• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The why and what it is.
    Not sure about it how well it works, but it has sparked my interest since the most frequent AD self inflicted injury with glocks and other handguns is during reholstering. https://taudevgroup.myshopify.com/products/striker-control-device

Con: There one technique it prevents doing with the glock for making contract shot for when the thumb is used to jam the slide forward when the gun is jammed into someone's midsection for contact shot thusly preventing the slide being pushed back preventing it from firing.

SCD-3_530x@2xstriker control device.png

The Striker Control Device (SCD) replaces the slide cover plate on your Glock pistol. When thumb pressure is applied to the SCD it blocks the rearward motion of the striker, which blocks movement of the trigger bar and prevents the trigger from moving.

The SCD is completely passive. It does not lock or otherwise interfere with the normal operation of the pistol unless physical force is being purposely applied by the user. When using any normal firing grip, the SCD is not engaged and your pistol fires as usual with no additional steps needed.

The SCD was inspired by standard procedures for double action hammer fired guns. Users are taught to keep pressure on the hammer while holstering. In doing so, trigger motion is blocked and the gun is prevented from firing in the event that something (finger, shirt, thumb break, jacket drawstring, etc.) finds its way into the trigger guard. The SCD provides this same capability for Glock pistols.

Attachments

• SCD-3_530x@2xstriker control device.png
      SCD-3_530x@2xstriker control device.png
      56.4 KB · Views: 334

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So, if you can't remember to take your finger off the trigger or to ensure there is a clear holstering path: your supposed to remember to push the gismo when holstering, which will provide "an exrta level of safety". Sarcasm but also true.

I think the proper term is "negligent discharge"(ND) when the firearm works as advertiser and the operator errors: firing unintentionally, injury or not.

Some people may need gizmos, safeties or to keep the chamber empty. It was interesting (something new) but I wouldn't have one.

Someone with a hole in their body will probably sue Glock for not having such a feature. Lol

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Bwahahahaha !!

No problem whatsoever.
    Install this completely stoooopid piece of shit.
    Now there is a problem.
    TRUE - - -> A sucker IS born every minute.
    These will sell to the un-mechanically inclined Glock owner ( like that red thingy that goes into the trigger guard) and the "hey,gotta try this" individuals.
    Really,really funny. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So, if you can't remember to take your finger off the trigger or to ensure there is a clear holstering path: your supposed to remember to push the gismo when holstering, which will provide "an exrta level of safety". Sarcasm but also true.

I think the proper term is "negligent discharge"(ND) when the firearm works as advertiser and the operator errors: firing unintentionally, injury or not.

Some people may need gizmos, safeties or to keep the chamber empty. It was interesting (something new) but I wouldn't have one.

Someone with a hole in their body will probably sue Glock for not having such a feature. Lol

I will offer the explanation of why there is an issue and read or not as one wishes.
    This is likely more of a question/issue for those that regularly carry inside the waist band appendix position. I wanted to go elsewhere from a forum where there is a discussion going on about the glock external safety that one can put on their glock and most including myself do not think it can be used effectively in reactive mode relative to disengaging it in an efficient manner under stress to kill a foe. The reason for such a safety is to prevent shooting oneself. Someone else briefly mentioned this striker plate gizmo and was wondering if here any have any knowledge of it.
    The basic theories of likelihood for failure of an operation with something bad happening goes up the more the operation is preformed. Relative to a danger in the safety field, one can do forms of education like do not step in that hole that is in front of you. One can improve on the education with signage or do what is best in the safety field which is to engineer out the danger. Like cover or filling the hole being the best solution. A safety is more like a barricade than actually filling the hole, but if applied the gun will not go off when holstering or so being the theory.

As stated the more you do a potentially dangerous operation, the more likely something goes wrong. The best example are people that routinely handle poisonous snakes. Many eventually get bitten. Just one lapse and it happens. Saying just watch your finger and relying on that can get you killed.
    It is not just your finger, but anything that gets into area of the holster when the placing the gun back into the holster. Not a problem at home for me when there are no other distractions or issues going on. But in the car on are on the street if for what ever reason you draw and then must reholster. The problem occurs for is if you want the gun covered/concealed as you reholster. For me often when going into a NPE I will remove the gun and put it in the console of the car for storage. After returning to the car Reholstering while siting in a car for me is tricky; remember I am carrying appendix position. When holstering I am most attentive about a shirt tail or anything getting following the gun into the holster.
    Safety issues of my own person really get my attention. The finger is the most obvious and one can control it which I do, but it is not the only thing that can fire a glock. Hence the ideal of mechanical devices that absolutely in theory prevent this from happening.

Last edited:

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I gave this some thought, and came to the conclusion that it would at best create a false sense of safety. Lots of devices are sold that do little more than create an illusion of safety .

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Take a good training class and learn and then practice it I can see a part of a hand staying on the back of the slid when shooting under stress, have this all the time in training class's with people.
    wake up do your self a flavor learn how to do right if not get you self a ball bat, may be you want hurt your self or someone else as bad. just my 5 cents jj

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I will offer the explanation of why there is an issue and read or not as one wishes.
    This is likely more of a question/issue for those that regularly carry inside the waist band appendix position. I wanted to go elsewhere from a forum where there is a discussion going on about the glock external safety that one can put on their glock and most including myself do not think it can be used effectively in reactive mode relative to disengaging it in an efficient manner under stress to kill a foe. The reason for such a safety is to prevent shooting oneself. Someone else briefly mentioned this striker plate gizmo and was wondering if here any have any knowledge of it.
    The basic theories of likelihood for failure of an operation with something bad happening goes up the more the operation is preformed. Relative to a danger in the safety field, one can do forms of education like do not step in that hole that is in front of you. One can improve on the education with signage or do what is best in the safety field which is to engineer out the danger. Like cover or filling the hole being the best solution. A safety is more like a barricade than actually filling the hole, but if applied the gun will not go off when holstering or so being the theory.

As stated the more you do a potentially dangerous operation, the more likely something goes wrong. The best example are people that routinely handle poisonous snakes. Many eventually get bitten. Just one lapse and it happens. Saying just watch your finger and relying on that can get you killed.
    It is not just your finger, but anything that gets into area of the holster when the placing the gun back into the holster. Not a problem at home for me when there are no other distractions or issues going on. But in the car on are on the street if for what ever reason you draw and then must reholster. The problem occurs for is if you want the gun covered/concealed as you reholster. For me often when going into a NPE I will remove the gun and put it in the console of the car for storage. After returning to the car Reholstering while siting in a car for me is tricky; remember I am carrying appendix position. When holstering I am most attentive about a shirt tail or anything getting following the gun into the holster.
    Safety issues of my own person really get my attention. The finger is the most obvious and one can control it which I do, but it is not the only thing that can fire a glock. Hence the ideal of mechanical devices that absolutely in theory prevent this from happening.

The issues you speak of are "self inflected" by the actions represented.

1. The "basic theory" of degredation of performance, standards, attention to detail, or safety is COMPLACENCY. Be responsible, follow the Rules and Procedures: your safe. Deviate and create risks of liability, damage, injury, death or criminal charges.
    2. I mentioned trigger finger AND ensuring a CLEAR HOLSTERING PATH, that would include all potential obstructions. This is for all types of handguns.
    3. Tricky shots are okay but tricky (as in difficult, dangerous or risky) holstering of a firearm should not be. For IWB the recommend procedure is remove the holster, insert firearm then remount holster to IWB position. Worst case you must unfasten then refasten your belt. My IWB holsters (Appendix & SoB) slide in vertically and over the belt, quick easy and solid.
    4. If the priority is to cover/conceal the handgun while reholstering on the street: you had good cause to draw now you have good cause to put it back safely. Upon entering you vehicle: your the one making that call above safer methods. I don't view stealth as being more important than safety. Even if a person was in a Post Office parking lot with a handgun in the glove box (a no-no), that person could drive to another area with less visibility and gear up safely there.

People do screw up. What the gizmo really IS depends on how it is utilized. Does the gizmo relieve a person of responsibility or due diligence? If its an "added Level of Safety": it is in addition to, and we still continue to do the required safety procedures. If it is used as a substitute, "in place of" required safety procedures: it is a non-compliant work around (like tricky gearing up in a car).

I see no justification for adding the gizmo if a person is going to be responsible and follow Rules & Procedures. If a person thinks there's a safety benefit to it for their application: its their decision. I'm not going to say its a good idea. They need to understand they a swapping a 100% safe procedure (if you follow it) for reliance on a mechanical one (if you remember to use it).

When your thumb holds down the gizmo steady pressure is applied to the safe action trigger: No Bang. What happens if steady pressure (obstruction) still holds force against the safe action trigger and the gizmo is released? Will the gizmo stay engaged from the force on the trigger or release and let the striker fire? Hummmm.

Millions of Glocks in official and civ use, the percentage of ND from not following procedures is infinitesimal by comparison.
    Some people make a big deal over the Step requiring the trigger to be pulled during Field Stripping, even though it comes AFTER making a Clear and Safe firearm. TrigPhobia, Lol

FYI: I had a IWB 1911A holster made with a Speed Bump that will move the safety to the "ON" position. Its "purpose" is not to routinely engage the safety for me, it's in case "I Forget" from stress, distraction, urgency or brain fart. Lol

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My around the town "normal" carry weapon is a Glock 33,carried in a well molded,well fitted,Galco Concealment,OWB holster,at the 3:30 position. In a front thigh pocket I carry a reload which is a Glock 32 mag.
    There are several places around town that I DO NOT go with the firearm and magazine. Gunshows. The Naval Hospital,VA,and my private doctor at West Florida Hospital . . . IF . . . I am having a full blown checkup. For lab work,to pick up a prescription,the paperwork shuffle,etc,etc. I stay armed. Also when going into the terminal part of the airport or the court house downtown.
    Going into the post office,I stay armed. (I am the absolute least of their worries. Hell,I need a firearm to protect myself from the postal employee's.)
    I drive a full sized Toyota Tundra. I pull into a parking place,get out and with the drivers door still open,turn my right side towards the console shifter. I take out my mag in pouch and firearm (not holster) and lay it on the seat. I then turn around and put the items in the console.
    When I come back to my truck,I reverse the order. I try to be as inconspicuous as possible,but bottom line,I really don't care what anyone sees or anyone thinks. I care even less when I put my firearm back inside the holster and drive off.
    Kinda like "printing". I don't give even a half a shit about that one either.
    To each their own. Don't shoot me and we will all get along. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks very much Sawman, WR666, and others for taking the time to answer. There were already 6 pages of comments on this elsewhere including danger vs having good technique.
    I was not trying to justify this, but showing the concern.
    I plan to get back to training that involves getting off the X and drawing while doing so. The draw is not the danger, but in mind it is holstering, especially if one does it a lot and regularly. My pulse goes up a bit anytime I holster a gun, especially one without a safety that is ready to fire. On the other hand just having such a gizmo does not make sloppy technique a safe thing to do. It is just a back up. For example glocks have drop safety designed in them, but I do drop them on purpose, but it can happen..
    We all agree Being COMPLACENT will get you hurt. The ultimate safety must consist of safe practices.
    We are big boys and need to decide this on our own. The question I am making was not the need on my part, but if this gizmo works and is practical: How well is it made, details of installation and is it reliable?
    A con against it is about extremely adverse condition; in most CCW we will not doing mud tests, but it for sure some will be operating under adverse conditions this gizmo is not go to go for that. Example: Drivers in some paces are now going with glocks and there are cups for firing the pin/striker to deal with water. Point is I am considering this for CCW use only at the moment.
    I will do some more searching and likely buy one for personal evaluation; they are about $80. For the pdw glocks set up with the folding arm brace, the after market side safeties without a doubt are the way to to go if you keep it with a chambered round in it.

Off topic
    The were some other issues, printing, being observed with one in a car in a public place, not illegal, but can get you killed.
    GUN is the word that can get you kill by an LEO. Being an older white guy gives some lee way, but do not count on it being a magic shield. It is big boy rules here.

For NPE. That is on a case by case basis. Risk vs discovery and what ever that means. Maybe you just get told to leave. At the Post office that is a felony.
    Big thing is having some woman hug one in a greeting and getting found out. For me some places are technically legal like back rooms of offices in county buildings where I might be at for a meeting. I lately in day time do not carry there; big danger is from where the car is parked and the walk to the building. For federal facilities it is a no no in many cases.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    if re-holstering is an issue, perhaps look into DA/SA guns. the DA pull might give you a higher tolerance for Operator Error. Glocks are fine combat handguns out of the box and does not need any additional gizmos to make it any safer or more accurate. proper training and confidence in your CCW of choice goes a long way. repetition is the key. Go out there and shoot local pistol matches to get more confidence and proficiency out of your carry piece. you will get plenty of repetitions under pressure guaranteed.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Funny as I carry my G26 in a sticky holster, a remora, IWB. I never reholster it in place as I see the issue with a soft holster. I will remove the remora, reholster the 26 and place it back were I carry it. After Sawman slapped my hand and yelled at me after first getting a Glock I am over aware and safe!

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The PDW Glock with folding brace, not holster friendly issue could be remedied with a simple $10 Kydex Trigger Guard cover. Use as is or you can heat and bend the upper rear corner so you can swipe it away. There is the Frame mounted manual safety and a Slide mounted (to rear) manual safety version from BHSS RDIH that can also be padlocked. I don't waste perfectly good chamber space. Lol

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have those trigger guards from dale Frick and from others and it is something I have considered for the PDW. You could tie it to the weapon's arm brace instead of in your belt like one does CCW with the pistol. At one time I did carry my glock in the small of the back with one and a clip to retain the pistol. I used them enough that that I wore some of the out.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    These are the ones that I use.
    Snap on tight but a quick jerk streight down and they pop off. Got one for my 42,and my three 357Sig chambered Glocks.
    I also use them on the Glocks that are sitting on my nightstand and by my easy chair.
    I change the paracord to bright orange and put a "D" ring on them. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• ThumbnailHandler.jpeg
      ThumbnailHandler.jpeg
      72.5 KB · Views: 285

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sawman is there any benefit to using a bright orange cord on a CCW outfit?
    One of the best sources of CCW holsters is https://dalefrickeholsters.com/product/zacchaeus-concealment-holster/ That leads to various forms of trigger guard holsters. The link leads to one version of it set up to go over lights.
    To my knowledge Dale was one of the first if not the first to offer those in the USA and is a favored vendor over at paragon pride forums. At one time he was working with Gabe S until IIRC he was done a very bad turn from SI.

To all I have had the training courses. The only instructor I would consider locally is Don R that is the super moderator here.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The bright orange cord is on my Glock42 for pocket carry . . . ease of visibility and ID.
    I snap one on my house gun (Glock31) for the same reason. It sits out on the end table next to my easy chair for TV.
    And one goes on my Glock32 that sits on the nightstand besides the bed. These are not used for concealed carry except for the 42. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I finally found an evaluation that I can likely trust. I am not a follower of Mas, but I believe I can trust his assessment relative to the mechanical aspects which what I was asking.
    The only downside so far that I can see, the glock contact shot is not possible and there are other ways to properly shoot someone at close range.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/your-opinion-of-gadget-glock-striker-control-device.1730850/
    Mas Ayoob
    KoolAidAntidote
    I like the Striker Control Device (SCD) from Tau Development Group. Thumb on backplate when holstering, prevents the pistol firing if the trigger is interdicted by a finger or anything else during the process. Simply the same principle as when we keep the thumb on the hammer of a hammer-fired handgun when going into a holster, for the same reason.

NECESSARY? No, millions of safely handled Glocks prove that. An added layer of safety against human error? YES, and why not?

Available from: https://taudevgroup.myshopify.com/products/striker-control-device .

Like you, I see no downside. It has been VERY heavily tested and proven.

Best,
    Mas

Contact shot: Thumb is used to push slide forward keeping it in the firing position.

contact shot.JPG https://www.tngun.com/whys-hows-contact-shooting/

Attachments

• contact shot.JPG
      contact shot.JPG
      109.4 KB · Views: 141
    Last edited:

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Well idiot people need idiot "fixes". If you have had any training at all since day 1, you have always read, been told or heard, Do Not point a firearm at anything you do not intend on shooting. Same goes with the trigger. Don't put your damn finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot. A mechanical safety is just that, it's mechanical and can fail.
    So if you are too stupid to follow the 2 golden rules of firearm safety, then you are too stupid to own or handle a firearm. So if you accidentally shoot yourself, too bad for you. But I bet the next time you pick one up, you won't make that same mistake.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Avg Glock trigger pull is approximately 6.5lbs +- That is the equal and opposite "tipping point" force your thumb must contain: holding the gizmo down. Pressure needed to overcome common friction/lock in for a retention holster could easily equal 6.5 lbs. With the trigger obstructed, the gizmo should try to move back (protrude): can you differentiate static resistance from the holster verses gizmo trying to move under your thumb and recognize it every time? A person could hold 20+ lbs of pressure on the gizmo then release slowly trying to determine if it starts to move as pressure is reduced? Maybe you can if you focus your attention on it each and every time. But the gizmos selling point is preventing NDs when your not paying attention isn't it!

Please understand the "Disclaimer" in the sales pitch: adds an additional layer of safety. You must still follow what is required in the "other layers of safety", It doesn't say you can ignore them. I went to TAUDEVGROUP and searched for SDC operating instructions, instructions, how to use SCD, SCD usage: nothing! Only the sales pitch narrative and "Gunsmith installation required". So, thumb on gizmo, jam in holster and release!

The unanswered question remains: If there is obstruction pressure on the trigger and the gizmo is released: will the gun fire? YES! Reliance on a device that gives a false sense of safety is dangerous. Following firearm and holster manufactures procedures negates any justification for spending $80 on a gizmo that will reinforce sloppy complacency. Sooner or later; somebody is going to rely on it too much, perforate something and file a Lawsuit on the gismo. I'm not trying to be adversarial, I'm just supporting proper procedures above what I believe is an unnecessary accessory. IMHO

We are adults (Ayoob included) with different opinions and principals. Its solely you Choice. Hope it works out.

Top Bottom