• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have one of these with what I think is the original wooden box. I understand that it was used as a training rifle and has a target peep sight and is very heavy (bull barrel). Not sure how old it is though I think it is WWII era...pics attached. The person that my grandfather bought it from tried to make a monte carlo stock and painted an eagle on the stock. In addition, the mag doesn't feed cleanly and I use a shim to get it to feed...I bought an extra magazine for it as I thought maybe it was the mag, but I'm thinking maybe it is actually something in the mag well....given that and the pictures I posted...how would you value a rifle like this? IMG_0048.JPG IMG_0050.JPG IMG_0046.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0048.JPG
      IMG_0048.JPG
      248.1 KB · Views: 197
    • IMG_0050.JPG
      IMG_0050.JPG
      145.5 KB · Views: 193
    • IMG_0046.JPG
      IMG_0046.JPG
      239.6 KB · Views: 220
    • IMG_0049.JPG
      IMG_0049.JPG
      165.6 KB · Views: 207

snowbound

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nice rifle. Many of the the 65s were sold on the civilian market in the last year of the war. After the war production continued with the 165. This model had a lighter barrel and stock as well as a plastic trigger guard and no front sight guards. Ones U.S. property marked bring the most - $700 and up. Even later, H&R offered the 150 model with a ladder sight. In the late 50s or very early 60s, H&R was contracted for another modified Leatherneck as an M14 training rifle. CMP sold some of these a while back new in the box.

My retired Marine brother-in-law gave me his 165 5 years ago. His father picked it up for him used in 1960 when he went off to boot camp. It was wrapped in a blanket and not fired for 55 years. It barely cycled until "One Shot" took the bolt apart and cleaned the dried oil which had turned into a shellac. My original Reising mag performs well. My aftermarket mags not so.

Use the search function on the gunboards.com 22 Cal subforum. They have extensive info as well as a serial number database.

Informative video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0F_tltxO7k

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    good thought on the forum. I have visited it before though don't spend time there like I do on this one or FTF...I've never met JJ but heard he is a wealth of information so he may weigh in when he sees my specimen. I wouldn't mind restoring this rifle but right now, it is pretty much to look at...or maybe sell it too. The mag I bought, I'm not sure that it is aftermarket or surplus...anyways, I have a suspicion that the mag well is messed up and to do a full restoration, I'd have to find/acquire another stock to replace it with as well.

snowbound

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Original magazines are readily available on gunbroker and ebay. They run around $75 and are marked Reising. Four years ago I ran across an H&R 65 parts gun at the Milton Gunshow. It was a real beater, however the stock was restorable. Good luck

Top Bottom