• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Free Cigars

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So you inquire about a gun listed for sale on a gun sale site. The person has it listed for just a few dollars over what you can buy a new one for from a reputable dealer.
    You nicely explain that to the person and tell them that you are interested but you think that the price is a little high for a used gun and then they say... "Well mine is new, its never been shot."

At what point is it a "used" gun?

Opinions please:

Last edited:

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    When a 4473 is filled out... it's used.

That being said, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A lot of people sell guns listing them as NIB (New In Box) or NOS (New, Old Stock), meaning it's never been fired by the owner. So technically a 20 year old weapon can be NIB or NOS. Also remember, depending on when it was bought, the seller might have paid more for it than they go for now.

Case in point when I bought my Taurus PT-111 G2 I paid $321.00, less than 6 months later they were selling for approximately $250.00 or so. I remember thinking to myself I should have waited before I bought mine.

Most sellers want what they paid, and get an attitude when you question their pricing. Their attitude is I paid X amount for it new, it's never been fired so it's still worth X amount of dollars.

As stated above a weapon is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, seller might have to wait for the right buyer to realize their price.

Just my opinion and another point of view of what new means per se.

Last edited:

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve sold a few guns that I never got around to shooting, I list them with the statement (as new in the box) unfired since it left the factory. I guess it’s up to the individual as to what they are willing to sell their gun for. I’ve got a pair of Smith&Wesson model 29 revolvers that I bought in 1981 that have never been fired , I’d consider them as new in the box and worth more than a currently produce model 29. Opinions vary , that’s mine.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    POST #2 is correct. Truth told, its like virginity, its gone after the first "encounter" and will never be a virgin again.

Like new in box, As New, Unfired by me, only tested at factory and similar are "discriptions of condition" not prior ownership which would be: Used. Pre-owned, unfired is pretty specific. "Mint Condition" means zip to me. Folks should use grading standards easily referenced like those from the NRA. We often see Like New, less than XX rounds down the pipe: No it isn't!

"New Old Stock" is an older model that has never been sold and documented on a 4473. Will only be available from a FFL.

Firearm sold and never listed on a 4473. Other than Sales that predated use of 4473, there is one exception I know of. The kicker is a FFL gets a NEW firearm and wants to add it to his private collection. It's added to inventory A&D Log, as Acquisition then Disposition to himself without a Form 4473. If after a year, the FFL decides to sell the gun from his private collection: he may do so privatly without a 4473 but he is mandated to collect, document and retain the same buyer/gun info in his books. Most FFLs just put it in Acquisitions and sell it as he would any other gun with the NICS. Firearm is USED.

Last edited:

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As a side note, I consider a firearm that has been modified or aftermarket parts added worth less not more especially a Glock with a aftermarket trigger

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    With a new car,as soon as you fill out the paperwork and it is titled,even before you open the door to get in to drive it off the lot,it is a used vechicle.
    I believe that it is different with a gun. IF - -> it is actually new in box,if it has not been taken out and fiddled with,if a revo or 1911 does not have the tell tale marks of looked at/played with,if ALL stuff was in the box as it left the factory,if it were still oiled appropriately,I say it is new and a new price is appropriate.
    Problem is this - -> sellers here sell as new with 200rds fired. People here list "As new" or "NIB" then state "test fired only".
    To me - -> "new old stock" is still new if the condition as in my above. ANIB is a used gun. "Test fired only" is fuckin' used (Jeeeeeze guys !!!).
    And while we are at it,the one that always makes me say "WTF" is either "no trades" . . then "trades",or need the money for my cute little daughters liver transplant next week or she will die . . quickly followed up by "accepting some (silly) trade".
    And - - -> while I am on a tear,one of the stooopidest things to say is . . . "no recoil" . . . IOW . . . "The laws of physics are not applicable in my little corner of the world." Ok to use with the Captains over on PFF but sounds kinda silly over here. ---- SAWMAN

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    I see a lot of people selling new and used guns for more than what you can get them for from various outlets.
    If it's an odd ball piece or something desirable it may interest me, but i can't pay 600 bucks for a like new ar15 when I can build the same thing for $311 dollars.
    There is also 10 different variations of like new
    I've purchased one as used that had never been shot
    Also purchased one as like new that had holster wear and scratches. It was carried but I guess never fired so it was still considered new to the seller.
    Pics, pics, pics. Then I make a decision in person.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    iv'e worked in a couple of gun shops over the years. both owners said its like a car dealership. once you drive it off the lot, its a used car. once the gun leaves the shop, its a used gun. what someone else paid doesn't matter to me, its fair market value in todays market. i have lost money on lots of guns and have never bought a gun thinking of what i could sell it for. it also drives me crazy when the sale price is say 550 and trade "value" is 650. if cash price is 550, you pretty much set value at 550...

