• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Santa

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Has anyone read ‘one second after’ by William Forstchen. I just came across this trilogy and find it extremely eye opening. A forward by Newt Gringrich and cited on the floor of congress as an important read about the realities of a EMP attack.
    We would be screwed to say the least.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    More worrisome is severe sunspot activity causing one. from wiki
    The solar storm of 1859 (also known as the Carrington Event)[1] was a powerful geomagnetic storm during solar cycle 10 (1855–1867). A solar coronal mass ejection (CME) hit Earth's magnetosphere and induced one of the largest geomagnetic storms on record, September 1–2, 1859. The associated "white light flare" in the solar photosphere was observed and recorded by British astronomers Richard C. Carrington (1826–1875) and Richard Hodgson (1804–1872). The storm caused strong auroral displays and wrought havoc with telegraph systems. The now-standard unique IAU identifier for this flare is SOL1859-09-01.

A solar storm of this magnitude occurring today would cause widespread electrical disruptions, blackouts and damage due to extended outages of the electrical grid.[2][3] The solar storm of 2012 was of similar magnitude, but it passed Earth's orbit without striking the planet, missing by nine days.[4]

Santa

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am aware that it is fiction and glad it is. The premise of my post is about how unprepared we are at almost all levels for this ‘possibility’. And yes Ebola could walk across our southern border anytime.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FS, that's true but what worries me more is some folks sneaking into the US with Ebola and getting it started up.
    What worries me a lot more is the late of preparedness of our country for a lot of things that i blame on our military, intelligence agencies, and more low level of our presidents.
    A good example are the rare earths that in the last 20 has seen China controlling mining of them. All of our advanced weaponry uses them along just all of the advanced consumer electronics these day. EPA shut down the major USA mine and a buyer is trying to get it going again.
    People look at Ebola, but forget there are many diseases that can deal us harm. Anything that wipes out corn or soybean crops are examples or attacks our livestock.
    The complicated our economies get the more weak links there are for something to go wrong.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In 1989 a Solar Storm blacked out Quebec...remember how badly folks were freaked out by that one...no MTV ;)

In 1972 a solar flare took out a lot of phone lines across the US, I remember my mom was talking to her cousin in Ohio when it all went down...it took months for them to be able to talk again by phone...US Mail kept everyone in slow contact. My Uncle worked for AT&T, said they redesigned everything in the phone system so that was unlikely to happen again with the new style breakers.

Frankly, I think a big solar flare would do us all a world of good. It'd totally either straighten out or wipe out the Millenials...along with reminding everyone not to become too dependent on technology.

Make sure your gear works for all centuries.

Attachments

• tactical as heck.jpg
      tactical as heck.jpg
      56.2 KB · Views: 325

Pudge

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I enjoyed this book not because of the possibility of an EMP but because it tells what very few people actually think of in a disaster scenario. How many people are prepared for those issues in those circumstances? It would definitely be a rough go for a while.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I'm all for being prepared but holy crap are there a bunch of different things to be prepared for. Most don't have the time/ money to prepare for much beyond a few days of anything non standard.

I know that whatever happens though..... I'll have plenty of ammo. Ebola; two to the nucleoprotein, the polymerase get the rest.

I had to Google that last bit.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have not done it, but one should have a large supply stored food and someway to cook it that does not need the power to do. Ammo is good for self defense or maybe trade, but not for a whole lot else unless you plan to rob and kill people. If there is no food, game animals would disappear real fast.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    WHAT??? You all don't have an off grid cabin ready to go with extra parts protected in an faraday cage and supplies buried for quick access...

Oh and lots of gold and min of 10k cash ready also??? oh sorry $9999 so you don't have to fill out that govt form that you took out more than 10k. $%^%$ govt!!!

I am just disappointed with you all now. LOL :)

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    On occassion, its pretty good to be old and not give a damn about EMPs (natural or man made), nukes or zombies. I have grown kids and their families but they're far away in other States, can't do a thing for them. Whatever bubble bursts: have 60 days provisions, bunch of ammo and hunker down while the outside world eats itself (buffer time). After that, it's welcome to the "new normal".

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "Value" of everything is subject to change based on societal conditions. Cash and gold are okay: if things aren't real bad but you will have a hard time breaking that gold coin/ingot for a bag of groceries. Lol. If thing are real bad a can of Spam may have more value than 1oz gold.
    I'd rather have the gold equivalent in long term food provisions and ammo. Some folks do both.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I believe you can trade ammo , in one way or another for what ever you need. I’d rather have several thousand extra rounds of ammunition over gold coins in a long term survival situation.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "Value" of everything is subject to change based on societal conditions. Cash and gold are okay: if things aren't real bad but you will have a hard time breaking that gold coin/ingot for a bag of groceries. Lol. If thing are real bad a can of Spam may have more value than 1oz gold.
    I'd rather have the gold equivalent in long term food provisions and ammo. Some folks do both.

Wild, my thoughts exactly. Everybody talks about gold and silver but nobody seems to realize that if this EMP thingy came to pass the big trucks wouldn't be running so you wouldn't have a place to spend your gold. I chuckle every time I see that ol' boy on tv trying to sell gold and silver..............in exchange for paper money no less. We can't even begin to imagine all the really bad shit that could pop up and ruin our country or even the world.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have not done it, but one should have a large supply stored food and someway to cook it that does not need the power to do. Ammo is good for self defense or maybe trade, but not for a whole lot else unless you plan to rob and kill people. If there is no food, game animals would disappear real fast.

Deer and other big game might disappear but I don't think you'll ever be able to over hunt wild boar!

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Deer and other big game might disappear but I don't think you'll ever be able to over hunt wild boar!
    Do not count on it. I know during the depression in Chicago, pigeons became to find. Most people that live around wild pigs would not eat them. Real hunger changes your perspective on what you are willing to eat. also once they become hunted hard they become harder to hunt with success. It is better to have your food at hand in your house. Out in the woods if you kill something you may also have to kill other hungry humans if you want to keep your kill.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    On occassion, its pretty good to be old and not give a damn about EMPs (natural or man made), nukes or zombies. I have grown kids and their families but they're far away in other States, can't do a thing for them. Whatever bubble bursts: have 60 days provisions, bunch of ammo and hunker down while the outside world eats itself (buffer time). After that, it's welcome to the "new normal".

I hear ya! I am in the same boat, and Hurricane Ivan was my eye opener. Luckily I had plenty of charcoal and wood and was able to grill, and smoke, food for the two weeks without power. That made me want to be more prepared, since it showed that "the first 3 are on you" is a commercial jingle, not a fact! Day power came back on was the first day Red Cross came by offering food, water, and ice. We were teaming with neighbors in runs to Alabama for the last two. Since then I have bought more long term provisions, made plans, and invested in steel and lead over gold and silver!

Not wanting it to happen, but have to provide for the time I can last with the wife.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom