• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My 15 year old Tundra was getting a little tired. I could have put a small amount of work into it and it would have probably run another 200K miles. But I needed and wanted a 4WD truck again! Been getting myself stuck way too many times in the woods and needing to be yanked out etc...

So when I saw a deal pop up in GA on this truck I made the 3hr and 45 min journey and brought it home last Saturday. New never titled, but used as a service loaner. So it had a few thousand miles on it. And it's basically what I thought didn't exist. It's a basic 4x4 with just a touch of amenities. Manual transfer case with no electronic failure with the 4x4 system!!!! Thought I would never find one of these again. No carpet in it! Big plus to me! And has trailer package with integrated trailer brake controller etc... It's a work truck package with a few additions!

And gas mileage is looking quite promising with about 23 MPG on my commute to work. Has the 5.3L V8 with 3.42 rear end gears.

Never bought something this new before. But the deal was there and the timing of finding the truck worked in my favor. First GM vehicle for me. Owned Ford, Dodge, Nissan, and Toyota. But never a GM product. Here's to hoping that this one lasts as long and is good to me as the Tundra was. Need some new tires and a level kit soon. But loving it already!

Attachments

• IMG_20190607_100634662_HDR.jpg
      IMG_20190607_100634662_HDR.jpg
      1.8 MB · Views: 335
    • IMG_20190601_171318338_HDR.jpg
      IMG_20190601_171318338_HDR.jpg
      1 MB · Views: 290

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    That's awesome man! I've been enjoying my '14 Sierra but I can't leave things stock. Already put a cold air intake and a tuner on it, mine came with a level kit already installed. It rides and handles sooo much better than my '06.
    7a288d342c7ad74ab36938f935f6fe96.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's awesome man! I've been enjoying my '14 Sierra but I can't leave things stock. Already put a cold air intake and a tuner on it, mine came with a level kit already installed. It rides and handles sooo much better than my '06.
    7a288d342c7ad74ab36938f935f6fe96.jpg

I plan to leave it stock as long I can stand it till the warranty is out! I did buy the Range Technology V4 disable device. The truck seems to shift and react much better without it going into V4 mode! And I know the AFM system has come a long way. But I don't want to be one of the few people down the road having to replace lifters because of the AFM system.

I will put more aggressive tires within factory specs on it though. It came with some very crappy hwy tires. Why in the world would they put strictly hwy/street tires on a 4wd is beyond me. I guess it's because they are quiet and people don't use trucks as trucks anymore!

I plan to make add level kit to get slightly bigger tires on it. I just need more aggressive tread for the woods! I don't want to kill the gas mileage completely with huge lift and tires! Then tune possibly. Not into the whole louder exhaust. So that will stay stock.

I was just so excited to find a basic 4x4 truck in the new market! I am not into paying for all the fancy crap going into trucks these days. Mine hauls stuff and dead deer etc...

Last edited:

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I plan to leave it stock as long I can stand it till the warranty is out! I did buy the Range Technology V4 disable device. The truck seems to shift and react much better without it going into V4 mode! And I know the AFM system has come a long way. But I don't want to be one of the few people down the road having to replace lifters because of the AFM system.

I will put more aggressive tires within factory specs on it though. It came with some very crappy hwy tires. Why in the world would they put strictly hwy/street tires on a 4wd is beyond me. I guess it's because they are quiet and people don't use trucks as trucks anymore!

I plan to make add level kit to get slightly bigger tires on it. I just need more aggressive tread for the woods! I don't want to kill the gas mileage completely with huge lift and tires! Then tune possibly. Not into the whole louder exhaust. So that will stay stock.

I was just so excited to find a basic 4x4 truck in the new market! I am not into paying for all the fancy crap going into trucks these days. Mine hauls stuff and dead deer etc...

