• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vikuto

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm just looking for a quick class like they do at the gunshows (or quicker) so my wife can get her CCW. Can't make it to the show this weekend.

She has been shooting with me for 5 years and doesn't need a 4 hour class to tell her what she already knows. We're just looking for the absolute minimum to get her legal to carry. Cost isn't an issue. Shortest I've found is the gunshow classes (2 hours?) and the next shortest is the gander mountain classes at 3 hours. We're hoping to find a class where she could just bring her pistol and holster, run through the drills and sign some papers and be done. 30 minutes or under would be fantastic. Anyone know of a class like that?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    30 minutes is really too long. Should be a way to get blessed by a Starbucks barista,at the counter,while waiting on a double latte,caramel,flambae,cuppertino.
    Don't go thru any of that training bullshit. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

vikuto

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree. 30 minutes is too long for someone that already knows what they're doing. :usa2: :wink:

Thanks for the helpful reply. :flame:

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Unless you're close friend is a certified instructor, I think you'll be hard pressed to find anything shorter or easier than what you've already listed. No matter what your back story. Good luck though...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

vikuto

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep I understand. Just trying to save some time for the wife. I was exempt and was hoping we could get her something quicker than 3 hours. Thought one of the locals here could recommend something shorter. Thanks for the civil reply. :rockon:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    quick is not what I think of when weapon training, the class covers laws and scenarios not improving their aim thus keeping them out of prison. My bet is she really needs JJ's all day class as we all do prior to getting in trouble. Most folks that "think" they know how to shoot and handle a weapon really do not and need continuing education and training to get and remain proficient and safe

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Let us know who you find so we know who to avoid. No instructor with any ethics would do a 30 minute class. I have yet to find someone who is adement "they know what they are doing" to actually know what they are doing.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It sounds as if you and your wife are concerned about her safety and want to take action. I applaud your efforts. I cannot suggest a drive through CCW course.

I would like to respectfully suggest that getting the permit is the beginning of learning how to protect herself with a weapon. Drawing from concealment and pressing the trigger are only a portion of her effective self defense.

I encourage you to explore self defense courses that will challenge her to improve the knowledge and skills she already has and make her even safer.

I wish you and yours the best.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    I have a permit but I would like to take JJs class. Nobody knows it all

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Why does she need a permit right now? Sounds like if it's that big of a rush a 2hr class should suffice if yourr in a hurry to be legal to carry.

vikuto

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm not sure what some of you are reading but I never said anything about training being worthless or whatever else you're getting at. All I asked for was information on the shortest course. :deadhorse: :lol:

The hunter safety course doesn't even cover CCW statutes or "scenarios" but Florida accepts it as "proof of competency with a firearm." Even the non-resident Virginia license, which we both have, can be applied for after taking an online class and 29 other states recognize it, but Florida requires live fire. So while I can appreciate everyone's recommendations on more thorough training, she isn't going to sit in an 8 hour class for a Florida CCW, much less 4.

Regardless, we signed her up for the hunter safety course and she has no problem with that since it isn't something we do all the time already. :usa2:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    And . . . think about this. This has happened here . . MULTIPLE TIMES !!
    For Sale . . Pistol . . carried . . but never shot.
    HUH ??? ---- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    It is extremely irresponsible to concealed carry a weapon that you have not fired. If you have not fired it,it goes without saying that you have zero training with it.
    THEN . . . you (basically) admit this on open forum while trying to sell it. Jeeeeeeze !! --- SAWMAN

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Not to be melodramatic or cynical but...at what point does someone who "lawfully" carries a concealed firearm feel comfortable with minimal training and instruction. I don't know your training background or practice regimen but if you're asking for a "quick fix" class, you've come to the wrong forum.
    It bothers me that individuals feel confident in their skillset after a 4 hr ccw class or even an 8 hour live fire course. I shoot/practice/seek out quality training more than most ccw carriers because I understand the truth of diminishing returns on training.
    For someone to utilize a ccw without proper training and continued review of that training is careless at best and leaning towards setting ones self up for gross failure.

Welcome to the forum. JW

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

vikuto

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree that there should be more training for firearms. In fact, I support having more than what Florida or Virginia mandates is necessary to carry concealed or own firearms in the first place. But that isn't what this post was about was it? I'd be crucified elsewhere on the forum for suggesting that more hoops were needed to gain access to lawful concealed carry. But let's discuss it more.

And again I agree, at what point should a CCW holder be confident enough in their skills that they would be considered "safe" to carry by most standards? An 8 hour class? 100+ hours of training by an ex-federal leo? 200+ hours of training by a 18B? Who gets to decide? The state of Florida or you? I guess everyone here did an 8 hour class before turning in their DD214?

I don't understand where you guys are getting the notion that my wife hasn't been training with her firearm. Sure she isn't Larry Magill or JJ or whoever else, but compared to 95% of the women in Florida I bet you she has much more training than the majority of women being granted a CCW in Florida.

I get it. She doesn't meet your standards for training.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Last edited:

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sounds like you are confident in her firearms handling skills. Great! How about selecting a CCW course that focuses on the legal aspects of CCW in the state of Florida that will help keep her out of legal problems, both civil and criminal. That may be worth her time.

As you are well aware, using a firearm for self defense is just the beginning of the incident. Next, she and you will begin the legal phase, civil and criminal, which can be a very long and expensive experience. What she learns now can smooth that process. Mistakes can also be made in just carrying. What is legal in VA may not be in FL. CCW course can help there also.

Top Bottom