. He sent it and told me again he’s law enforcement.

He asks what my car is so he can park next to me. I tell him. He says he has his wife and daughter with him. That’s ok, i brought my brother. He texts he's here. I said come inside so we can meet exchange info and do the bill of sale. He said he can’t because his wife and daughter are with him. I said leave the car running and come inside. He said if he does , he’ll have to buy his daughter chicken and his wife wants to go somewhere else. I tell him to go somewhere else then. He leaves. Truck has Alabama plates and his ccw was Florida.

From the time he arrives until the time he leaves 10 minutes total. Pretty nerve racking sitting inside and he won’t come in. Maybe I’m paranoid. I’ve never sold a firearm and even selling stuff on craiglist makes me nervous.

Why would this guy not come into the restaurant?

There were multiple people in the car with him.

I can’t think of any logical reason to not come into a safe public place with cameras to meet and chat before the deal.

I was just trying to make a safe place for us to both feel safe.

Anyone dealt with him?

Is he a good guy?

TrintCole

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would never send a picture of my license or permit. So many things can go wrong and may in the future. Hopefully it's nothing. We're you carrying at the time?

Absolutely, but I don’t want to use it if I can avoid it.

hunter01

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Several people on here have done deals with me you are a perfect example of why there should be a minimum amount of post before you can sell anything. And no my vehicle has Florida plates have lived here my whole life. No one in there wright mind will do a bill of sale and sign it before they see what they are buying as you was wanting me to do. And yes it did look as a set up I was with my family being wife and kid, you was with supposedly your brother.

hunter01

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Yes the deal did seem fishy, I've been on this sight for over a year. I have never been asked to enter a building where a guy I was meeting and his brother were waiting to sign a bill of sale before I see what I'm buying. That's unheard of, I have no problem signing one as I have several times in the past. I just sold ammo today and made a deal to hold an ar upper for a couple days for a member. And my plates are not Alabama I've lived in Florida my whole life.

TrintCole

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You not being willing to come inside and meet before walking outside to show you the guns is fishy indeed. For roughly ten minutes you sat in the car. Yes my brother was with me. The fact i was wanting to meet with you inside a public place should indicate that i was trying to be safe. If you are law enforcement, you should have no issue walking in to meet me face to face.

Would i rob you inside the zaxby restaurant? Not a chance. There are cameras in there and witnesses all over the place.

It makes no sense why you wouldn’t come in and wanted me to come out there where there is multiple people inside a truck, parked beside my car, at the edge of the parking lot.

hunter01

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I'm not going to argue the facts, yes indeed I am law enforcement have been for 15 years. You are a perfect example of why you should be required a certain amount of post before you can sell anything. You indeed wanted me to sign a bill of sale before viewing anything I was buying. That can be legally binding and no one would do that. I was with my wife and daughter yeah that's real fishy.

TrintCole

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So you go to what you think could be a sketchy situation and bring your wife and kid. That’s genius.

Meeting inside a public place is safer for both parties. Cameras, witnesses everywhere. As far as a bill of sale , i had my half filled out. I wanted to meet for a second, shake hands, chat a second, then go outside and show you the guns. What’s sketchy about that?

You wanted me to walk outside to the edge of the parking lot having never met you. Your truck beside my car with several people inside. I can’t tell if that’s your wife and daughter. Nothing sounds sketchy about that.

I think anyone with half an operable brain cell would know which is the safer way to do things. I don’t doubt that you may be a good guy and had good dealings with others.

So you tell me and everyone, how was you walking inside a public place unsafe for you? I’d like to know.

Last edited:

hunter01

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I'm not going to argue with immaturity, I thought nothing of it till I was asked to come in and sign a bill of sale before seeing what I was buying. I've said my piece so I'm done with this posting. I have enough maturity and respect for myself to let something go.

TrintCole

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In hindsight we should’ve actually talked and not texted. Perhaps this would’ve gone more smooth. I had no intention of trying to get you to sign a bill of sale. You could’ve come in and said I’ll sign the bill of sale when i see the guns. That would’ve been fine. I wouldn’t have objected to that. The fact I had bill of sale made out should have put you more at ease. But you think a bill of sale is sketchy.

Refusing to come in seems sketchy. Sitting inside your truck with other people seems sketchy.

Wanting to meet in a public place first with cameras and witnesses doesn’t.

I guess if i had posted more, I’d be more willing to walk outside to a truck full of people I don’t know. I guess that makes sense.

Perhaps this is all my mistake.

TrintCole

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’m immature. .

Nice way to not answer my last question.

You could’ve come in, met me, and said I’ll sign the bill of sale after i see the guns. The we would have both been at ease and comfortable. Who could object to that. The fact i wanted to meet in a safe secure place indicates who is more mature.

Funny, you never mentioned anything regarding the bill of sale. Your reason for not wanting to come in was because you'd be stuck eating there because of your daughter.

I can post a pic of the messages. Your reasons for not wanting to come in are strange to say the least.

I’ve said my piece.

Last edited:

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Threads merged, we don't need two threads with you two pointing fingers over who is more weird.

Just my two centavos, better communication could have fixed this.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Zaxbys chicken sucks....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom