Target Sports

Driving through new York with a firearm???

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Not new York City!
    Passing through the state via interstate headed to Maine. All states look ok. New York had me worried.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    It's another commie state. Having a gun without a New York State permit is an arrestable offense.
    Even unloaded, boxed, locked, etc.

Drive legally. Don't get caught. Treat that damn state like the non-permissive hostile territory it is.

If I had tinfoil hats, I'd wonder why all of the coastal states are being aggressively "turned" anti-2A, one by one...

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "If I had tinfoil hats, I'd wonder why all of the coastal states are being aggressively "turned" anti-2A, one by one..."

I'd suspect because of the big cities in the coastal states where millions of people are jammed together. The average person doesn't have a gun so figures no body else needs one either. Any contact they have with a gun is also probably negative. They are also have a well oiled anti-gun establishment that brainwashes them continually

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Well from what I read police do not honor federal law.....multiples have been arrested and then cleared in court......but arrested none the less
    I have the gun disassembled. Slide and empty mags locked in one case and the frame and ammo locked in another case then locked in a suitcase. Still then I'm being told by others do not risk it. Was also told Maryland is 2x as bad as new York by several.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Id fly w/gun, avoid all that crap and rent a Car.

ALL of NY is bad, NYC is just the worst part. MD, Wash DC, DE, NJ, MA too. Since its your butt on the line, you should confirm "what's allowable" and print it, keep it in the vehicle.

When I last checked, most on line info was old/dated and new anti-gun laws pop up like weeds. Even the main sites said contact "the States Attorney General or State Police". That still doesn't get the info from counties and small town mine fields.

Understand you have FL plates and are generally driving on a major illegal drug corridor. Profile stop, maybe?

The basic protect is in: 18 U.S. Code § 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms. Note that it protects firearms (by a specific definition), it mentions ammo BUT states nothing about "magazines". Many locations have rigid mag/capacity Laws which could be interpreted as outside the protections of the Law. NY has an exemption to "the peaceable journey law" maintaining a Class D Felony for transporting a high capacity feeding device (NY S265.10).

You must know each States legal definition of "destination" as it applies to their enforcement. Stop at a amusement park or anchor in the harbor: that's a destination and not direct thru travel. Gas/food along the route is okay. Stop at a Aunt Jane's, no good. Hotels/motels are gray areas especially if you move firearm between vehicle and room.

Here is an example, the N.J. interrogation: https://www.njsp.org/firearms/transport-firearm.shtml. Plus, if they tag you for the gun you get additional Charges for over 10 mags and hollow points.

I wish you good luck and a smooth trip.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Many federal laws are defenses against imprisonment, NOT defenses against arrest. The LEOs seem to be ordered to arrest and let the courts sort it out. Costs people the time, maybe a couple days in jail, and legal/state/local fees for the hassle.

Some cases where simply Transiting an airport in NY with an otherwise perfectly legal Declared firearm got people arrested.

Drive like a felon breaking parole: 5-below the limit, use your turn signals religiously, no cellphone use while driving, make sure your lights work, no swerving, avoid any hint of road rage, and hopefully your vehicle with Florida plates doesn't have a ton of Trump 2020 and NRA stickers.

It's a damn shame that law-abiding Citizens have to "smuggle" a firearm to stay protected on a family roadtrip INSIDE the USA.

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    "It's a damn shame that law-abiding Citizens have to "smuggle" a firearm to stay protected on a family roadtrip INSIDE the USA. "

It's a bitch. I work in Colorado and used to work in the PA, WV, OH area as well. It sucks having to do research on current laws and try to abide by them as I go from state to state when driving to and from work. PA is a state that really confused me being as anti gun as they are. I've always kept my pistol with me and within arms reach while traveling. I feel I'd rather deal with legal consequences than have my wife plan my funeral. Don't call the police stations asking for guidance either. I asked 2 different cops the same question in PA and got 2 different answers. If the damn cops can't keep track of the laws they're supposed to enforce, then how the hell are we?

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    This has been some years ago but I've read you can fly into new York with a declared firearm legally, but you can't fly out or it's a felony. Isn't JFK in new York City? You can't have a firearm without a permit so are you just supposed to live in the airport the rest of your life so you aren't commiting a felony?
    What if you are in an emergency situation and you aren't designated to stop at a new York airport but have to. Plane had mechanical issue or there was a health risk abord and now you're going to prison? It's all ridiculous!!!

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    While I agree with you, to a liberal pushing for gun confiscation it’s logical.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I grew up in New Jersey, right across the Hudson River from New York. I still have family there. Anyway, finally took my kids and wife up there about 5 years ago to meet my cousins, aunts and uncles. I tried to figure out what to do when it came to carrying in any state north of Virginia. I finally decided that I would carry because I didn't want to leave the gun anywhere that someone else could take it without my knowledge (in my parked car, in the hotel room, etc.). Yes, it was illegal, but I figured the good of me carrying out weighted the bad that could potentially happened to my family during the road trip.

Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Id fly w/gun, avoid all that crap and rent a Car.

ALL of NY is bad, NYC is just the worst part. MD, Wash DC, DE, NJ, MA too. Since its your butt on the line, you should confirm "what's allowable" and print it, keep it in the vehicle.

When I last checked, most on line info was old/dated and new anti-gun laws pop up like weeds. Even the main sites said contact "the States Attorney General or State Police". That still doesn't get the info from counties and small town mine fields.

Understand you have FL plates and are generally driving on a major illegal drug corridor. Profile stop, maybe?

The basic protect is in: 18 U.S. Code § 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms. Note that it protects firearms (by a specific definition), it mentions ammo BUT states nothing about "magazines". Many locations have rigid mag/capacity Laws which could be interpreted as outside the protections of the Law. NY has an exemption to "the peaceable journey law" maintaining a Class D Felony for transporting a high capacity feeding device (NY S265.10).

You must know each States legal definition of "destination" as it applies to their enforcement. Stop at a amusement park or anchor in the harbor: that's a destination and not direct thru travel. Gas/food along the route is okay. Stop at a Aunt Jane's, no good. Hotels/motels are gray areas especially if you move firearm between vehicle and room.

Here is an example, the N.J. interrogation: https://www.njsp.org/firearms/transport-firearm.shtml. Plus, if they tag you for the gun you get additional Charges for over 10 mags and hollow points.

I wish you good luck and a smooth trip.
    I’m so glad I got out of the family 4th of July trip to my sister in law house in Maryland. I do not miss nothing in them states up north.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There have been news articles about "Airline Staff" that do baggage Check in: Calling LE after you checked in a declared firearm. No NY Reg/Permit and they arrest the ticket holder because: You stopped in NY, its a "destination".

If your flight get delayed in NY, do not pick up your bag with a "declared firearm" inside!

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I grew up in NY (Brooklyn and then Long Island). Escaped from there 23 years ago when we moved to Gulf Breeze. Hated it then, hate it now, don't even like MOST of the people up there! My wife is talking about a trip to visit relatives still there next year and I'm dreading it already. Will feel naked without carrying for the week or however long we will be stuck there.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I don’t think I’ll ever visit the northeastern states or any other communist state. I shouldn’t have to give up my constitutional rights as a citizen of this country to be a tourist in this country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'll travel where I need to. I'll avoid Kommifornia, NewYorkistan, and the others as applicable. I'll carry as I see fit.
    I'll minimize my risk of unlawful arrest through proper planning and execution.

I don't care about the thought-police. They can eat large bag of Richards...

Top Bottom