• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I figured I would do a separate post on my new toy the PTR 91. I did alot of reading and research before buying and I saw a few pop up on here for sale. Almost jumped on one but just was not ready.

So My PTR 91 is sorta a unicorn. It's the newest PTR 91 they offer. Come with rail, paddle mag release, and the Navy Steel SEF Lower. Lots of expensive upgrades. As you can see below to add some of these goodies.

Forgot to add. They also thought about us... The barrel is threaded for standard .30 threads. So my QD for the YHM Ti-QD went right on no adapters needed.

Source>>> http://www.investmentgradefirearms.com/jld-ptr-91-services-and-upgrades/

Optic Rail Install

Optic Rail Part
    $110
    Weld on Optic Rail
    $245

Paddle Mag Install

Paddle Mag Install Labor
    $275
    Paddle Mag Lever Part
    $65
    Paddle Mag Contact Piece and Mag Catch Parts (not all PTRs need these
    parts, some come with the correct pieces)
    $70

Pic of the PTR 91.

ECnkVLp.jpg

I picked this up used and got it for under 1k to me. The big bonus they already installed the Enhanced buffer. This is about $100 option and makes a huge difference in the way the rifle kicks. It's like me shooting the HK93 (.223) but throwing out a .308.

It's does not eat brass like some say... Daezee and I inspected all the brass we shot today and it's very re-loadable. No Issues. They just have the HK branded stripes on them just all my other HK's do...

One big thing is I am not digging the green look. Just might be another HK order in play for a keymod rail and new black butt stock.

Some good reading on these puppies...

http://www.commanderzero.com/?p=3427

Oh and Extra Mags are like $5 Each... Yes I'm Serious!!! You just can't go wrong.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Never seen one before but I'm in love. It could be pink. Cool is cool. Lol

Yea very nice .308... I tried the AR-10 route and just was not digging it. I like this much better and I'm an HK person. I want to own them all!!!

The fore arm and stocks are dirt cheap for these things. I thought about getting some Brownell's Aluma-Hyde and painting them FDE just to make it different and unique...

I still have that 1x spitfire on it but ordered a Simmons 1 - 6 x24 (30mm tube) and mount. Did not want to invest alot on optics for it. If I did not sell my second ACOG I would have mount it right away. :( and not going to remove the other from my 16" 300 BO build.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is there anyone in the NWFL or nearby AL that welds on a rail to G3 type rifles. I have one it needs that. I will have to look into the enhanced buffer system since I was not aware of it.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Is there anyone in the NWFL or nearby AL that welds on a rail to G3 type rifles. I have one it needs that. I will have to look into the enhanced buffer system since I was not aware of it.

Maybe JJ but I would probably not trust anyone else around here to do something like that. I have lots of resources in other areas that would do a factory job.

Another option is attach on of these. I have used them on my MP5 K and worked well...

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-...Mount-For-HK-MP5-G3-PTR-93-Models-118p762.htm

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    I bought one of the early PTR-91s several years ago. My brother owns it now. It was one heck of a shooter. I put the HK collapsible stock on mine.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Maybe JJ but I would probably not trust anyone else around here to do something like that. I have lots of resources in other areas that would do a factory job.

Another option is attach on of these. I have used them on my MP5 K and worked well...

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-...Mount-For-HK-MP5-G3-PTR-93-Models-118p762.htm
    I have something similar to what is shown in link, but I do not consider those to be secure with a larger scope on the gun. Welding is the way to go. If I have to do it over again I would op for one with rail. I purchased during one of the obama pre-election scares. To weld a rail on the gunsmith needs to have the right equipment for that sort welding. The metal on the PTR is not thick. I could go talk Alan over at ole frontier if he can do it or ask who can in this area.

The receiver is thin sheet metal and honestly I am not sure how ones welds a rail on to such thin metal. I assume via some sort of contact welding. One must not mess up the heat treat or deform the metal, but still have a strong weld. There are people that do specialize in such work, but I just do not know if anyone local here does that.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I bought one of the early PTR-91s several years ago. My brother owns it now. It was one heck of a shooter. I put the HK collapsible stock on mine.

I still have the 93 (.223) I got from you. Love it very nice shooter...

One thing on these clones. Is that there is always quality HK parts inside.

omVmdBv.jpg

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's going to take somebody with a TIG (commonly called Heliarc) to weld one of these rails on. Should be no problem for a good weldor.

RugerFan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looks nice. Green is different, might grow on you. I'd keep it as-is for awhile and shoot it.

I have a ejection port buffer on my pre-ban HK-91, also added the HK bi-pod.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nice. I kinda like the green.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Never had an issue with any of my HK bolts. But I'm what you call a professional. Don't try this at home. Lol

Nice video though. Thanks for posting.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Got the new scope in and mounted it... Can't wait to try it out. I used my laser boresighter and put the new scope right where the 1x spitfire was setup since it was dead on at 200 yards.

The Scope I got. 89 on Amazon not a bad deal. Will see how she holds up.

VmBO1bX.jpg

Had a little help from my little helper. Emily (5) the grand baby.

Dc93RC2.jpg

IN89T8X.jpg

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My tablet is messed up. Does that box say Simmons or Steiner ?? --- SAWMAN

Simmons

Did not want to spend big bucks on this. I have them on the Bolt Guns...

Latest posts

Top Bottom