• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrFish

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I replaced my compressor clutch last year and it's been fine. Just added freon to the system, since it was getting warm. Some reason, the compressor won't kick on for the first 5-8 minutes after the truck is cranked. Once it comes on, gauge shows freon full and it will freeze you out. Anyone run into this? It doesn't cut out once it starts. Think a relay might be going bad?

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Did you or a shade tree mechanic replace to clutch? Was the air gap set properly on the clutch? Did you use the best part you could buy or an el cheapo?

MrFish

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I replaced it. Ordered the clutch from Napa. It worked for a year and just started this a month or so ago. Once it starts, it runs great. Just wants to wait to start for some reason.

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you didn't set the air gap on the clutch properly that could be an issue. If you suspect a weak relay switch out your a/c relay with another relay that is the same part number and is not vital to the operation of the vehicle, a lot of times the horn relay is the same as the a/c and that would be a good one to switch. Ford is the only auto maker that doesn't label their fuse block on the lid so you will have to use the owners manual for a fuse block legend.

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Check the power wire to the clutch when the a/c is on but the clutch is not engaged, if you have 12 volts to the clutch and the clutch is not engaged then the clutch is your problem.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If you had to add freon, you have a leak. The compressor will not kick on with low freon, and sometimes will hesitate before kicking on. Too much freon pressure will cause the clutch to lock up. That may be the cause right now, it could be locking up right off the bat for a bit before letting up.
    Maybe you do not have the required amount of oil in the system from when you changed out the compressor? Since you did not list what you did, when you replaced your compressor, did you pull a vacuum on the system (purged all air out)?
    Did you use/follow the manufacturers recommendations, "weighed" the proper amount of freon and oil when refilling the system. Otherwise, if you "guessed" the amount of freon/oil using the fluid amount on each can, you can burn up your compressor over time.
    I'd (now) add some leak detection dye and check for any leaks before going further. If none, then I'd purge the system and re-fill it by manufactures recommendations, or take it to a qualified a/c shop and let them do it before you have to replace the compressor again.
    Also, when you replaced the compressor, did you change out the expansion valve (orifice tube) and replace the dryer accumulator and flush the system? If not, you should have. It helps keep it working properly for years to come.
    And since you didn't list the year of your truck, you might think about replacing the evaporator (maybe while 4 wheeling a stick stuck in it and is causing a slow leak) also with the orifice and dryer.

Last edited:

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think you mean the condenser which is in front of the radiator, the evaporator is in the cockpit. I had to replace my condenser recently because of a hole.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    He changed the clutch on the compressor not the compressor

Check the relay, air gap and make sure you didn’t overcharge the system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrFish

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gap is good, system is not over charged. I'll jump the switch on the accumulator and see if that's the problem.

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gap is good, system is not over charged. I'll jump the switch on the accumulator and see if that's the problem.

Did you check the power to the clutch with the a/c power on and the compressor not engaging? If no power then you back up from there to see where the loss of power is, if you have power then you have a clutch issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom