• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Anyone reloading this? Picked up a carbine length gas system 16" barrel 1:14 upper. Ammo is insanely expensive. I ordered 100 factory rounds so I can reuse the brass. I want to load for a 350GN FMJ projectile. Anyone have any personal experience with this round and projectile? I doubt any of my current powders will work for this round. I mainly have a stockpile of varget, H110, H335, and ramshot tac. If you do load, what powder can you get away with using the least amount of to still hunt with? Looks like most loads are around 40GN per round or more. Not to mention pressure signs on primers showing and it's too late cause you already hit the max pressures of the barrel and then some. I'd love to get a tried and true recipe from one of you instead of just some schmoe off the internet. Thanks.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sooooo . . . lemme get this streight . . . you bought a 450Socom,and you are looking for a load that produces the lowest velocity possible,driving a 350gr FMJ bullet,to HUNT with ??
    AND . . . if ammo is insanely expensive,why buy 5 boxes of it when you could simply buy the brass and reload it to your specs at 1/2 the cost ??
    To each their own . . BUT . . Am I missing something ?? ---- SAWMAN

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    LoL it sounds awful when you put it that way. What I mean by least amount of powder is, a powder that will still give me optimal velocity while using the least. As you know, some powders require 5 or more grains to get the same velocity as another powder. I want to get the most bang for my buck with the powder used. Also I bought 4 different grains of factory ammo to try out and see which one I like the best at 100 yards. I will be buying extra brass only from here on out I just wanted some factory loads to get a feel for the gun. Hope that clears things up.

wr4611

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ive been working on reloading the same cartridge for a while. The online recipes are ok, just use with caution. I'm trying to get accuracy and subsonic with a 405gr lead round. Online recipes has WAY too much powder and i ruined 25 cases...I'm using half the powder now and getting very close to subsonic. I haven't tries any rounds in 350gr or jacketed bullets. I did spend a great deal of time communicating with Radical Firearms who referred me to Black Butterfly Ammo. I would advise using a chronograph, and slowly work up to a usable load.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ive been working on reloading the same cartridge for a while. The online recipes are ok, just use with caution. I'm trying to get accuracy and subsonic with a 405gr lead round. Online recipes has WAY too much powder and i ruined 25 cases...I'm using half the powder now and getting very close to subsonic. I haven't tries any rounds in 350gr or jacketed bullets. I did spend a great deal of time communicating with Radical Firearms who referred me to Black Butterfly Ammo. I would advise using a chronograph, and slowly work up to a usable load.
    When working with cast bullets besides hardness apparently the sized diameter can be very important. Of course hot loads are apt to lead up the bore also.
    In this part of the country I just do not have a strong enough reason to go .458 anything other than that I might just want it without any specific need.
    The ammo is not plentiful or cheap. The brass is not readily made from anything else. On the plus side It will make your AR ballistically into a 45-70.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    FS . . . would respectfully have to disagree with your last statement. IMO it will not make any 458S weapon into a 45-70. Especially an AR platform.
    This is the reason that the AR/458 is abandoned by many AR owners. They finally realize this fact.
    Trapdoor . . maybe. Ruger #1(and others ) no sir. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FS . . . would respectfully have to disagree with your last statement. IMO it will not make any 458S weapon into a 45-70. Especially an AR platform.
    This is the reason that the AR/458 is abandoned by many AR owners. They finally realize this fact.
    Trapdoor . . maybe. Ruger #1(and others ) no sir. --- SAWMAN

45-70 was 400-500 gr slug at about 1300 fps was how I learned. Now day they are loaded up to almost elephant guns spec.
    The .458 soccom loads below look to be good ones. No sure of the barrel length that is used. From google.
    Not really enough case capacity to do more, but 400 grain bullet at 1500 plus fps for a charging bear in a light wt semiauto rifle sounds like a good combination.
    Can not do what the super loaded 45-70 rounds will do in a heavy marlin lever gun.
    Bullet mass/type Velocity Energy
    250 gr (16 g) SP 655 m/s (2,150 ft/s) 3,478 J (2,565 ft⋅lbf)
    300 gr (19 g) HP 580 m/s (1,900 ft/s) 3,261 J (2,405 ft⋅lbf)
    325 gr (21 g) FTX 566 m/s (1,860 ft/s) 3,384 J (2,496 ft⋅lbf)
    405 gr (26 g) JFP 489 m/s (1,600 ft/s) 3,148 J (2,322 ft⋅lbf)

Top Bottom