• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have read and been told that a 1 in 7" twist 5.56 barrel will cause 55 grain bullets to sling apart due to over rotation. Has anyone here experienced that?

In the next 6 months or so I would like to get either a dissipator or a 20" A2 profile upper for my next build. The uppers I have looked at at PSA are 1-7 and since I am cheap I pretty much always end up buying 55 grain ammo. Will this be a problem?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Really,the actual weight of the bullet has nothing to do with centrifugal force pulling the bullet apart.
    It is more a factor of twist rate and the bullets forward velocity. Of course,the lighter the weight of the bullet,the faster you can load it. But if you compair a 40,45,50,55,and 60gr bullet at the same speed,from the same twist bbls . . . no difference.
    Go forth and shoot my son. --- SAWMAN

Hot Iron

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A 1 in 7'' twist barrel will cause super explosive varmint bullets to come apart right out of the barrel . Ask me how I know . Did not get a T-shirt but almost destroyed a chronograph however.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have had and seen lightweight thin jacketed varmint bullets come apart pretty consistently in 1/7 barrels. Never seen it with 55gr 193 and I've shot a lot of it through 1/7 guns.

Hot Iron

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sorry Sawman , respectfully I know for a fact that some will indeed come apart , Not a 193 FMJ nor a heavy jacket bullet but many varmint bullets are not designed to be rotated that fast . . You are correct that it does not have anything to do with the weight but rather has to do with the construction of the bullet itself . Many 55 grain flat base varmint bullets were originally designed for 1 in 14" twist barrels back in the day so a 1 in 7" is rotating them much, much faster. If pushed to full velocity the very light jacketed bullets will explode almost immediately upon exiting the barrel. I reread the original post and now figured he was going to use 193 ball as he stated he would use cheap ammo so he will be OK . Sorry , the bottom paragraph of his post did not show up the first time I looked at it. Carry on.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What I have learned here is that thin jacketed bullets do not take high speed rotation well. For low velocity cartridges it seems that upping the rotational force via a faster rifling pitch might be a way to get expansion. This should especially be true for larger diameter bullets.

Top Bottom