• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Avg Glock trigger pull is approximately 6.5lbs +- That is the equal and opposite "tipping point" force your thumb must contain: holding the gizmo down. Pressure needed to overcome common friction/lock in for a retention holster could easily equal 6.5 lbs. With the trigger obstructed, the gizmo should try to move back (protrude): can you differentiate static resistance from the holster verses gizmo trying to move under your thumb and recognize it every time? A person could hold 20+ lbs of pressure on the gizmo then release slowly trying to determine if it starts to move as pressure is reduced? Maybe you can if you focus your attention on it each and every time. But the gizmos selling point is preventing NDs when your not paying attention isn't it!

Please understand the "Disclaimer" in the sales pitch: adds an additional layer of safety. You must still follow what is required in the "other layers of safety", It doesn't say you can ignore them. I went to TAUDEVGROUP and searched for SDC operating instructions, instructions, how to use SCD, SCD usage: nothing! Only the sales pitch narrative and "Gunsmith installation required". So, thumb on gizmo, jam in holster and release!

The unanswered question remains: If there is obstruction pressure on the trigger and the gizmo is released: will the gun fire? YES! Reliance on a device that gives a false sense of safety is dangerous. Following firearm and holster manufactures procedures negates any justification for spending $80 on a gizmo that will reinforce sloppy complacency. Sooner or later; somebody is going to rely on it too much, perforate something and file a Lawsuit on the gismo. I'm not trying to be adversarial, I'm just supporting proper procedures above what I believe is an unnecessary accessory. IMHO

We are adults (Ayoob included) with different opinions and principals. Its solely you Choice. Hope it works out.

Very good points and part of doubt or question of the device is it a reliable device. That was initial question and still is. Most of this discussion did not answer the OP.

Anytime something goes in the back of glock slide one needs to be careful. There are special slide cover devices for example that turn a glock into a select fire weapons.
    I have not found any cases of failure without so far except for adverse conditions.

The question was raised about just how well does it block the trigger. It was really questions like these I was looking for answers to. I got no information from anyone that has tried it or even knew any that had.

On the basis of Ayood's opinion I will test it. Just how much pressure do you need to exert on the device with your thumb to block a 'pull' on the trigger? I would put it on one of my glocks, find a fixed peg or spike, put it in the trigger guard and push the gun forward. See just well that works. See if it a viable solution or not. I have almost decided to order one and test it.
    I would not it use on a carry gun until I was satisfied with its function.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have experience with a Raven Concealment Vanguard 2. Very minimalist. With the beltclip offset from the beefiness of the slide, it keeps the gun in place and still reduces the bulk behind the belt. Works great.

That said, you cannot "reholster" quickly or with one hand. The Vanguard 2 clips to the trigger guard, and the beltclip facilitates removing it when you draw. Reholstering is a two-handed job, and once the "holster" is clipped back on, then you return it to its home IWB.

I can't imagine carrying AIWB and reholstering "blindly", and I sure as hell wouldn't trust a thumb-pressure gadget to save my junk from being shot off because I couldn't bother to clear my tshirt from my holster while I reholstered a weapon.

My point: we carry these tools for a rare/never event. Reholstering is done when the shooting is done. No rush. If you need to shoot, then grab a person in each arm and egress, then be ready to shoot again, perhaps empty the current gun to slidelock, jam it in a pocket and go. You've got an extra mag, right? This isn't Call-Of-Duty clearing houses and transitioning between weapons. If it is, then use an appropriate OWB holster and reduce the need to meticulously inspect the holster before returning the weapon to it.

Ask yourself this: if it actually does facilitate blocking a trigger pressed by a tshirt/stick/etc, are you going to trust it blindly? Just jam that chambered pistol into a holster with nothing more than a thumb on the backplate? No? Then why have it. Why even practice that muscle memory or train yourself to trust the backplate to save you. What if your thumb isn't perfectly centered on that backplate? What if you're pressing hard against the top of it with the tip of your thumb, but the bulk of the plate can still hinge under the meaty portion of your thumb that isn't being used? How would you know until it's too late?

We practice clearing a weapon appropriately: safety on (if applicable), mag out, slide locked back, visually check the magwell and chamber, and jam a pinky tip in that chamber, too, if able. And we STILL treat it like it's loaded and avoid "flagging" people with it. Why train yourself that in "some circumstances" it's perfectly safe to jam that weapon into an uncleared IWB holster?

Seems like a negligent discharge waiting to happen.

Top Bottom