• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • polebarn

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone still around that works on old stuff? Like a 60’s tube console?

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Might try Ham radio clubs. Some of the operators are very skilled working on older Ham radios. Maybe those skills would transfer to a console radio.

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Gateswood . . . no wait . . . never mind. --- SAWMAN

I drove that way a week or so ago and pretty sure they were tearing it down.

If you don't have luck anywhere else then maybe try Blues Angel music. Maybe the folks that work on old guitar amps would be able to help you.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    gateswood is in the trash heap now...
    there used to be a small shop close to there , I will look for it..

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    ^^^^^ Yep,them crickets and associated smell were a little much. Right by the front door too . . . WOW !!
    I liked Jimmy though,and enjoyed talking guns with him. I still see one of his daughters every now and then. Gotta ask about him next time I see her. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Thanks for posting sir.
    I remember those RCA tube testing machines. Trying to remember where they used to be. Maybe Western Auto,Sears,Reynolds Hardware,etc,etc.
    Remember that you plugged your tube into the appropriate spot at the top. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ^^^^^ Yep,them crickets and associated smell were a little much. Right by the front door too . . . WOW !!
    I liked Jimmy though,and enjoyed talking guns with him. I still see one of his daughters every now and then. Gotta ask about him next time I see her. --- SAWMAN

Some of us were not pleased with how little recognition, in fact none, that he got from the ERGC when he retired and left the area.

He was not always always the most tactful when it came to disagreeing with people, but his role in supporting that club for many years did deserve better than what he got. I joined that club in 1985.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yep,he did a lot for ERML. He always told me about the fights that he was in for the club. IIRC he was the president for some years.
    I joined PRPC in 2002 and he always gave me a hard time about it. If you ever wanted an opinion about anything ol' Jimmy would surely give it to you . . . NOTHING held back. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep,he did a lot for ERML. He always told me about the fights that he was in for the club. IIRC he was the president for some years.
    I joined PRPC in 2002 and he always gave me a hard time about it. If you ever wanted an opinion about anything ol' Jimmy would surely give it to you . . . NOTHING held back. --- SAWMAN

It was the last time he was president that caused the major problem between him and the rest of the club leadership. He basically signed up some new members a couple of months before an upcoming election got them to attend and vote him in. He explained his reasons to me for doing so which included him being a bigger SOB than the county Commissioner that was trying to shut the club down. Club survived and is doing well with the new purchase of land. They need a permit from the county to start removing dirt from the new purchase for new ranges.
    Depending on the the direction of the board they have a possibility of become a premier range for this area. membership is just about 1000 now with RSO's always on duty. Their strong point is that they have an impact area that probably will not get built on due it being wetlands. The PRPC is going be surrounded by residential housing and that will create problems for sure. The surrounding land has already been zoned residential.

Champ62

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is a guy just north of the airport that works on old stuff. Can’t recall name, but I’ll try to recover it.
    John McDowell Electronics

In Ferry Pass

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It was the last time he was president that caused the major problem between him and the rest of the club leadership. He basically signed up some new members a couple of months before an upcoming election got them to attend and vote him in. He explained his reasons to me for doing so which included him being a bigger SOB than the county Commissioner that was trying to shut the club down. Club survived and is doing well with the new purchase of land. They need a permit from the county to start removing dirt from the new purchase for new ranges.
    Depending on the the direction of the board they have a possibility of become a premier range for this area. membership is just about 1000 now with RSO's always on duty. Their strong point is that they have an impact area that probably will not get built on due it being wetlands. The PRPC is going be surrounded by residential housing and that will create problems for sure. The surrounding land has already been zoned residential.

Yep, but if he hadn't have been Prez at that time, the joker who running against him would have caved and ERML would have died then. There were a lot of "Don't Make Waves, We're Afraid" board members, still are. ERML needed someone who could stand up to the County and he sure did!! Biggest problem currently for ERML is the surrounding residents...if GUN OWNERS...strike that, if MEMBERS OF ERML would buy those homes/land within a mile, it'd solve more than a few problems for the range. Every time I go up that red dirt road, check for FOR SALE signs...as I'm looking for a house in that area anyway ;)

Same thing for PRPC...if ya plan on being a member and are not buying property around it, even if it's just to use as hunting land/happy buffer zone...well...DUH!

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, but if he hadn't have been Prez at that time, the joker who running against him would have caved and ERML would have died then. There were a lot of "Don't Make Waves, We're Afraid" board members, still are. ERML needed someone who could stand up to the County and he sure did!! Biggest problem currently for ERML is the surrounding residents...if GUN OWNERS...strike that, if MEMBERS OF ERML would buy those homes/land within a mile, it'd solve more than a few problems for the range. Every time I go up that red dirt road, check for FOR SALE signs...as I'm looking for a house in that area anyway ;)

Same thing for PRPC...if ya plan on being a member and are not buying property around it, even if it's just to use as hunting land/happy buffer zone...well...DUH!

I do not disagree with what Jimmy did.
    The residents around ERGC are not in much of a position to cause more harm. The County has ceded the land to the C3 of the ERML which Maxine D negotiated. Before the county owned that land and were leasing it to the club. Most important there is not any pressing safety issue over there. The nearby residents have no standing to close it.

Much of the unbuilt land is in large blocks and requires negotiation to buy it. Maxine D handled the recent purchase of 40 acres from the Estes estate involving multiple family members that were the owners. Not something that a home owner looking for a few acres can do.

What red dirt road? At least up to the turnoff to enter the range it has been paved for a while now.

Buying the land around PRPC. Well, the exit 3 group will be selling that land and at a substantial profit. Just how many millions of dollars do you think we have. I invested 5 k that is chump change in the recent land buy that ERGC did for the new 40 acres. But buying the contiguous land. Well bullets can travel several miles, try and buy several square miles of impact area. If you can see blue sky from the firing line, a bullet can get out because of idiots. There are always irresponsible idiots at any shooting range.

Top Bottom