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's exactly like a car lot. It's used as soon as it leaves the property. In the case of a gun shop, as soon as the 4473 is filled out. It sucks but it is what it is. A pet peeve of mine is when I've listed a gun for sale and someone replies I can get it for X online. My reply is usually so go buy that one. My price is my price. Nothing keeping you from ordering online, paying the transfer fee and doing some paperwork.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I believe that some folks really don’t want to sell their gun, they just like showing off their collection. I like and will buy most any 22 hornet rifle that’s not extremely over priced. There’s this KKJ in South Florida that I’ve tried to buy for many years , more than 30 . It’s always been priced at more than double what it’s actually worth. I’m thinking that the next gun show I see it at ,I’m going to buy it ,and at the asking price . At my age now I can see the graveyard much clearer than I can see the end of my money. I have to wonder if he’ll part with it , even if I pay his price. We shall see.

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's exactly like a car lot. It's used as soon as it leaves the property. In the case of a gun shop, as soon as the 4473 is filled out. It sucks but it is what it is. A pet peeve of mine is when I've listed a gun for sale and someone replies I can get it for X online. My reply is usually so go buy that one. My price is my price. Nothing keeping you from ordering online, paying the transfer fee and doing some paperwork.

Cars become used as soon as they are titled to the first owner.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The asking price does not bother me . . HOWEVER . . it drives a few members batshit crazy.
    I understand the asking price vs trade value thing.
    Tons of weapons will go for the as new,when new,when new in the gunshop,price. That should not "baffle" anyone.
    I have AR's and other guns that I will never be able to sell if the market stays like this. However . . . I do not suspect that it will. I will not pay an AR owner for some silly shit that he adds so that he can be cooler than the next dooode. ESPECIALLY colored shit,zombie shit,punisher shit,fake surpressor shit,weird stock shit,cheese grater forearm shit,flip up sight shit,lights shit,laser shit,useless birdcage muzzle device shit,grip storage shit,and various other shit.
    I have my guns,mags,and ammo. Life is good and I do not need to sell my shit or buy your shit. --- SAWMAN

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LOL, that about sums this shit up. :bolt:

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    iv'e worked in a couple of gun shops over the years. both owners said its like a car dealership. once you drive it off the lot, its a used car. once the gun leaves the shop, its a used gun. what someone else paid doesn't matter to me, its fair market value in todays market. i have lost money on lots of guns and have never bought a gun thinking of what i could sell it for. it also drives me crazy when the sale price is say 550 and trade "value" is 650. if cash price is 550, you pretty much set value at 550...

I'll have to disagree on the trade value. If my cash price is 500 I set it at that because it's a good deal and I ultimately need cash. If I say 600 trade it's because if I'm going to give up something without cash I need to trade up. If you don't have money, make it worth my time.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

How many "test drives" has a "new" car had Before someone bought it? It's actually a used car, you're just buying it "as new".

So you inquire about a gun listed for sale on a gun sale site. The person has it listed for just a few dollars over what you can buy a new one for from a reputable dealer.
    You nicely explain that to the person and tell them that you are interested but you think that the price is a little high for a used gun and then they say... "Well mine is new, its never been shot."

At what point is it a "used" gun? Opinions please:

If the gun has never been fired (other than factory tests), it is new only to the 1st buyer, afterward, it's a used gun. If the original owner never fired it, it is like new unfired. If it has been modified such as added trigger group or changed the bcg or stock, etc. It is still a used never fired gun. To me, a used never fired gun is a better deal bc you don't have to worry about the owner not properly breaking in the barrel and should not be subjected to the taxes, s/h if any or ffl fees. Next would be the overall condition. If it "looks" new, then the price should be near a new 1st time sold one less fees/taxes, etc. If it's rusted, discolored etc., then certainly the price should be somewhat lower regardless of new/used status.
    But to argue over a price, especially a few dollars, isn't worth the headache. If the seller doesn't want to lower the price, don't keep on about it. Just pass on it and look elsewhere.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Because the Rules say a Trade Value is required, I just list the Sale price again. If you say No Trades and list Trade Value as some obsurd price, that reinforces your point.

"For sale $500, Trade value $600. Trade for Xgun." If other person offers the Xgun in trade, why should they pay your cushion or depreciate the value of their Xgun? I guess the concept is the Xgun Trader's desire will blind his common sense. Plus or minus cash if fine if your both at market value, foolish to start at $100 deficit. Free country, do as you wish with the willing.

How's that trade value work at a gun shop? Lol, It doesn't! Market Value is the price point (+- supply/demand).

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I see any gun that I don't know for certain is new, is listed at new/near new price, and mods/add-ons don't warrant the price, I just quietly move on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom