DK Firearms

Whats the Best Reloading kit for a Beginner Reloader?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Hello all,
    I've never reloaded before, watched some videos but thats about it. I've been looking at getting a reloading kit since I came into possession of a 336 in .35 Remington. Id like to start reloading the 35 Remys. Whats the best beginner kit?

I found these two highly rated on reviews...but I trust people on here much more.

https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precisio...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00162RM3E

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/4...MIyOSc_ICa4wIVD_DACh0WPQapEAQYASABEgLK4PD_BwE

Thanks!

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use a lee turret press and load mostly pistol rounds...but have done 300AAC. Lee offers kits though loading necked cartridges requires a few extra things and I think the turret press is one of the best values.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have the same one....it is good enough for me. I reload 9mm, 40 s&w and 300 blkout. I don't reload 1000 a time, so I don't have a progressive press. It is good for me because I concentrate on each step of the process, making sure that everything is correct. The Lee press is good enough for me and I have been reloading for a couple of years now and still use the same press. But invest in a good electronic scale. The powder funnel is pretty good, but I still check the powder with the scale every so often.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use a Lee turret press and as some have said above you need to up-gun a few things but it will get you started as is. It's best to ease into reloading till you're sure it's for you. Some people actually don't like to do it and sell their stuff.

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think the Lee kits are a good way to start to see if you like reloading.

Unsolicited advice: Never risk your safety to save a few pennies. When reloading, if you are ever unsure of a component or whether you skipped a step or question a powder charge , scrap that round (batch).

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A wise man once said, don't reload to save money; you won't because you will shoot more! He was right! I have found though, reloading is less expensive in particular with the more expensive rounds. 9mm is pretty cheap now and components are about the same price...I load because I like to and enjoy the hobby. Now 300AAC, it is much better to load. Aside from your initial investment, the single largest cost in loading is bullets....then you might consider melting lead! The rabbit hole is deep!

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think the Lee kits are a good way to start to see if you like reloading.

Unsolicited advice: Never risk your safety to save a few pennies. When reloading, if you are ever unsure of a component or whether you skipped a step or question a powder charge , scrap that round (batch).

Great advice! I weigh every round (with a digital scale) when I complete it to make sure it has a full powder charge. I've caught several that for whatever reason I didn't have a charge or only a piece of charge in them. Be advised there is a slight variation in the brass casings so there may be a small difference but if it's a lot something is amiss.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    RCBS Rock Chucker. I've been using the same press I started with 35 years ago. No regrets

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Started with 1 Lee single stage and now have 2 Lee single stage and 1 Lee turret press

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    all of the above stated presses are great, for loading a few rounds I have a RCBS 6 position manual turret press I also use it for precision loading. I also have 2 lee pro 1000's set up in 44 mag and 45 acp, I also have a Dillon square deal B set up for 357/38 special. but my go to press for cranking out lots of ammo is a Dillon 650 set up for 45 acp, 9mm, 38 super, 357 mag, 38 special, also have setups for 650 for 223, 308, 30-06, 6.5 swede, and 30-40 krag. the Dillon 650 to me is the cats meow. but make sure it has the low powder and too much powder alarms installed and turned on.

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Get the Lee single stage kit and don't look back. It's solid for what you're wanting to do and it's affordable. You'll find out real fast if you want to step up to a turret or progressive or not. Just get a good powder trickler, trimmer, digital scales, and a digital micrometer and you're set. I do MOST of my reloading on my single stage press just for the fact that it's super accurate and I don't miss any steps in between. Even my 5.56 is done on my single stage. If you have any questions or want to see a single stage and my setup, please feel free to message me. You're more than welcome to come to my home and see my setup and how it's done. I have a few things installed to make for a better space saving setup as well if you need ideas.

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    You can't beat Lee's lifetime warranty....trust me once you accidentally break a decapping pin or something else, Lee stands by their products...

bowfreak

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    You can't beat Lee's lifetime warranty....trust me once you accidentally break a decapping pin or something else, Lee stands by their products...

it's only a two year warranty on their presses and dies and accessories and whatnot it's free lifetime replacement of Parts but the shipping costs are so inflated it covers their production costs no I'm not knocking Lee products I pretty much use only Lee equipment but it's not a lifetime warranty

Attachments

• IMG_20190705_201149.jpg
      IMG_20190705_201149.jpg
      669.2 KB · Views: 225

Joeinfl

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Over the years I've loaded thousands of rounds on a Lee Turret press. I load my handgun rounds on the Lee, 9mm, 38sp, 357mag, 45acp, 40sw. Rifle loads, .222 Rem, 308 both on the RCBS Rockchucker. No doubt the Lee would handle them I'm just so used to loading rifle rounds on the Rockchucker. Like others have mentioned, start small and make sure you enjoy reloading, you can always build up as you go...and you will! Good luck and have fun.

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You'll always have use for a single-stage press, so that is what I'd say start with.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    The press is the same as your original post. I like the press and what you don't get with the Anniversary set vs. the link above, you can probably get anyway from the internet. To tell you the truth, I don't use some of the stuff that came with the kit, like the trimmer. I got another trimmer afterward. If you start to like to reload, you will get different tools / things as you go along. I don't think that you can go wrong with that press. Anyway, the $20 that you save with the above link, can go towards a good set of dies for your first reloading session.

As for a digital scale, I have a Frankford Arsenal. But, any digital scale that has a "tare" function should do the trick. Just as a side note, I got some weights (cheap from Amazon), just in case if I want to double check the scale for accuracy. My wife has a digital kitchen scale, so every once in a while, I use that one. I just verify that the scale is accurate using the weights that I have.

Top Bottom