The AFM doesnt act like the outgoing DOD. AFM is Active Fuel Management. That being said it disables fuel as opposed to oil pressure to the lifters. A big duh-huh moment there in regards to GM's engineers. Good on you for disabling it anyway as it turns the truck into a turd. I disabled mine long ago as well. Look into Rough Country for the leveling kit and with the stock offset wheels you can run 33's. Any aftermarket wheels with any additional offset will require trimming of the inner wheel wells to run the 33's. A tuner will make your truck more driveable and will help it react like a truck should, go when you want to, accept throttle inputs more quickly, shift when you ask it to, etc. But again, understand your concerns with warranty. I couldnt wait much after 40k until I made the jump, and would not look back since then. I'm not seeing (I'm a service/store manager of a local automotive joint) any real issues with these trucks yet. Haven't seen any balljoint and/or bearing issues that I have from the previous GM products. Just ensure your oil filter stays tight and run a legitimate intake system cleaning (incl. throttle body cleaning and solvent into intake through induction) as the direct injection leads to buildup on the valves as there's not a wet intake charge. A catch-can goes a long way in this regard.

Love these new trucks and I can assure you that you should as well. I'll post a pic of mine from my phone momentarily.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Silverádo
    2ff94e6dad301a24b7de513a45e96d1b.jpg
    43dcad8879313f0801cdff72675b5664.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Silverádo
    2ff94e6dad301a24b7de513a45e96d1b.jpg
    43dcad8879313f0801cdff72675b5664.jpg

Nice looking rig. I've read about the catch can. I'm old school and just wish a motor could be a motor without all these gadgets to make them "BETTER".

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I've been doing some research on the catch can thing and still debating the "return on investment." Ksenter, which can did you go with?
    I installed a S&B cold air intake which had a noticeable difference in response, exhaust will be down the road but I've been impressed with the adjustment and capability of the tuner. I plan on getting a custom tune from Diablew in the near future.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I haven't done a catch can. I do the throttle and injection cleaning semiregularly

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I haven't done a catch can. I do the throttle and injection cleaning semiregularly

Catch can seems to be a non issue if you disable the V4??? Is my thinking right! The only time I plan to even allow V4 is if I go on a long interstate run or something. I'm already getting 22-23 MPG with straight V8 mode driving from Baker to Eglin on the Indy 500 (Hwy 85).

I can't really complain much about MPG since I got 15 on a good day in my older Tundra!

And I also am not completly convinced on the Catch Can addition. I really can't tell if it's snake oil or not! Since putting the Range Technology device on, the truck shifts much smoother and reacts much better to throttle input since it doesn't have to come out of sleepy V4 mode! Didn't want to do a tune and worry about warranty stuff! Got quite a few miles left on this warranty. I get just take the Range device off and I'm back to AFM stock without anyone noticing.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Incorrect. Catch can is to catch oil from pcv system leading into the intake. The idea is no mitigate buildup on the valves, which is typically cleaned as the air/fuel mixture passes in the intake tract. Being direct injection there is no fuel in the intake tract.

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I can't believe it came without the "Bubba Packge"..... Dual chrome tip exhaust, lift kit, Z71 stickers on the back of the bed and 20" rims/tires...optional is the dog kennel in the bed...just sayin'

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can't believe it came without the "Bubba Packge"..... Dual chrome tip exhaust, lift kit, Z71 stickers on the back of the bed and 20" rims/tires...optional is the dog kennel in the bed...just sayin'

Yep, GMC tends to keep it a little more low key as far as all the badging. I have seen the Z71 stickers on some GMC models. But not near as many as Chevy versions. Mine just has a tiny 4x4 badge just in front of the side mirrors. That's it. I like it that way! And I"m not a big fan of exhaust mods! I don't like the constant tone in the cap etc...

Overall, I am very happy with the truck after having it for just 1.5 weeks so far. Only thing that will change before hunting season is a camper shell and more aggressive tires. No necessarily bigger tires. Just something other than the dang HWY tires that came on it. You'd think that they wouldn't put HWY/street only tires on a 4x4 model. But they do and did!

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    what kind of mileage are you getting? I have the 5.3L in my Silverado 2WD and I average 19 MPG... Until I pull the boat, then it's like 9....

Top Bottom