• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I cannot seem to wrap my head around how a 3A vest sitting in a climate controlled environment is going to have a usuable life of only 5 years?

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I believe that replacement schedule is for an issued vest and likely a large police department follows the one size fits all. If it were my vest and not exposed to UV, moist moldy conditions, and/or extreme heat I would not worry about it. I believe most departments after any damage to the vest are supposed to replace it.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ^^^^^^^ I agree. Climate controlled is vastly different than in use. However, everything ages and breakes down, dirt gets imbedded in fibers and accelerates breakdown as do common chemicals and UV Rays. Mfrs can't control the vest/plates exposure wear after its sold. Expiration dates are Hard regardless of use/storage. There's vids with expired vest taking hits within Level rating and still working, most to a standard slightly above Level but I wouldn't volunteer to be the ballistics test dummy. Your call and liability to continue in service.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ^^^^^^^ I agree. Climate controlled is vastly different than in use. However, everything ages and breakes down, dirt gets imbedded in fibers and accelerates breakdown as do common chemicals and UV Rays. Mfrs can't control the vest/plates exposure wear after its sold. Expiration dates are Hard regardless of use/storage. There's vids with expired vest taking hits within Level rating and still working, most to a standard slightly above Level but I wouldn't volunteer to be the ballistics test dummy. Your call and liability to continue in service.
    Really depends on how old. If it got dirt and such embedded in it, it has not be stored in climate controlled area most likely.
    If was 6 yrs, that is not the same as 12 yrs old. There is a judgement call and also what is your life worth in cents and dollars for new equipment.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I remember the the body armour we issued to the aircrew had a service life. Don't recall what it was anymore. Some confusion comes about with the terms used, they are not interchangeable.

Service life: How long an item can be used for before it's unserviceable
    Shelf life: How long an item can be stored before it's unserviceable

Then some items have two service lifes. Example one parachute component had a service life of 13 years from DOM or 10 years from DOI whichever comes first.

Service life is how long an item will last with normal use aka wear and tear. That said once an item is exposed to certain forces then the item is no longer considered serviceable. Example parachute on an aircraft, if used in an emergency (bailout) it's no longer serviceable, but if never used good for 10-13 years.

Trauma plates get beat up hitting the ground, being loaded and unloaded in vehicles, same thing with the vest itself. While people who don't use it don't really grasp it at times, those who do use it understand it. These shelf/service lifes are determined after extensive testing, they might err on the side of caution when setting these dates. But how much value do you put on your life? To me, my life was and is worth more than the cost of replacing expired equipment.

You'd be surprised how many times we'd open parts with expired shelf/service life and you could see the degradation of the materials. Even though the parts were stored in a temperature controlled environment.

Last edited:

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I'd wear a 15 year old vest the was climate controlled if I had no other option. I believe there have been out of date vest tested on youtube and pass but I'm not going to post any links as I dont want to sway your thoughts.....

Off topic but and different material but this also makes me wonder how good the airbags are in 20 year old cars are with all the heat waves we have had here in Florida.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd wear a 15 year old vest the was climate controlled if I had no other option. I believe there have been out of date vest tested on youtube and pass but I'm not going to post any links as I dont want to sway your thoughts.....

Off topic but and different material but this also makes me wonder how good the airbags are in 20 year old cars are with all the heat waves we have had here in Florida.

Good question on airbags. Also Off Topic, why aren't seatbelts replaced after accidents anymore? Or was that just a European thing? Got hit in Germany, was told the seatbelts needed replaced due to the stresses of the sudden deceleration.

I think my view and my problem is, that I'll always be swayed by my military service and my AFSC. That doesn't mean I'm right or wrong. We all have and are entitled to our opinions and healthy discussions like this are always good.

Last edited:

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. The ar500 website stated shelf life of five years for the lightweight armor I was looking at. I already have their heavy plate setups and now looking for a lighter iiia level vest as well as some backpack inserts. I’m liking safelife and bulletsafe so far.

Top Bottom