• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've noticed that in my travels I see some bowling lanes that have closed down, looks like the one here in Crestview has. Have people stopped bowling as much? I can remember bowling leagues and all kinds of tournaments on TV but I see none of that anymore. Any people here still bowl? I tried it a few times and was not good enough at it to make me want to bowl regularly. Thanks up front for any answers.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    There's at least one bowling alley in Fort Walton Beach. I know they have weekly bowling league games.
    A local idiot-in-law wastes oxygen there once a week.

Fishinspot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ft Walton bowling alley is closing. My son bowls there often and he’s been told they will be closing. Looks like the only one left close by is Destin and not a big fan of that one.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Avalon shut down years ago. Old Felton lanes in Pensacola the same. I'm not good at all but it's fun to enjoy with a group.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    As a kid,growing up here in P'cola,I was a bowler. I belonged to two different leagues. One at the bowling ally close to downtown on Palafox. I believe that the name was Fast Lanes. The other was Liberty Lanes on Palafox close to Fairfield Dr.
    In the AJBC I held an average of 166-172. And bowled as much as I could. I found that it was a great way to meet girls.
    Later on in the military I gave it another try when I was promised that I would be in CONUS. I was,but all over, so being a member of a league was impossible and I gave it up.
    Most of the bowling ally's in P'cola have disappeared. The ones that I remember were Liberty,Fast Lanes,Echo Lanes,Felton,and there were a couple others.
    Bowling was bigger in the past than it is now. Now there is Cordova Lanes,Deluna Lanes,and possibly one more. The two mentioned turn out some great bowlers. Quite a few that have turned pro or still maintain a >190 average. There have been quite a few 300 games bowled during sanctioned league play. I was lucky enough to witness one at Deluna in 2009.
    I would love to join a "old farts" league but unfortunately my shoulder would not allow it. --- SAWMAN and

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Liberty is still there I believe, maybe under a different name. You also have Oops Alley in Pace off of 90

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Used to be a place to go hangout with friends as we grew up! Kids don't socialize in person anymore! So those places dry up! You can talk about older folks and bowling leagues all you want. But it was the kids that kept places like this open. I grew up going to the bowling alley and skating rinks and things of that nature to hang out with friends growing up! Kids don't do that anymore.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey guys, I appreciate the answers. Did a little googling and that really told the tale. What bothers me is that a major sport has considerably less participation and I never even noticed till recently. It's making me wonder what else is leaving or on it's way out and I haven't noticed it yet. They always told me when I was a kid "you never miss something till it's gone".

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Used to be a place to go hangout with friends as we grew up! Kids don't socialize in person anymore! So those places dry up! You can talk about older folks and bowling leagues all you want. But it was the kids that kept places like this open. I grew up going to the bowling alley and skating rinks and things of that nature to hang out with friends growing up! Kids don't do that anymore.

you're right about the lack of socializing anymore. Even as adults we tend to stay to ourselves and do our own thing. I'm always enthusiastic about people with shared interests but with people with different interests not so much. When I started this thread I was just wondering what happened to Bowling but it has got me to thinking that there are more things going on out there that aren't good.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    TP . . . your post #8 is right on. In my younger years (5th,6th,7th,8th grades) it was the place to be to eat a burger,drink a soda and socialize. Most of my league play would end before noon but would tell my parents not to come pick me up for another couple of hours.
    At Liberty there was a place in the locker room (remember those small little lockers where you could keep you ball bag) just around a corner in back,you could take a girl to for a quick smooch. --- SAWMAN

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    HM demolished the Alley the one Alley iI knew of in Panama City. Rocket Lanes in PCB is upscale, stays pretty busy, has a BAR, normal crap food, Pool Hall, very large arcade and roller rink. I think these activities cross feed useage. Family tourist money is primary and rainy days they make a killing. The Crew I run with bowls 1-2 times a year just for somthing different to do. More for laughs than scores.

Bowling alleys boomed before everyone had TVs, like movie theaters in small towns when: entertainment options were few. Changes in personal technology has evolved to the point people can work, socialize, shop and find entertainment on the Web.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When my boys were younger, one of them bowled in a league at Crestview. We watched it go downhill in the time he participated, until he decide he'd had enough. No surprise it closed.

We still bowl now and then as a family, although none of us are pros. Check out DeLuna lanes up on Nine Mile Rd. It's a drive from Crestview, but worth it, to us.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    And . . . remember Putt-Putt Golf. There were two or three of those around P'cola when I was growing up.
    Another place to socialize,have a coke and a dog and just . . . "see who showed up,and with who". --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom