Join GulfCoastGunForum For Free

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    12 GA

Driving through new York with a firearm???

Not new York City!
    Passing through the state via interstate headed to Maine. All states look ok. New York had me worried.

Where 'bouts you heading in Maine ?? --- SAWMAN
    "Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A (MK-23 / XM-207)
    XM177E2

12 GA
    Sidney. Girlfriends folks have a house on lake mesalonskee. It's beautiful.

It's another commie state. Having a gun without a New York State permit is an arrestable offense.
    Even unloaded, boxed, locked, etc.

Drive legally. Don't get caught. Treat that damn state like the non-permissive hostile territory it is.

If I had tinfoil hats, I'd wonder why all of the coastal states are being aggressively "turned" anti-2A, one by one...
    Never under-estimate the Will and Ingenuity of the Oppressed...

5. Likes Snake-Eyes's Post:

"If I had tinfoil hats, I'd wonder why all of the coastal states are being aggressively "turned" anti-2A, one by one..."

I'd suspect because of the big cities in the coastal states where millions of people are jammed together. The average person doesn't have a gun so figures no body else needs one either. Any contact they have with a gun is also probably negative. They are also have a well oiled anti-gun establishment that brainwashes them continually

12 GA
    Well from what I read police do not honor federal law.....multiples have been arrested and then cleared in court......but arrested none the less
    I have the gun disassembled. Slide and empty mags locked in one case and the frame and ammo locked in another case then locked in a suitcase. Still then I'm being told by others do not risk it. Was also told Maryland is 2x as bad as new York by several.

Don't forget about the dumpster fire that is New Jersey either.

Id fly w/gun, avoid all that crap and rent a Car.

ALL of NY is bad, NYC is just the worst part. MD, Wash DC, DE, NJ, MA too. Since its your butt on the line, you should confirm "what's allowable" and print it, keep it in the vehicle.

When I last checked, most on line info was old/dated and new anti-gun laws pop up like weeds. Even the main sites said contact "the States Attorney General or State Police". That still doesn't get the info from counties and small town mine fields.

Understand you have FL plates and are generally driving on a major illegal drug corridor. Profile stop, maybe?

The basic protect is in: 18 U.S. Code  926A. Interstate transportation of firearms. Note that it protects firearms (by a specific definition), it mentions ammo BUT states nothing about "magazines". Many locations have rigid mag/capacity Laws which could be interpreted as outside the protections of the Law. NY has an exemption to "the peaceable journey law" maintaining a Class D Felony for transporting a high capacity feeding device (NY S265.10).

You must know each States legal definition of "destination" as it applies to their enforcement. Stop at a amusement park or anchor in the harbor: that's a destination and not direct thru travel. Gas/food along the route is okay. Stop at a Aunt Jane's, no good. Hotels/motels are gray areas especially if you move firearm between vehicle and room.

Here is an example, the N.J. interrogation: https://www.njsp.org/firearms/transport-firearm.shtml. Plus, if they tag you for the gun you get additional Charges for over 10 mags and hollow points.

I wish you good luck and a smooth trip.
    Wild Rider

Those that give up their guns are on a self destructive fools errand. Tyranny shall never take what it didn't provide: not by paper, not by Court and not by force.

Many federal laws are defenses against imprisonment, NOT defenses against arrest. The LEOs seem to be ordered to arrest and let the courts sort it out. Costs people the time, maybe a couple days in jail, and legal/state/local fees for the hassle.

Some cases where simply Transiting an airport in NY with an otherwise perfectly legal Declared firearm got people arrested.

Drive like a felon breaking parole: 5-below the limit, use your turn signals religiously, no cellphone use while driving, make sure your lights work, no swerving, avoid any hint of road rage, and hopefully your vehicle with Florida plates doesn't have a ton of Trump 2020 and NRA stickers.

It's a damn shame that law-abiding Citizens have to "smuggle" a firearm to stay protected on a family roadtrip INSIDE the USA.
    Never under-estimate the Will and Ingenuity of the Oppressed...

11. 2 Like Snake-Eyes's Post:

"It's a damn shame that law-abiding Citizens have to "smuggle" a firearm to stay protected on a family roadtrip INSIDE the USA. "

It's a bitch. I work in Colorado and used to work in the PA, WV, OH area as well. It sucks having to do research on current laws and try to abide by them as I go from state to state when driving to and from work. PA is a state that really confused me being as anti gun as they are. I've always kept my pistol with me and within arms reach while traveling. I feel I'd rather deal with legal consequences than have my wife plan my funeral. Don't call the police stations asking for guidance either. I asked 2 different cops the same question in PA and got 2 different answers. If the damn cops can't keep track of the laws they're supposed to enforce, then how the hell are we?

13. Likes kidsoncoffee's Post: