• Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I'm really interested in their new Long Ranger, available in several calibers including 6.5 creedmore.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I was never a huge lever gun fan. In the past I owned several Winchesters. The 45LC Trapper and the 44Mag Trapper. And for a short while the 356Big Bore.
    Then several years ago I got really interested in the 454Casull chambering. I got a pistol,then found out that there was a 454 rifle produced by LSI/Rossi.
    I bought the 16" stainless version,for the think brush or from a small river boat,hog hunting. This gun had a loading gate plus the tube load feature. I quickly found the tube load feature a real plus. I could pull the tube out partially and load through the tube's generous sized port,and pull the tube completely out to dump the entire load. Another plus,at least for me,was that the tube unscrewed. It was not the old partial turn like the 22's of past years.
    I never used the loading gate. I found it somewhat awkward and a real PITA when wearing gloves. It would continously grab the end of my grove (thumb) on my right hand.
    From my expierances with lever guns,I would buy one even if it had no loading gate whatsoever. As long as the tube load was designed like the LSI/Rossi's. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The side loading gate is needed for combat. Meaning it is easier to reload rifle while prone or behind cover without presenting a target of yourself. Originally most lever guns had much longer barrels. Reloading a front tube loader in a short carbine is probably easier while under cover. The other thing is a side loader is ready to fire while are loading it and in fact you can top it off between shots. Remember the winchester or should I say henry started out as a military weapon during the civil war and the lack of a side loading gate was always considered a short coming. A hunter obviously does not have the same need for a side loading gate as a someone using the gun for combat.

Top Bottom