• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I found out from Nexdoor that the through street to the south of me now has a homeless population. The story was that Pensacola has run them out of Escambia County, FL.

The are congregating in the woods about the Legend Creek Trailer subdivision. I am on the same wooded creek area upstream and this is not what I wanted hear. Probably means I have to put cameras up on my property lines. My place is fenced with dogs, but still not good for the security of our neighborhood.

They are likely also living now in other parts of Santa Rosa County, FL also.

InkedLegend creek data=4Pj7vOkTvTe6e3arFZknvb6nLJv6h10SEklThfizPcQFS4PGBA4uY5wKpFT7F0zEX-pYL0pXZ.jpg

Attachments

• InkedLegend creek data=4Pj7vOkTvTe6e3arFZknvb6nLJv6h10SEklThfizPcQFS4PGBA4uY5wKpFT7F0zEX-pYL0pXZ.jpg
      InkedLegend creek data=4Pj7vOkTvTe6e3arFZknvb6nLJv6h10SEklThfizPcQFS4PGBA4uY5wKpFT7F0zEX-pYL0pXZ.jpg
      50.2 KB · Views: 746

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No doubt an unsettling development, but at least you're upstream from their toilet.

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have long wondered what the solution is for our homeless population. I really wish I was smart enough to come up with a great idea, it's really sad.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have long wondered what the solution is for our homeless population. I really wish I was smart enough to come up with a great idea, it's really sad.
    Pensacola did, they sent them to us. Basically a lot money to feed, house/support, medicines, and psychiatric support. Not happening.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

IMG_2511.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2511.JPG
      IMG_2511.JPG
      94.6 KB · Views: 638

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    In all seriousness, it's a society "norms" issue. If people are expected to live in a home, and "urban campers" are frowned upon, then how far is that to be taken? Illegal vagrancy, so "move along" to the next county? Must purchase a permit for urban camping? More jails to house the illegal campers who can't afford the permit? Maybe establishing specific areas of land to allow the campers? What about access to clean water and proper waste disposal? Maybe a committee could take that on. Oh wait, the more campers are gathered, they'll need hospitals, fire departments, extra law enforcement officers, rural postal services, etc. What county would they vote in? Sounds like just another city...

Chances are that the homeless are stuck in a loop of bad circumstances. Some are smart enough and have the drive to take advantage of a helping hand and turn things around. Others need much more help: rehab for drug or alcohol abuse, counseling for other behavioral issues, medical treatment for illnesses (some of which are terminal, but can be managed), or maybe simply palliative care so they can breath their last breath with dignity. Then, of course, there will be a few who are professional panhandlers or actually seem to enjoy the vagabond life.

Whatever the individual story, it's a gigantic challenge and draw of society's resources. Which means, it's all a matter of how much the "rest" of society wants to deal with.

I agree: it's sad. I imagine most of the homeless would prefer a different set of circumstances.
    When you see what our elected officials seem to think is higher priority, then it makes you ponder even more.

My picture about Thanos is just an observation: the cold truth might be there are too many people competing for resources, and more and more societal priorities will go unaddressed.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is quite sad. But my take is very selfish. I sort of look upon priorities as: my immediate family group which includes my dogs, my close relatives and friends (tribe), and then everyone else. I like people, but like dogs more, but I will do what is necessary to deal with those not in my in my family group.
    Take dogs, strays just like my own dogs, require food, water, and territory. So in order to live they cause me problems. The same thing with the homeless. There are different degrees of being homeless. Many homeless do live in vehicles and have some income and likely a mailing address somewhere. If they can get a decent job somewhere or a significant other they will leave the homeless status. Many are mental cases of all sorts. Also being marginal in existence, may steal, commit vandalism, and trespass. They would also be capable of poisoning guard dogs and other mischief.
    If they trespass and we are talking about the mental cases here you might have to react violently against them and that is last thing I want to have happen. For the wooded creek area, I own to middle of the creek adjacent to my property and need to figure out what antitrespassing rights I have for that area. Remember a homeless person can sue you if you hurt them so make sure any violence you commit passes criminal and civil muster.

