• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Red Cross is a joke, and not the funny kind.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I imagine a guy vigorously filing on a gold bar to make exact change, while a guy with a loaf of fresh bread says no thanks; got any Salt? Lol
    Gold does have a market value as long as there is a market willing to trade in it. Ammo tends to cost more every year. You could compare old verses years later prices and view it as interest/profit. Store it properly, it's precious metal too!

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I imagine a guy vigorously filing on a gold bar to make exact change, while a guy with a loaf of fresh bread says no thanks; got any Salt? Lol
    Gold does have a market value as long as there is a market willing to trade in it. Ammo tends to cost more every year. You could compare old verses years later prices and view it as interest/profit. Store it properly, it's precious metal too!
    think about it. Do you really want to sell ammo to someone that might use to it to rob and kill you with. I rather sell them salt and if you really want to do well sell booze. Decent whisky will sell at a premium.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    think about it. Do you really want to sell ammo to someone that might use to it to rob and kill you with. I rather sell them salt and if you really want to do well sell booze. Decent whisky will sell at a premium.

I said stock up on ammo not trade/sell. I may well trade ammo/food depending on societal conditions and security if the need for something else was greater. Just like a current FTF gun transaction in some parking lot: I have a out of sight backup (person), you should too.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Could a lightning strike be considered a EMP ??
    I tried to ask jj but he is chaseing poon down on the coast. --- SAWMAN

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Could a lightning strike be considered a EMP ??
    I tried to ask jj but he is chaseing poon down on the coast. --- SAWMAN

Yes, Lightning is a high voltage discharge which in turn produces a corresponding magnetic field. Different from direct lighting hit, some similar types of damage. As radiant heat is to fire, EMP is to Lightning. Like Lightning itself there are too many variables as to area, distance and damage.

Some electrical engineer or power lineman probably has better info to share.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Red Cross is a joke, and not the funny kind.

Early on in my career I worked with a lot of WW2 vets and they all seemed to hate the Red Cross. I never really found out why although one did tell me; "Hell boy they charged us for do-nuts".

Santa

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think we can all agree that being in this geographical area and have had our ass kicked in the past by storms, it’s a good idea to have what we need for us and our families for at least 2 weeks set aside. Now for the long term scenario certain other skills and mindset are needed.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think we can all agree that being in this geographical area and have had our ass kicked in the past by storms, it’s a good idea to have what we need for us and our families for at least 2 weeks set aside. Now for the long term scenario certain other skills and mindset are needed.

Good words for the wise here!

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yes, Lightning is a high voltage discharge which in turn produces a corresponding magnetic field. Different from direct lighting hit, some similar types of damage. As radiant heat is to fire, EMP is to Lightning. Like Lightning itself there are too many variables as to area, distance and damage.

Some electrical engineer or power lineman probably has better info to share.

Years ago I lost a couple of very expensive Remote Telemetry Units to the EMP of a lightning strike. Each unit cost almost $80K and they were spaced 1/8 of a mile apart 660’ to be exact. I don’t think I would of lost them if they hadn’t been transmitting data when the strike happened

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From what I've read, generally; power off and disconnected plus antenna/other connections disconnected is the best protection EMP shielded or not. Precautions for specific equipment may vary while operation of some equipment must continue and lightning strikes and EMP potential are indiscriminate.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From what I've read, generally; power off and disconnected plus antenna/other connections disconnected is the best protection EMP shielded or not. Precautions for specific equipment may vary while operation of some equipment must continue and lightning strikes and EMP potential are indiscriminate.
    For computers I now use a wireless connection between the ATT router and the computer after getting damage from lightning. I have lost four router ATT boxes so far.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    When I lost the 2 RTU’s I was in the middle of recording vibration data from the detonation of 20 lb’s of dynamite 200’ underground doing seismic survey with geo phones connected to 15 separate RTU’s covering 3.75 miles. Storm blew in with no warning and the first strike did the damage to the 2 units. When the first one reporting went down the whole recording system paused and I had to do a manual overrideI and shutdown of the recording system. Plus take down a 65’ telescoping antenna with lighting popping praying I didn’t get hit while cranking the antenna down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike463

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are some rather interesting unclassified/declassified documents on the EMP effect on various government websites. Not every electrical device subjected to an EMP impulse was damaged.
    I researched low yield (tens of kilotons) exoatmospheric test data, and given North Korea's progress in the nuclear weapons field and ICBM development, we should be concerned. While one low yield burst space burst would not fry every electronic device in North America, they only need a few to seriously set us back (at least by DPRK standards).
    Then again, a coronal mass ejection (Carrington event) is also a threat-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ukQhycKOFw

Mike463

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are some rather interesting unclassified/declassified documents on the EMP effect on various government websites. Not every electrical device subjected to an EMP impulse was damaged.
    I researched low yield (tens of kilotons) exoatmospheric test data, and given North Korea's progress in the nuclear weapons field and ICBM development, we should be concerned. While one low yield space burst would not fry every electronic device in North America, they only need a few to seriously set us back (at least by DPRK standards).
    Then again, a coronal mass ejection (Carrington event) is also a threat. We missed being hit by a CME in 2012 by one week-

I researched low yield (tens of kilotons) exoatmospheric test data, and given North Korea's progress in the nuclear weapons field and ICBM development, we should be concerned. While one low yield space burst would not fry every electronic device in North America, they only need a few to seriously set us back (at least by DPRK standards).
    Then again, a coronal mass ejection (Carrington event) is also a threat. In 2012, we missed being hit by a major CME by one week.

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Simple fix for all this....just turn your home into a faraday cage. A few hundred rolls of aluminum foil and you're good to go....

Vp1979

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    can't find that author or his books...tried interweb search...little help please
    Mark Goodwin? C. A Rudolf? Jack Hunt? Peter Weidemeir Fact or fiction series? Aftermath, EMP survival. Cyber Warfare, One Day After One Year After, Ava's Crucible Aftershock Doomsday

Top Bottom