• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I am sure you were just kidding. Obviously, you would not be good to go.:)

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Post regional or nation wide EMP: What to do with all the bodies? Many in our population are dependent on services that are heavily power dependent. Dialysis patients, insulin dependent patients, oxygen therapy, heart/ lung system supports, nursing home patients... The list is long. The book One Second after steps you through what can happen.

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    On occassion, its pretty good to be old and not give a damn about EMPs (natural or man made), nukes or zombies. I have grown kids and their families but they're far away in other States, can't do a thing for them. Whatever bubble bursts: have 60 days provisions, bunch of ammo and hunker down while the outside world eats itself (buffer time). After that, it's welcome to the "new normal".

Being able to live 60 days without income or shopping can help a person weather many kinds of situations, emp, job loss, medical issues... Sounds like wise words to my ears.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not your job to clean up bodies unless its on your property/water supply. Lol. A lot of disease emanates from mass body decay. Distance and time lapse work to your advantage.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not you job to clean up bodies unless its on your property/warer supply. Lol. A lot of disease emanates from mass body decay. Distance and time lapse work to your advantage.

Can you cite any references that dead bodies normally spread disease. Normally if people have just died from plague whether the dead are picked up right away or not the disease still continues. I am not convinced that just presence of fresh bodies causes disease and I am not aware of when battle field dead not being buried causing plague. But please educate me if there is information to the contrary.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FrommerStop, I've known my info, didn't rely on youtb and didn't bother watching. Much better sources if you search for it, but use what you prefer.

Mass "Non diseased" bodies give off toxins during decay it can contaminate ground water (gastroenteritis) and if sufficient quantities of bodies: the concentration of odor can be extremely toxic in enclosed or poorly vented areas or no wind disruption.

I don't know the percentages of a population that are carrying infectious diseases, CDC has some numbers if you want them. Bodies that carried infectious diseases before death still pose a exposure risk as contagions after deatlh and until such time as the virus (AIDS, Hep, TB ect) die from life cycle, exposure to elements or destroyed during decomp. So more bodies the higher the risk.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FrommerStop, I've known my info, didn't rely on youtb and didn't bother watching. Much better sources if you search for it, but use what you prefer.

Mass "Non diseased" bodies give off toxins during decay it can contaminate ground water (gastroenteritis) and if sufficient quantities of bodies: the concentration of odor can be extremely toxic in enclosed or poorly vented areas or no wind disruption.

I don't know the percentages of a population that are carrying infectious diseases, CDC has some numbers if you want them. Bodies that carried infectious diseases before death still pose a exposure risk as contagions after deatlh and until such time as the virus (AIDS, Hep, TB ect) die from life cycle, exposure to elements or destroyed during decomp. So more bodies the higher the risk.
    One does not want any carcass human or otherwise in intimate contact with your water supply. Yes a decaying carcass stinks, but as long as you do not keep one inside or next to your residence it is not such problem to your health. I knew someone from the Punjab where perhaps a million people were massacred in late '40's, he mentioned seeing refugees being attacked and finding skulls in the field. Nothing about plagues.
    The side effects of leaving bodies around would be increases in critters that scavenge bodies that may become dangerous that would include dogs that have become use to eating people. If hunting I would not want to eat a critter like a possum, hog, coon, or bear that had been feasting on human bodies. For one thing the flesh of human beings that are at the apex of the food chain are full of environmental toxins that would be passed onto scavengers.

You still might may be right, but at this point I am not seeing the evidence. Normally large numbers of bodies are put into non-capped and unlined pits call mass graves that do not prevent contact with ground water from putrefying bodies but does put the bodies out of the reach of most scavengers. If the bodies are cremated that is better, but it takes a lot fuel to incinerate bodies.
    Relative to disease it is the living that I would fear most. The living bodies of humans in poor health typically release feces and other materials that are more infectious. I am not sure for how long after they are dead that diseased bodies remain infectious. I know anthrax survives very long in the soils. Other diseases not so much.

Top Bottom