• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Just wondered if some of you more knowledgeable AR guys could comment on the pros and cons of each setup? I had a red dot then went to a carry handle (comfortable with this from the military) with a scope, but this puts the scope way up high, but it had to be high to clear the A2 front so I added a bipod. Now it’s too heavy so I got another AR with just BUIS and thought one for short range one for long but after about 800 rounds now I believe long range (for me anything over 400 yards) is gonna be a larger caliber. So I would like to have a red dot for target acquisition speed at closer range but still have some sort of magnification for longer shots. I have several trs-25 red dots and there is a Bushnell tripler with great reviews for less than 200 on Amazon but It does seem to impede the rear BUIS (obviously the carry handle and A2 would have to go). What is your setup and what is your philosophy of use (PoU)? Thanks!

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Have you considered a LPVO? It's not exactly like a red dot but to me it sounds like one of these would suit your purpose perfectly. You could try something cheaper first like a Vortex Strike Eagle or Primary Arms ACSS and see if you like it. Both of them have illuminated reticles.

If you're set on a dot and want to run magnifiers, remember your dot will magnify as well - you're going to lose some precision. If you run a holographic sight and magnifier you won't have that problem.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here is how for the moment I set up a carrying handle AR build in 7.62x39. I plan to change things in the future. But for now the gun has co-witness of the irons and primary arms red dot positioned similar to same way that my MAK 90 AK is setup with an aimpoint. The aimpoint is a more expensive than the primary arms cheap that I am using. I might be able to put an magnifier on it, but at this moment I have no plans to do. I am not sure how much space it needs.
    I am just playing around until I decide. I would not use such a mounting setup on a precision rifle. This being a close range set up it is not intended for use past 200 yards and mostly for 0-60 yards shooting .

AR top.JPG
    AR cropped.JPG

Attachments

• AR top.JPG
      AR top.JPG
      57.3 KB · Views: 233
    • AR cropped.JPG
      AR cropped.JPG
      78.9 KB · Views: 223

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have found that over the past few years the LPVO tech and quality has made them very viable for close to mid range optics. If your need requires 200-400 yds, a LPVO is excellent. I initially ran an Eotech 512 and a magnifier but found that I rarely used the magn. and the weight was noticable.
    As far as the LPVO, I've owned 1-4x, 1-6x, 1-8x and currently run a Steiner Px4i. The Trijicon 1-8x was cool but pricey and heavy. The reticle for the scope plays a huge role as to the use. Some are too busy for CQB setups but others have just a dot and duplex with no linear lines for yardage adjustments. There's a plethora of options on the market right now and a lot are good quality for a decent price(sub $600).
    For me, optics always come down to 2 factors, use/need and price range. Let's answer those two and the options will narrow.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    LPVO is the overall winner in my book.
    Red dot with magnifier makes sense only if you’ll be removing the magnifier because you need to save weight. Otherwise the weight and cost are the same as a comparable LPVO.
    I could also see a higher magnification scope with an offset red dot.

It depends on how much weight you’re willing to haul around and your budget.

Top Bottom