Mine thoughts are cameras, some of them real time. Basically the dogs can not get past the fence, but someone via access of the creek could poison them and so I just do want them residing in my part of the creek. For a while they were barking at something in that region once I extended the fenced in area over there. The barking by my dogs has stopped and likely the concern is gone. I do at night hear other dogs along the creek barking from places closer to that trailer subdivision.
    What really makes it worst in that same region there are criminals. A car stolen from a neighbor was found down there.

There several isolated homesteads of large acreage and at least one has a lone woman residing there. The backyards of many people in my subdivisions front on to larger acreages which are accessible to people traveling that wooded creek. A privacy fence helps, but is not an adequate deterrent unless it has dogs or in someway is protected.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I don't think you're selfish wanting to protect yourself, your family, and your property. Not at all.

If I were in your spot, I'd put up signs. I'd build a physical barrier (t-posts and cattle wire), with signs on it. Then I'd put some overt/obvious cameras (fakes are fine) covered by well-hidden real ones, to catch any vandals. (Kendive could probably give you some pointers.). If they mess with an overt "camera", and they discover it's a fake, they might assume the rest are fake, too.

For the dogs, I'd have extra cameras on their territory. I hate to say it, but a determined badguy could do exactly as you fear, if the dogs are left outside and unattended. In that case, all you would have is evidence to react; not a means to prevent.

For me: our yard has a sort of "second backyard". Two fenced areas, one inner area closest to the house and the outer area (still enclosed). Maybe if you made the area outside your dogs' range also enclosed, you could hang signs and physically/legally deter 99% of any a-holes who might think otherwise.

In reality, unless your house screams "Free Gold and lots of unprotected easy to steal stuff", I doubt a random vagrant would go through the trouble of poisoning fenced-in dogs. They would move on to the easier target down the road.

Regardless, I totally understand your concerns. Again, it's a problem, and our societal structure isn't addressing it, so we, as individuals are left to deal with it ourselves. Some more than others, like in your case.

Maybe file a complaint with the Santa Rosa County sherrif's office. Get the paperwork trail started. God forbid you have to defend yourself, at least you can point back and show that you tried to bring it to the county's attention, and they did nothing.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You're darned right it's a shame. The Democrats and the Liberals rather feed, cloth and house illegal immigrants than to help the US population of the Homeless. It's a sad day when an illegal can vote, receive free medical, food, housing and live high on the hog, All on the backs of the tax payer.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You're darned right it's a shame. The Democrats and the Liberals rather feed, cloth and house illegal immigrants than to help the US population of the Homeless. It's a sad day when an illegal can vote, receive free medical, food, housing and live high on the hog, All on the backs of the tax payer.
    Often the homeless do not vote, but the illegals will if given the opportunity to do so. So which ranks higher on a politicians list?

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are developments with shopping and business areas being planned nearby on Woodbine rd and since the the county commissioner is a real estate agent himself and goes to the same church as the main developer eventually the county will likely crack down on the homeless and on the marginal elements in that area. But it might be awhile. A bunch us want to hang the members of the BOCC so some of us do not have a good relationship with them.
    I suspect the people around guernsey road will be sounding off soon and maybe something will get done about it. The homeless are trespassing and that can be used against them. But once you arrest them, what do you do with them. Take them down to the county jail and once they are released maybe they will start hanging around down town milton by the Blackwater River. Better panhandling there.

Ps maybe that will drive them to the Alabama border and let them go there.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Often the homeless do not vote, but the illegals will if given the opportunity to do so. So which ranks higher on a politicians list?

Yeah, but I was referring to the illegals voting, not the homeless because they have to have a residence listed, and since they are homeless, they don't vote.

