• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a chance to get a MAK-90 in really good condition but I don't know very much about them. Interested to hear thoughts and experiences about them. Are they awful, not too great, pretty good, very good....what's your take on them? Thanks.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I assume it is a stamped receiver. The milled steel one I think goes for a lot more It is the sporting version of the chinese AK. Essentially the OEM parts are good. Mine really needed to attention of an armorer for certain things like loose front sight and such. It really depends on the price if it is a good buy. The receiver is about 1.5 mm instead of the 1 mm that most AKs use. If it has after market triggers parts be sure to check disconnecter function. Mine was not threaded at the muzzle and I had to do that myself.

I think mine is a superior AK compared to what some american groups are making and selling.

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This one is a stamped receiver. I've shot it before (years ago) and the sights are good. I'm gonna do what I can to buy the gun, but it's being bought to keep and shoot and I don't anticipate ever selling it. I might have to sell my SKS and pawn my dentures to get it done. The only change to the gun I know of is the standard style stock on it instead of the thumbhole version.

FrommerStop is your AK a MAK 90 also?

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This one is a stamped receiver. I've shot it before (years ago) and the sights are good. I'm gonna do what I can to buy the gun, but it's being bought to keep and shoot and I don't anticipate ever selling it. I might have to sell my SKS and pawn my dentures to get it done. The only change to the gun I know of is the standard style stock on it instead of the thumbhole version.

FrommerStop is your AK a MAK 90 also?
    The one I was speaking is a mak 90 with sufficient US made parts count to legalize the use of a folding stock and I added an ultimak rail with an aim point. The RDS cost me more than the gun did. If it is possible I would hang on to the SKS if it has a fixed 10 round magazine since it likely will not be classed as an assault rifle by most of the proposed gunlaws. But if you can only afford one the MAK 90 is an excellent choice.

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Something to keep in mind on the MAK's are if they're slant or straight cut receivers. Only way to know for sure is by removing the thumbhole stock and checking. Slant cuts aren't very desirable because when they're debanned, they don't look right and therefore aren't worth as much. The gun as a whole are very well made and have excellent triggers. Just keep the gun oiled to keep it from rusting since they are blued. I love my preban and post ban (MAK 90) Chinese AK's. They're light years better than anything domestically produced from IO, Century, Pioneer, etc. I would buy it if the price was right. They're doing nothing but going up in value as long as you don't permanently modify them. Same with the SKS.

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Something to keep in mind on the MAK's are if they're slant or straight cut receivers. Only way to know for sure is by removing the thumbhole stock and checking. Slant cuts aren't very desirable because when they're debanned, they don't look right and therefore aren't worth as much. The gun as a whole are very well made and have excellent triggers. Just keep the gun oiled to keep it from rusting since they are blued. I love my preban and post ban (MAK 90) Chinese AK's. They're light years better than anything domestically produced from IO, Century, Pioneer, etc. I would buy it if the price was right. They're doing nothing but going up in value as long as you don't permanently modify them. Same with the SKS.
    I read about the slant/straight cut thing, but this one has already had astandard wood stock put on it, thumbhole is gone. I haven't shot it in several years, but I remember it being a good shooter.

Top Bottom