Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Once you shoot suppressed it's hard to go back... if you are a member of ERGC, let me know and you can shoot some of mine and you'll understand the addiction, lol.
    15c15f7ff5aa52336f2f033ecce87cd3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One important thing they missed: the best way to understand the increases in sound intensity fordecibels (db) is logarithmic. There is perceptible noise at 0 db. The Rule is a sounds intensity doubles with every three db increase. The relevance becomes clear if your at the 140 db pain level and increase 3 db to 143 db the sound intensity is doubled so its not a "minor" change. The reverse: (-3 db) drops sound intensity by half!

A suppressor that delivers 150 db produces 25% of the sound intensity of a 156 db suppressor. Even using MIL STD 1474D testing standards, there are still dozens of environmental variables that come into play. Testing methodologies between Brands vary further with firearm, barrel length, ammo, microphone at barrel muzzle or muzzle of the suppressor when attached. Some company's want you to ignore slight differences in db comparisions and give preference to other qualities. Go with your priorities but now you know what value "3 db" carries.

dogamus rex

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Shooting my Ruger 9mm carbine suppressed with subsonic ammo is as quite as my pellet gun, haven't done a sound test but its super quiet. ( thats not a technical term ).

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Once you shoot suppressed it's hard to go back... if you are a member of ERGC, let me know and you can shoot some of mine and you'll understand the addiction, lol.
    15c15f7ff5aa52336f2f033ecce87cd3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    i will make a note to take you up on that maybe in and you can in exchange shoot anything that I have of course.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    n reality, most civilian-accessible firearms emit sounds ranging from 140-175 decibels. Silencers only marginally suppress a gun blast, bringing the levels down to around 120-150dB. Most of the time, the sound is still very obviously identifiable as a gun shot.

i saw an owner made silencer that was not detectable by my hearing if the 10-22 bolt was held shut for most shots. There was some variation in the cheapo .22 ammo that was being used and sometimes one would hear it.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One important thing they missed: the best way to understand the increases in sound intensity fordecibels (db) is logarithmic. There is perceptible noise at 0 db. The Rule is a sounds intensity doubles with every three db increase. The relevance becomes clear if your at the 140 db pain level and increase 3 db to 143 db the sound intensity is doubled so its not a "minor" change. The reverse: (-3 db) drops sound intensity by half!

A suppressor that delivers 150 db produces 25% of the sound intensity of a 156 db suppressor. Even using MIL STD 1474D testing standards, there are still dozens of environmental variables that come into play. Testing methodologies between Brands vary further with firearm, barrel length, ammo, microphone at barrel muzzle or muzzle of the suppressor when attached. Some company's want you to ignore slight differences in db comparisions and give preference to other qualities. Go with your priorities but now you know what value "3 db" carries.

What you hear relative to loudness is more related to the decibel expression and is logarithmic scaling. Many biological functions operate that way. You can hear relatively faint sounds and not be complete overwhelmed until you start raising the energy or power of the sounds waves many units about hearing threshold. Basically it is based on watts that IIRC is a power unit (The SI unit of intensity, which includes sound intensity, is the watt per square meter (W/m2).)

Top Bottom