You Decide:
    "But thanks to a coordinated effort by the Democratic Party and foreign organizations, illegal immigrants can vote in American elections in most states, especially blue states where Democrats make and enforce the laws."

dems show illegal immigrants which states they can vote

https://www.whiteoutpress.com/dems-show-illegal-immigrants-which-states-they-can-vote/

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    the the county commissioner is a real estate agent himself and goes to the same church as the main developer

I'm not a huge fan of government oversight but that seems like someone could be taking advantage of their position...... I'm just typing out loud though.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm not a huge fan of government oversight but that seems like someone could be taking advantage of their position...... I'm just typing out loud though.

There is what is now a small group that want to unseat our local county commissioner over that. They are very small in number and most people are too busy with their lives to get involved in local politics. So the realtors are winning now. I went to one meeting that was full of people connected to the building trades and maybe 8 local people opposed. A vote was taken at the meeting without even bothering to see if the voting audience were residents of Pace, the afflicted area, or even of Santa Rosa County. So these guys are winning.

Essentially the vast number of new housing is increasing the school age population and also local traffic without any financial provisions to build new schools and highways. The accepted normal in many other florida counties and provided for by Florida law is to charge an impact fee to help out with these developmental problems. In august the county will have a referendum on a new sales tax and they just will absolutely not consider impact fees. Impact fees hurt the realtor's bottom line. If the sales tax proposal gets voted down we will really have some infrastructural problems in this county. No matter what happens the citizens lose and the realtors profit. Their zoning and permits have been approved and that is the bottom line.
    The link for those that are opposed https://www.facebook.com/groups/srcvoters/ Santa Rosa Voters Group

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know, I know, I'm using a democrat as an example but he did have some sound policies. Forgive me. Set up camps like Franklin Roosevelt and feed and take care of these people and make them WORK. Assuming they're not too old to work. The ones in a real bind will probably appreciate 3 squares and a roof and the professional slackers will probably move on somewhere else.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Used to be ECSO would pick up non-local vagrants and take 'em to the State Line & drop 'em off, with a "Don't come back!" That policy was just fine with me. The locals would get local help. The few that were unrepentant druggies or drunks ended up in the nuthouse or died of natural causes (like walking onto Davis Hwy drunk during rush hour).

Santa Rosa just needs to nut up and take 'em to the state line. Brewton is nice this time of year ;)

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Used to be ECSO would pick up non-local vagrants and take 'em to the State Line & drop 'em off, with a "Don't come back!" That policy was just fine with me. The locals would get local help. The few that were unrepentant druggies or drunks ended up in the nuthouse or died of natural causes (like walking onto Davis Hwy drunk during rush hour).

Santa Rosa just needs to nut up and take 'em to the state line. Brewton is nice this time of year ;)
    Probably illegal if some advocate decides to challenge it. Once you arrest or take someone into custody you may end up legally being responsible for them for medically if they are mentally ill and you dump them somewhere.

gerald granger

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just wait until the immigrants start flooding the streets. As for the homeless, a lot of them are in that situation by choice. The others I feel for.

htf1963

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If they trespass and we are talking about the mental cases here you might have to react violently against them and that is last thing I want to have happen. For the wooded creek area, I own to middle of the creek adjacent to my property and need to figure out what antitrespassing rights I have for that area. Remember a homeless person can sue you if you hurt them so make sure any violence you commit passes criminal and civil muster.

Remember in Florida we have flukey trespassing laws. So, for the creek, you own the land under the water, but not the water. Example, if the creek ran through the middle of your land, others could boat the creek without trespassing as long as they don't touch the land. The state owns the water. As to trespassing in general, in Florida violence is not an option unless in self defense. The deputies will come out and issue a "trespass warrant" which essentially is where they take the person's picture and fill out a triplicate form. The trespasser, the landowner, and the LEO gets a copy. That's it. Second offense is a $100 fine, escalating in price each violation. You can't commit violence on a trespasser unless in self defense. Contrast to Texas sundowner law where you can shoot someone on your land after the sun goes down.

Top Bottom